this might be a stupid question, but can you take out active pickups and put in passive pickups instead? would it be more difficult than just getting actives replaced with actives?
Jup, not that difficult...
- LTD Eclipse 1000 w/SD's
- Jackson Dk 2 Dinky transparent red w/SD's
- Marshall MG 50 DFX

ENGL fund €120/€1941.5
Active EMG's are all quick-clip-in now I think?

It's easier swapping EMG for an EMG.

Passives will require soldering I believe unless you dog-ear them up.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
you can do just about anything you want with replacing pickups, i have passive pickups with an active pre-amp in one guitar and another with a single active HB and two passive singles all running through an in-guitar mixer i made up that buffs the signal

its actually easier to install passives because you dont haveta worry about the battery power and mixing up your hot and power lines, though if you already have actives its pretty easy to just match up the wiring (assuming the same pickup maker)

good luck!
I'm pretty sure you'll need to replace the pots, too. Most active EMGs use something like 25k pots, don't they? Those'd make your passive pickups sound way too dark.
thank you guys, im goin with warpigs by bareknuckle pickups. i play metal. good choice?
Quote by exylum
thank you guys, im goin with warpigs by bareknuckle pickups. i play metal. good choice?

Yes, good, if not the very best.
Logan

-Ignore the "A7X"'s in my name! I made this account before City of Evil existed!
Depending on the guitar, changing actives to passives means you will have to shield the cavities on the guitar, pup and control, you will have to have a way of grounding to the bridge, you will need to change the pots & caps to passive values, and wire the jack in mono mode.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
Depending on the guitar, changing actives to passives means you will have to shield the cavities on the guitar, pup and control, you will have to have a way of grounding to the bridge, you will need to change the pots & caps to passive values, and wire the jack in mono mode.
*fixed*

the wiring of the output jack will be simple. just disconnect the wire for the (-) of the battery that is no longer being used.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.