Page 1 of 3
I just went to GC yesterday cause they got the 12 month thing going on again.

I went in expecting to walk out with a BBE greenscreamer, the only one they had was the demo one, so as the sales guy was unscrewing the pedal of the board i noticed the Digitechs and saw that they had plenty of CM-2 OD pedals.

First thing i was thinking was let me try it out and see how the BBE crushes it to dust .

Boy was i ever wrong i AB them and i was hard pressed to say that the Digitech was the better pedal, it was just more punchier, had more sustain, more agrressive when need be ,and had more balls.

Even my mom who dosent know **** about anything with instruments could tell the CM was better wich dosent really have anything to do with anything i just wanted to add that in here.

After i realized the CM-2 was clearly the better pedal, i decided to try it next to a TS9 .

Now were really talking, this thing aint ganna compare to a TS9, and yet it blew away the TS9 no problemo as stated before it was just more punchier, had more sustain, more agrressive when need be ,and had more balls.

Next up TS9DX in my opinion an inferior pedal to the OG TS9 and just no competition for the CM-2.

Just to make sure i tried it on my crate V18(wich I bought in), fender HRD, and a Marshall JVM wich dosent really need any pedals but same thing as before it was just more punchier, had more sustain, more agrressive when need be ,and had more balls and I still AB it with the TS9.

This thing was blowing my mind away and I didnt even know the price was.

We go to the register and for some reason my mom decides to pay in cash and before the guy even tells me how much it cost i tell my mom to fork out 150 , moms ready with the money, she dont mind cause i got a McJob and ill pay her back in two days, the guy rings it up and to my surprise its 100 bucks .

I felt like such an idiot already forking out the 150 to pay for it cause in my head I was like, "this thing is the same price as a TS9","its cheaper than DX", "better than any BOSS OD". WTF what a great deal.

Long story short if you can afford one, buy one.
If your looking for something diffrent or better, buy one.
If you want boutique sound and cant dish out 200+ bucks buy one.
Youll be very very happy.

Alot of people are ganna go off and compare it to an OCD or some other boutique pedal of the like and say its whatever just cause they can dishout 200 bucks, but its original, its got its own sound, and for 100 bucks it beat out a 180$ pedal(TS9DX) wich i could have easilly taken home but didnt cause it just didnt cut it.

Props for digitech for making an outstanding product, simply awesome, I am very very happy with mine.

Anyone else tried it out.

EDIT: i can find a better guitar, better pups, better amp, but i doubt ill find a better pedal, this thing is ganna be in pedal boards 30 years from now.

Ok well maybe i will find a better pedal, its just this one is so awesome.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Nov 17, 2008,
Congrats on finding a good pedal then. I've yet to find "the one" for myself.
Ibanez SR505

EBS MultiComp
BOSS GEB-7

Ampeg SVT 4-Pro
Ampeg SVT 810E
I think the thing that was overall better about the pedal was this, alot of TS clones or the OG TS themselves are known not only for sounding great but lacking something in the low end, not so with this pedal, especially in the modfied side of pedal.

Also every note is heard, they ring out, there not muddied up, or overwhelmed with high end frequencies, theres alot of things that are better about this pedal than your regular TS9 that is priced the same.

im sure an experienced player unlike myself would be able to tell the diffrences, and come to same conclusion, its the best pedal from the price range for 50-180 bucks.
^no I also tried the reverbs, they were good.

the valve distortion was good aswell.

the metal pedal wasnt my cup of tea but a huge improvement from there other pedals, and any of the boss stuff. even so i would never buy this pedal cause it still sounds like ass to my ears.

I think thats about it, i got to say its really transfromed my crate V18 into a little gain monster. a few people( like two or three) where just standing buy watching me play on the crate with this pedal next the TS9, i asked them witch one they tought was better and they confremed it.
the OG TS9

original gangsta Tube Screamer?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
I played one and these and liked it, but it had nothing worth the money for me over my Bad Monkey.
^clean out your ears boyo.

