Currently i'm in the process of sanding down my guitar, just a crappy old strat copy, thought it'd be best to mess around on.

All I have at the moment is a block of wood and some sand paper. Are there any better, quicker tools I can use? Or should I just stick with the sand paper?

Thanks
random orbital sander would work well, but they are expensive to buy (at least here they are) I sanded down a body in less than 1 hour and i was working slowly
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Well, unless you're looking to go to bare wood to stain it, you only really need to scuff sand the finish, in which case, all you'll need is the sandpaper and block. sand it so that you've scuffed up the finish well, start with 60 grit, and move up to 120, 200,320, then finally 400, at which time you'll be more than ready to paint on. good luck, and post pics!
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by bv310
random orbital sander would work well, but they are expensive to buy (at least here they are) I sanded down a body in less than 1 hour and i was working slowly

Ah i'll have a look, but i'm not looked to spend loads.

Quote by deftonesordie
Well, unless you're looking to go to bare wood to stain it, you only really need to scuff sand the finish, in which case, all you'll need is the sandpaper and block. sand it so that you've scuffed up the finish well, start with 60 grit, and move up to 120, 200,320, then finally 400, at which time you'll be more than ready to paint on. good luck, and post pics!

Ah cheers, I better go buy some more sandpaper then lol.
And will do
Hand held belt sander?

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
Hand held belt sander?

Yeh something like that, how much can I pick a cheap/good one up for?
I grabbed an Orbital sander at my local pawn shop for 10 dollars. works like a charm.

take a look for bargains like that, you can't go wrong!
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by deftonesordie
I grabbed an Orbital sander at my local pawn shop for 10 dollars. works like a charm.

take a look for bargains like that, you can't go wrong!

Alright cheers, i'll have a look for them.

Quote by ohspyro89
Don't do that. Those'll pretty much eat into your guitar like it's nothing.

Get a vibrator sander or a random orbital sander. You can get one for like 50 bucks at Lowes or something, and I would highly suggest it.

Aha thanks ill check them out too xD cheers guys
Last edited by mfkr at Nov 17, 2008,
Quote by ohspyro89
Don't do that. Those'll pretty much eat into your guitar like it's nothing.
Not really, if the guitar has a finish on it, he will be able to see how much the sander is taking off, just press lightly until its mostly off then switch to hand, do the edges and cuts by hand as well.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
try harbor freight, there an online site, i gurantee you can find a cheap sander of some sort on there.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Interesting /\ both of you
Can't be bothered to quote lol.

Thanks i'll check them out.
if your wanting to go down to the wood i prefer using fire. you can use a torch or just lighter fluid and a lighter.
Quote by Absent Mind
Not really, if the guitar has a finish on it, he will be able to see how much the sander is taking off, just press lightly until its mostly off then switch to hand, do the edges and cuts by hand as well.

Every case that I have seen a home modification dealing with a belt sander there is usually some damage done. I think it's better just to take it a little slow than go all out at it with a belt sander.
Quote by jymellis
if your wanting to go down to the wood i prefer using fire. you can use a torch or just lighter fluid and a lighter.

Sounds a bit risky to me lol, rather not accidently set fire to the guitar.

Quote by ohspyro89
Every case that I have seen a home modification dealing with a belt sander there is usually some damage done. I think it's better just to take it a little slow than go all out at it with a belt sander.

Sounds fair to me, it's my first customization/dealing with wood of pretty much any kind so don't want to completely trash the guitar.