I want to learn absolute pitch, and i've googled some courses, but some of them look fishy...

do you guys have any recommendations, and which ones to avoid perhaps too ?

thanks a lot !
Last edited by The red Strat. at Nov 17, 2008,
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
I wanted to post a picture of Fuck Face as well, but I didn't dare Google it.
Quote by a_man
^ I knew that would pop up.

Of course, every time someone creates a thread like this, ****face enters the equation.

Seriously, use the searchbar TS. You don't actually need absolute pitch, I get by without it...

EDIT: I dared google ****face, not sure if I should post this, but its freakin' hilarious http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w191/var_dee/l_b1c375976718714e6754aa778f294ca9.jpg
Quote by ravioli123
James, a type of sandwich:

A sandwich that consists of ham, turkey, roast beef, shredded cheese, nacho cheese doritos, and ranch on a toasted bun.
"Hey man lets go get a couple James's for lunch"
Quote by ravioli123
Seriously, use the searchbar TS. You don't actually need absolute pitch, I get by without it...

Absolute pitch is completely invaluable.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Well done, Renka. That one's going on the fridge door.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Quote by rabidguitarist
Absolute pitch is completely invaluable.

I meant those ear training courses, you can just as easily learn to play by ear without them.

And can we make it so that ****face gets changed to a Ballchinian??? It'll make these threads more interesting before they get closed
Quote by ravioli123
James, a type of sandwich:

A sandwich that consists of ham, turkey, roast beef, shredded cheese, nacho cheese doritos, and ranch on a toasted bun.
"Hey man lets go get a couple James's for lunch"
Quote by rabidguitarist
Well done, Renka. That one's going on the fridge door.

Sorry about the complete shit quality, I just didn't want to be beaten to it.
Dude, perfect pitch isn't really something you can teach, it just kinda comes to you.
hello
you cant learn perfect pitch, you're born with it. you can learn relative pitch but its not the same.
Quote by its_alive
rich_sg, I promote you to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. of the Pit. way to speak your opinion.

Quote by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
Quote by rich_sg
you cant learn perfect pitch, you're born with it. you can learn relative pitch but its not the same.

actually you can't be born with it since it's a cognitive ability that you have to learn, however many researchers believe it's almost impossible to acquire after you've reached a certain age (like 5 or 6 I think)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by rich_sg

not true at all.
i'd rather relative, having perfect pitch doesn't give you an ear for harmony or the ability to write music.
Don't you try and ask me your expiration date
Plans that forgot me 99 times
you'll be the one who opens the gate.

- Cedric Bixler Zavala

Founder of the UG RHPS fanclub....

to join simply amend sig..
I'm a bit confused with the terms. The way I've always understood it:

relative pitch = you can hear a note and then sing any note in tune.
perfect pitch = you can sing at the perfect frequency anywhere, anytime, but not know what note it is. (I have this)
memorised pitch = someone can play a note and you can tell them what note it is.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
can't speak about the perfect pitch course but I've had a glance at the relative pitch course and it seems pretty well laided out and will definately help you develop your ear. However the exercises aren't exactly groundbreaking and I would say most definately not worth the amount of money he charges when you could just devise a similar routine yourself. However truly gaining perfect pitch would be worth the price and a bit but I'm still a bit sceptical of the courses ability to generate that.

EDIT: I'm talking about the David Lucas Burges (****Face) courses. Not sure if there are any others.

Quote by rabidguitarist
I'm a bit confused with the terms. The way I've always understood it:

relative pitch = you can hear a note and then sing any note in tune.
perfect pitch = you can sing at the perfect frequency anywhere, anytime, but not know what note it is. (I have this)
memorised pitch = someone can play a note and you can tell them what note it is.

Relative pitch is your ability to recognise musical intervals. So pefect Relative pitch would allow you to sing any note from a referance once you figured out the interval between them.

Perfect pitch I always understood as the ability to sing a note on demand and name any note by ear.

Memorised pitch I thought was a kinda half arsed perfect pitch where from hearing a note a lot we can internalise that note but not every note. i.e. I'm sure most of us could get a high E string roughly in tune from memorised pitch.

I hope that's all correct.
Last edited by leeb rocks at Nov 18, 2008,
I have yet to meet someone with absolute pitch. I know they exist but they're rare. I'm content with not having it
You can't just learn perfect pitch. You either have it or you don't. My piano teacher once told me that it can be developed/triggered around an age of 4 or 5 but I don't know if that's true. One of his daughters has perfect pitch though. But if you don't have it, you wont ever have it. It's not something you really need...I don't have it...I doubt many people here have it.
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.