Page 1 of 2
Yes. The government is not the country the people are. If you are doing something against the government it can b good for the people. Watch v for vendetta or any of the "government is bad" style movies.
Gear:
Schecter c1+
Peavey Raptor exp

Vox ad30vt
If you truly believe that it will be beneficial to your people, then yes.

But that's also what the republicans think about invading countries and killing civlians.
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
My answer in depth:

Yes.
1. Open My Computer.
2. Open C:
3. Click on WINDOWS.
4. Open the folder "Media."
5. Click on the file "onestop."
6. Listen.
Yes, if you believe that the government is only preventing your country's culture from fully expressing itself.

Now go find your own opinion, it will be much easier for you to defend it.
Quote by Pharoah
Can God create a hot dog so hot even he couldn't eat it?

Lyke omg D@ @p0OcpLpSYe.
No, it can't.

Patriotism is the belief that your nation is greater, holier, etc. than other nations - in essence, it's putting your nation-state above the people of the rest of the world. Anarchism stands directly against patriotism. It's the polar opposite.
My Last.fm Account

My Band

Quote by Jackal58
JoHNNERz you sir are my hero of the moment.
I could go two ways on this.

At first I would say no, because most anarchists seek to dismantle things such as the borders between countries, and it's pretty hard to love a country that doesn't exist.

However, anarchism entails putting ALL of the power in the hands of the people. It's like democracy on steroids. Some people could see that as "patriotic"

Also, although anarchists might not be fond of the governments of their countries, they might be proud of the groups they themselves have started, such as the IWW. I suppose in a way that could be conceived as "patriotic"

That all being said, I think the question is a little vague and doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.
Yes, the two are not mutually exclusive.

Not always at least. You can certainly be an anarchist and love your country.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
I am not a woman as I currently claim

Quote by Rabid
I am actually a woman, unlike Frenchy
If the cause of the anarchy is the source of what takes away freedoms and rights that are given to those rebelling by the foundation of the country's principles, then yes, it can be patriotic.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
No, anarchy can never be patriotic. The concept of anarchy is inherently selfish. The idea and practice of patriotism involves selflessness and communalism. The very nature of anarchy means that it must contradict contradict contradict. It is based entirely around conflict and self-preservation. No nations and no governments can be supported by anarchy.
Quote by _DeX_
Yes. The government is not the country the people are. If you are doing something against the government it can b good for the people. Watch v for vendetta or any of the "government is bad" style movies.

+1

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by Grocelog
No, anarchy can never be patriotic. The concept of anarchy is inherently selfish. The idea and practice of patriotism involves selflessness and communalism. The very nature of anarchy means that it must contradict contradict contradict. It is based entirely around conflict and self-preservation. No nations and no governments can be supported by anarchy.

anarchism is all about mutual aid.
Do your own ****ing homework. And no, it can't, because patriotism entails a government, which is exactly what the anarchists are against.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by _DeX_

Seeing as how the people are the country, wouldn't you say then that the government is only as bad as the people of the country allow it to become?
As such, wouldn't that make the people just as much to blame?

So who is bad-

The person(s) who act

Or the person(s) who allow it to happen knowingly?

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by sargasm
anarchism is all about mutual aid.

I thought it was just about people doing whatever they wanted to... So I wouldn't HAVE to help you, although I probably would

It may be some people's belief that anarchy would lead to such virtues, but I'm not sure it's a fundamental aspect of it
Quote by Pharoah

Lyke omg D@ @p0OcpLpSYe.
Quote by break-me-in
Do your own ****ing homework. And no, it can't, because patriotism entails a government, which is exactly what the anarchists are against.

Patriotism towards your nation is not the same as to your nation-state eg the government.
Quote by Meatball200
Patriotism towards your nation is not the same as to your nation-state eg the government.

In an anarchist's ideal world there would be no such thing as the nation either. We would only differentiate between different land masses for ease of communication.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Does anyone have that video where Bill O'Reilly went on the Daily Show and proclaimed that he was an anarchist?
Seriously the first thing you should do, is to decide what definition of "anarchy" and "patriotism" you're going to work with
Quote by Pharoah

Lyke omg D@ @p0OcpLpSYe.
Quote by JoHNNERz
No, it can't.

Patriotism is the belief that your nation is greater, holier, etc. than other nations - in essence, it's putting your nation-state above the people of the rest of the world. Anarchism stands directly against patriotism. It's the polar opposite.

if the values of the country are anarchaic then it can be patriotic.

for example the US is meant to be based upon the value of individual freedoms. you could easily argue that anarchy is just taking those core values to another level because you believe in them so much.

countries can exist without a central government
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by strat0blaster
Seeing as how the people are the country, wouldn't you say then that the government is only as bad as the people of the country allow it to become?
As such, wouldn't that make the people just as much to blame?

So who is bad-

The person(s) who act

Or the person(s) who allow it to happen knowingly?