I agree the bad monkey is great, but its 50 dollars cheaper for a reason.
From my point of view and IMO if this thing was better than the TS9, then your BM is close, close but no cigar.
I use it as a boost and the only advantage as a boost the Hardwire had was the true bypass.
^plus the classic/modified switch, better gain, made in the US, its not made of plastic.

But to each his own, whatever.

I understand what your saying tough if your happy with what youve got then great, I could have easily afforded a TS9 when i got in there but in my head i knew i wasnt ganna walk out with it cause I could hardly tell a diffrence between it and a BBE green screamer.
Quote by THEKID546
^plus the classic/modified switch, better gain, made in the US, its not made of plastic.

But to each his own, whatever.

Better gain ???
Bad Monkey is made of metal.
And who cares where it's built, immigrants in America or workers in China.

But yes the bad monkey slays in my rig and is only going to be surpassed by a custom pedal I am building to my specs.
Quote by iamtompublic
Better gain ???
Bad Monkey is made of metal.
And who cares where it's built, immigrants in America or workers in China.

But yes the bad monkey slays in my rig and is only going to be surpassed by a custom pedal I am building to my specs.

Anywho it all depends on your applications, i will understand why someone would like a TS808 better, its creamier more transparent.

And i can see why you would think the Cm-2 tube overdrive isnt worht it compared to your BM, cause your only ganna be using it as a boost.
Sounds nice. I'm in the market for a secondary overdrive (to boost the input into my Tube Factor), and the Hardwire overdrive will probably be in my list to try.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I agree with you. It's no OCD, and it doesn't compare with the Way Huge line, but it's the best overdrive pedal that I keep in normal stock at guitar center. This is the OD pedal that I sell more often than any others.
Logan

-Ignore the "A7X"'s in my name! I made this account before City of Evil existed!
I think the Hardwire series are alot better than ppl are giving them credit for. You see Digitech and you see crap. These are Analog OD and Dist pedals that are True Bypass and have some other really nice features. They are very Versitile and for the money they are probably the best bargain right now in the pedal market.
I have the delay and chorus pedals and they are amazing. I chose them over many different pedals. I even sold my carbon copy for the hardwire delay. The overdrive is a great pedal too.
I haven't tried one out, but this thread makes me want to. I love my SD-2 but I kinda wanted to upgrade. Does it have more balls you think?
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
^^^Yah i agree At the momment in my book Digitech is ahead now of the other main guys.

The low range is probly ganna be cheaper now, and there good competitors to the other guys, but these Hardwires take the cake as one of the most well rounded range ive played.
The amazing thing is tough is there killing pedals below there price range for 20 bucks more, and competing with more expensive pedals that are 50-80 bucks more with no sweat.

Its not as simple to use as a TS9 cause of the extra knob, but with tweaking you can get dead on TS9 smooth sounds, and go beyond.

^Its all up to you, take your amp in and try it out.

In the mild distortion realm the TS9 is a bit better for blues a bit more organic, but when it gets to punk, hard rock, metal this pedal is just sick.

this was not a "lets make a vintage sound" by digitech, altough you can by adding more low end, it was made for modern players if that makes any sense.

EDIT:has anyone tried any of the other range and if so what do you think of them, I was surprised to see there reverb was licensed by Lexicon, i only played it for a bit, cause i was so entertained by the CM-2.
The TS9DX is a $110 pedal. Except for Boss, you compared the three biggest name brand overdrive pedals in the same price range (Green Screamer, TS9, CM2) and the CM2 came out on top for you. Great! Seems like Dano's not the only ones making a comeback from earlier failures.
Yah your right it is, i just checked.
Sorry for being wrong.

Thanks for the sarcasm.

Anywho this is all just my opinion, people have heard me in other threads before, dont take my Opinions seriously, just go out try it out.

Some people will like the TS9 better and i wouldnt blame them, its a great pedal, I just think this one is better suited for me.
And i may have ranted a bit i must say, but whatever.
And ill probly get a TS9 down the road as well cause its got diffrent tonal characteristics this pedal dosent have and vice versa I must admit, nough said.
can we get some clips?
A lot of people have been asking questions (or, me at least) about the overdrive model, and some good clips will clear some things up.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
unfortunately i have no recording equipment, cammera, no USB, and plus im computer retarded.

