http://cgi.ebay.com/EMG-CUSTOM-SA-SA-81-TW-SPC-PICKGUARD-FOR-FENDER-STRAT_W0QQitemZ380074476552QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item380074476552&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A2%7C240%3A1318
if i were to buy this pickguard setup for my strat, would i have to install a battery pack thing also?
and what's the difference in sounds between passive emgs and active emgs?
Actives - Higher output, more response, cost more (?), have been criticised as 'sterile', but some people swear by them - good for metal tones, especially.

Passive - Lower output, probably more versatile.
Passive EMGs are weaker compared to the actives. The passives just sound mediocre to my ears. Go active if you've got the amp for it. Otherwise, I'd look at Duncan or Dimarzio. Really just depends on what genre you play.
okay so are the pickups in that pickguard active? meaning that upon the purchase of that i would have to pay a whole bunch of money to get the battery installed?
Quote by MCRrocks
okay so are the pickups in that pickguard active? meaning that upon the purchase of that i would have to pay a whole bunch of money to get the battery installed?

It'll fit under the pickguard, usually.

Don't worry.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
passive EMG's will sound sterile and dead. Active EMG's give a very high output, but the tone is just ugly and the cleans are terrible. You're better off using high output passive pickups instead - something from Bareknuckle, duncan, dimarzio, etc...
Logan

-Ignore the "A7X"'s in my name! I made this account before City of Evil existed!
I'd have to argue the ^ post about sounding sterile and dead with ugly tone and terrible cleans (well not argue since that's his opinion and he's entitled to it, I just don't agree with it). I picked up a new guitar and amp this weekend and the guitar has active EMG's in it. Best sounding guitar I've heard in a while. The overall tone (cleans and dirty) just blows away my PRS (with passive PUPs) and my Ibanez (which I traded in for the new one). I was told by several people, including my guitar instructor, that passive sound better; but, it's in the ear of the person listening. To me the active PUPs have a much warmer, thicker sound. I think going forward any guitar I look at will most likely have active PUP's in it.

Basically, if I were playing country music, happy time type blues, or plain old rock-and-roll I would probably look into the 'brighter' sound of the passives.

Since I prefer thicker sounding music such as heavy metal, real hard rock, thick jazz type sounds, the actives are a better fit (at least they fit my taste better)