To quote V for Vendetta:

"How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror. I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn't be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. Fear got the best of you, and in your panic you turned to the now high chancellor, Adam Sutler. He promised you order, he promised you peace, and all he demanded in return was your silent, obedient consent"
Quote by Ylasto
R.I.P Ean.

Are there any other members of Lynyrd Skynyrd who are dead?
This is going to turn into a V For Vendetta love fest...
I don't think I've ever heard as much about that movie in the years since it was released as I have in this forum in the last five minutes.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
you, my dear friend, have sank to a very low level...To actually consult the Pit about you paper...

I don't really see how that is possible. Anarchy is the lack of any government, which in effect is a lack of any country... patriotism is a respect fro one's country... So with no country, no patriotism... You can't be proud of something that doesn't exist...

Then again you could be patriotic to the cause of a faction in the civil war that has most likely broken out in your region, inevitably do to the state of anarchy...
Quote by ironman1478
im romanian and am offended. most of the people in romania make americans look like autistic kids on ritalin
Quote by ProfessorJim
I'm autistic and on ritalin and am offended. Most autistic kids on ritalin make americans look like romanians.
Anarchy is the only purely free (as a whole) state. Not necessarily a good thing, but meh.

edit: I just realized that I in no way answered the question at hand...
if you think of it in one sense of rebelling against a government you feel is harmful to the country than yes (going back to colonial times). But if you're doing it because you're a douchebag "punk" suburban teenager then no.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Quote by Kroach
I thought it was just about people doing whatever they wanted to... So I wouldn't HAVE to help you, although I probably would

It may be some people's belief that anarchy would lead to such virtues, but I'm not sure it's a fundamental aspect of it

The word anarchy itself only refers to the absence of hierarchy, so that's pretty open-ended and could mean a lot of things.

Most major types of anarchism though have a huge focus on the idea of mutual aid.
Too often people misinterpret "patriotism" with being loyal to your government. It's not. It's being loyal and trusting in your countrymen and women, believing in the nation you live in. Not necessarily in the way it is run.
Quote by thewho65
Too often people misinterpret "patriotism" with being loyal to your government. It's not. It's being loyal and trusting in your countrymen and women, believing in the nation you live in. Not necessarily in the way it is run.

+1. In America we seem to mistake confuse nationalism and patriotism. I can love the people around me, the ideals upon which our country was founded, the rivers that flow by my house, the soil, our food etc. while still hating the actions of our government.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
there was a case where some guy in the US burned the US flag and it was taken to the supreme court and the ruling was that "if he were to be imprisoned etc for burning the flag, we would be denying his constitutional rights which the flag represents" or somehting along those lines.

i am asuuuming that burning the flag is viewed as a form of anarchy.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
2 words:

William Wallace

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!!!!!!
Of course it can. Patriotism is the love of one's own nation. By definition, a nation is a group of people inhabiting a particular territory. A nation can exist without a government, so if an anarchist loves his nation enough that he'd go out of his way to bring down its government for its benefit, his anarchy is patriotic.

EDIT:
I can love the people around me, the ideals upon which our country was founded, the rivers that flow by my house, the soil, our food etc. while still hating the actions of our government.

Hell yeah, I do that all the time. 'Cept I don't live near a river, you lucky bastard.
Yes, absolutely.

Patriotism by definition is a love of one's country or a fervent national loyalty. Nationalism is a fervent love of one's government, and that governments infallibility is often ensured via fascist dictatorship. Anarchy by definition is a state of society with no government or law. With out government, there is no country. Our government (in the US at least) was put in place to ensure that people's rights as guaranteed by the US constitution were protected, ensured, and provided. The Constitution is what our country is. It's what we stand for. The government is only here to provide it, and it's taken over 200 years for the government to get us as far as we have gotten, but we've still gotten some parts wrong.

With a deep love of country (aka, what our country represents) a state of anarchy could exist peacefully. You can be patriotic without powers that be.
Quote by JoHNNERz
No, it can't.

That's nationalism, not patriotism.

And yes, in an anarchic society people an be patriotic, if they don't end up killing each other first.
Quote by Mad Marius
And yes, in an anarchic society people an be patriotic, if they don't end up killing each other first.

I don't understand why people seem to think that a society without government would be inhabited by animalistic monsters. The government has very little presence in our present lives as it is, not much would change. Also, if the average person wouldn't kill someone to begin with, why the hell would the absence of government make a difference? Government or not, I'd be just as safe walking down the street.
+1 to the william wallace enthusiast
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Quote by madbasslover
I don't understand why people seem to think that a society without government would be inhabited by animalistic monsters. The government has very little presence in our present lives as it is, not much would change. Also, if the average person wouldn't kill someone to begin with, why the hell would the absence of government make a difference? Government or not, I'd be just as safe walking down the street.

Government absolutely does have an affect on how we live our lives. The very concept that it exists is enough to control people.

The absence of government in the original westward expansion in the US is what gave way to legendary train robbers, outlaws, 'wild west' image, etc.

Where do you think the term "lawlessness" comes from.
Page 1 of 2