All ill say is this when i was playing both pedals, now i take back a few words back that i said earlier.

The CM-2 i loved when i was playing hardrock, punk, quasi metal. alright for blues not outstanding, but then again i havent had much time with it, especially how gainny it can get and still sound clear(not that the TS9 dosent sound clear but you know what i mean, the TS9 sounds just as clear but just not with that amount of gain).

But when it came down to the blues the TS9 was the better pedal easier to use more subtle yet amazing sounding, and after people have tried both out and played them next to each other for a good amount of time, theyll see there both diffirent pedals, that sound good, but better for certain aplications.

Does that clear anything up darkbiter.
I don't know, I played through the CM-2 and wasn't too impressed with it. I tried that, the actual TS9 and the 808 out last time I went to guitar center, and I thought the CM-2 was a little too "in your face," you know? Like, it didn't sound bad, it just sounded like it was too much. I bought the green screamer without even trying it out just cause it was on massive sale, and to tell you the truth, I prefer it over the other two. Greenscreamer's a bit rougher than the true 808 and 9, but not quite to CM-2 territory...

but, that's just me.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
^Agreed the green screamer is good compramise between the two.

More agressive than the TS9 but not so much as the CM-2.

Wich might make the green screamer the more versatile pedal to tell the truth.

Edit:But what you said about it being in your face thats true it is ALL UP IN YOUR FACE thats the reason I liked it so.
Quote by THEKID546
^Agreed the green screamer is good compramise between the two.

More agressive than the TS9 but not so much as the CM-2.

Wich might make the green screamer the more versatile pedal to tell the truth.

Edit:But what you said about it being in your face thats true it is ALL UP IN YOUR FACE thats the reason I liked it so.

diif'rant stroke for diff'rant folks.

Actually, I have a clip of me playing with the differant settings on the greenscreamer in my profile, so if anyone wanted to check it out, it's in there
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
I recently had a tough time deciding on an OD pedal and couldn't decide between the CM-2 and the Xotic BB pre. The CM-2 definitely has a lot of bang for the buck but it was missing something to my ears. Perhaps it was warmth. I ended up going with the Xotic BB pre after a lot of debate but that is 'cause I had the cash. All in all the CM-2 is a decent pedal though.
I want to try that OD! haha

OT, but the Hardwire DL-8 Delay is absolutely amazing for the price. I'd buy it for the modulated and analog delays alone. Way better than the DD7, IMO, which is the same price. I sold it for a Nova, though, but I still miss the analog mode of the hardwire, sometimes.
Fender Lite Ash Tele/Hamer SATF<--Korg DT-10<Zvex Super Hard On<Digitech Bad Monkey<MI Audio Crunchbox<Pro Co "Keeley" Rat<Line 6 M13<<--Marshall JTM60 1x12 Combo
Not finished yet.

HAHHAHAHAHAHA.

To clear somethings up i went to Sam Ash yesterday before it closed and tested out the pedals again next to each other, and i found out some more interesting things.

The CM-2 by far out powers the TS9, its like a TS9 on steroids, no kidding as many will find after playing the pedals side by side.

The CM-2 depending on what amp your playing trough usually maxes out the TS9 somewhere around 10 or 11 clock on the level knob, and 8 or 9 o'clock on the gain.

Anything after this point the TS9 cant catch up , anything before that is still TS9 territory and it sounds warm and smooth just like a TS9 especially when tweaking the low end just right, anything after that as I pointed out the TS9 cant do and the CM-2 surpasses its power.

My advice if you do try it out is just to keep in mind that its a higher output than a regular TS9, so dont max it out and expect to sound all that great like you would on a TS9 for blues cause it will lose some of its grit and warmth, it wont sound bad and it sounds great for palm mutes, but it wont be blues.

If you play metal and punk, hard rock this is an advantage cause if you want the extra juice all you need to do is put the level knob on 12 or 1 o'clock, if you feel you need more sustain then sure bring the gain knob up as well, but as i said you'll loose some grit, but you wont sound bad at all.

Now after knowing this i feel even better after my purchase.

If you do happen to try it out as well see what you think and see if my analysis was right whenever you get a chance.

I would expect some of the more experienced players on this forum to have a better perspective than me and would like to know what they think.

Until then if youve played this pedal or other Hardwires post what you think of them compared to the competition.

HardWire HT-2 Chromatic Tuner

HardWire CM-2 Tube Overdrive

HardWire SC-2 Valve Distortion

HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion

HardWire CR-7 Stereo Chorus

HardWire DL-8 Delay/Looper

HardWire RV-7 Stereo Reverb

Out of all of these i think the CM-2, CR-7, and RV-7 are the gems of the lot truly exceptional.

I hope in the future they expand there range and if they can make the pedals better then by all means they sould, I dont know how they can.

The only pedals i believe need room for improvement is the TL-2 and the SC-2 still good pedals by the way.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Nov 18, 2008,
Just in from another forum.

from Digitech tech support

When the delay is off, it is in true bypass. When the delay is on, the dry signal is completely analog (no AD or DA conversions) and the wet signal is digital. The "Level" knob on the pedal is an analog control of the wet signal.

Thanks for your interest.

Digitech Support

Im not sure what that means but alot of people are saying that this and the fact that its priced the same as a DD-7 will mean Boss will lose some customers.

Alot of people will look at these pedal over with a fine comb, and they wont be disapointed.

EDIT:I guese what these pedal means to Boss is this, Digitechs old line or the regular line is comparable or the same as Boss pedal line for cheaper.

While the Hardwire line is just ganna slaughter any Boss product for about the same amount especially if they start expanding the range.

After playing the TS9 and the CM-2 again yesterday, I can say with confidence that the CM-2 runs circles around any product in the same price range, competes with the higher ups, and just slaughters anything below it.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Nov 18, 2008,
i tried the CM-2 and green screamer today... the CM-2 smoked it bigtime..i played USA gibby LP custom (not as great as expected, didnt notice that much difference from EPI..but i got my epi set up nicely) into a fender deville..the CM-2 was smokin. i think i'll hafta buy me one o them
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Dang, my local store has the CM2.
I should really go and try it out.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Too bad I don't need a TS like copy I do need a good fuzz that isn't a FF clone though. Uh oh, damn GAS just kicked in again. Dammit.

Wes, you still want my LPB1?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
^I still want it, but I can't exactly tell you when I can pick it up off of you. I need to wait after I get that cap job done on my GA5.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Well after having it for a while now, i can say this aint just a TS copy, its a new standard in my opinion. Calling it just another TS clone is an understatement at best.

Digitech really uped the ante for what you get out of a pedal for the money.

Like i said its a TS9 to a point, and after you work out the kinks you will find it has alot more to offer than just some TS copy.

Nothing against the Green Screamer, or the TS9, like i said there great but damn the CM-2 is just plain better.

Alot of people say the Modern/classic swicth isnt noticable, or dosent really expand your sound but it does, its really like having two great pedals in one.

The modern is more darker and heavier, while the classic is cleaner and less gannier.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Dec 1, 2008,
Just wondering, how does it work as a clean boost?
I still think we need clips
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
as a clean boost its great, it really boost the signal.

Ill put my gain on 1 and level on .8. barely hear the V18, then ill punch the CM-2 with the gain at 3 or all the way down, and the volume at 7 or higher and there is a huge diffrence in volume.

The amp is less muddy, and it dosent sound dry and stale, every note gets more life, and it dosent sound as cheap as it used.

Clear and sparkly if i want it to be, or dark and bold.

The gain isnt a distortion when used as a clean boost, its just helps give it more definition.

I really cant play trough my amp without it.

I dont even use the amps EQ anymore, i just dime the onboard EQ to get the best out of the cheap mofo, and use the CM-2 to tweak the sound and it works great.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Dec 1, 2008,
Page 1 of 3