I just got a Ibanez JS1200 and definitely need a new amp (only have a Peavery 258EFX right now). So I was wondering what amp would suit it. I have about $800 (CDN) to spend on it, and was wondering what I should be looking for and avoiding. I don't play in a band or anything, and don't care about how loud the amp is. Tone is #1. I was also wondering if it's a better idea to get a cheaper amp ($700) and spend the remainder on a good distortion pedal, or if the distortion on the amp is good enough?

Also randomly, what gauge of strings come on the JS1200? The guy said 10's, but I just want to be sure for when I change the strings, so I don't have to level out the bridge.

Thanks in advance to anyone that helps.
I dunno about the string gauge...but how about a Peavey JS series amp? The Mini Colossal is a great practice amp.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Can you give us an idea of how "heavy" your music is? Examples of bands would help.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Examples of your playing style would help.
Also do you plan on being in a band.
or do you just want a small practice amp?

in terms of the stringe gauge, what tuning do you play in?
Quote by Exo M7
I dunno about the string gauge...but how about a Peavey JS series amp? The Mini Colossal is a great practice amp.

+1 to the mini colossal

And yes, your guitar should have come set up for 10s
Logan

-Ignore the "A7X"'s in my name! I made this account before City of Evil existed!
I don't really play any true metal, Rage Against The Machine is as heavy as I get, and they're not that heavey. I also play some Buckethead (can be heavy) some Joe, Steve Vai. I really don't play that many songs, sure I know some riffs, just because I think they're cool, but I mostly "fool around", that is to say make up my own stuff. I also tend to practice (exercises etc.) alot, and I am learning some music theory now. I've only been playing for 10 months, so I'm not amazing or anything. Just like my guitar, I want an amp that can really do everything. I don't need the extremes (such as the ability to play metal).

And the Mini Colossal is only 5 watts is it not? If it can go decently loud, sure its fine, but what comes with it? (IE: Effects, blah blah).
The JS1200 will have come with .9's as stock.

For an amp look at the Traynor YCV50 Blue...that should just about be in your budget.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
The JS1200 will have come with .9's as stock.

For an amp look at the Traynor YCV50 Blue...that should just about be in your budget.

This is good advice. As far as I can tell, it's one of the better deals at the price point of $700-$900. I wouldn't mind getting one myself (see sig ).

Also a friend of mine recommended the Peavey Windsor Combo if you're looking for those 80s Marshall tones (which is what I'm looking for and I believe the Traynor does just that, 80s british voicing).

Nice guitar by the way.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
a great amp would be a Line 6 Spider III. its got great quality and it comes with a built in distortion petal with wah. my brother has one and it sounds great with excellent tone.
Look into blackheart combos
they are affordable tube amps that kick alot of ass.
They should suit ur every need.

String gauge, if you play in standard id say stick to .9's
if you play dropped go for hybrid strings
the low e is a .10 the rest are .9's
Quote by supadonut
a great amp would be a Line 6 Spider III. its got great quality and it comes with a built in distortion petal with wah. my brother has one and it sounds great with excellent tone.

erm...
You haven't visited UG much have you?

+1 to Steven Seagull though

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Yeah, the spider 3 is not something I'm going to get, already tried it out. Has tons of effects, but I don't really use effects that much (I have a crybaby and thats all I use basically, other than delay and reverb) and if you're not going to use the effects not much use in getting the Spider 3.
As for the Traynor, that definitely looks nice, and I'm sure it sounds good. The only thing is... is it $700-$900 before taxes? Cause I live in Canada... and 13% tax does not help. I'm sure I could talk them down a $100 bucks though, if it came down to it.
I do eventually plan on being in a band, so I do not want a small practice amp, however I would rather have better tone than a louder sound.
And whats the deal with the gauges on the JS1200? People are saying 10's, people are saying 9's. I'm guessing since the guy at the store said 10's, he'd be right (he could see/touch the strings) but is there any way to check?
And yes I play in standard, and don't vary out of that now that I have a double locking trem.

Thanks for the all the responses so quick!
Well considering they build them in canada, They should be cheaper...

You can put any string guage you want just be sure to adjust the tension correctly.
Quote by DTay47
Yeah, the spider 3 is not something I'm going to get, already tried it out. Has tons of effects, but I don't really use effects that much (I have a crybaby and thats all I use basically, other than delay and reverb) and if you're not going to use the effects not much use in getting the Spider 3.
As for the Traynor, that definitely looks nice, and I'm sure it sounds good. The only thing is... is it $700-$900 before taxes? Cause I live in Canada... and 13% tax does not help. I'm sure I could talk them down a $100 bucks though, if it came down to it.
I do eventually plan on being in a band, so I do not want a small practice amp, however I would rather have better tone than a louder sound.
And whats the deal with the gauges on the JS1200? People are saying 10's, people are saying 9's. I'm guessing since the guy at the store said 10's, he'd be right (he could see/touch the strings) but is there any way to check?
And yes I play in standard, and don't vary out of that now that I have a double locking trem.

Thanks for the all the responses so quick!

Hi Dtay. I live in Calgary and I have seen Traynors for sale at music store called Long&McQuade. The Traynor YCV50 must've been roughly $799cad or $849cad, I don't remember which one of those it was. So over here, you'd add 5% GST. You must be from a province where you'd have PST as well, so let's assume it's $849, add 13% to that, ends up as 960 dollars. If I were you, I'd write down the advice you gotten here (and from other forums possibly), go to a bunch of music stores and hopefully try out some of these amps and hopefully you have a L&M in your area that has the Traynor YCV50.

I hope that helped you.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Yeah there is a L&M around here, but there is a Traynor dealer in my town too (London, Ontario). A 50 Watt tube amp does seem a bit like overkill, since I'm not in a band yet, and even then, still overkill I think. My 25 Watt transtube (not full tube) right now works well with drums (played with a drummer before, doesn't even need to be on full to be heard by the drummer). So I was wondering does the smaller (30-40W) Traynor amps sacrifice any tone/features (in regard to the 50W)? Cause I could definitely afford one of them.
Quote by DTay47
Yeah there is a L&M around here, but there is a Traynor dealer in my town too (London, Ontario). A 50 Watt tube amp does seem a bit like overkill, since I'm not in a band yet, and even then, still overkill I think. My 25 Watt transtube (not full tube) right now works well with drums (played with a drummer before, doesn't even need to be on full to be heard by the drummer). So I was wondering does the smaller (30-40W) Traynor amps sacrifice any tone/features (in regard to the 50W)? Cause I could definitely afford one of them.

The Traynor YCV50 blue I believe is in fact 40 watts, not 50, and also it's got different tubes than the 20-40 watt versions to make it sound more like an 80s Marshall. That's my understanding, someone correct me if I'm wrong. It's also got a master volume which the 20 and 40 versions don't either (not sure what that really means to be honest).

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

The YCV50 is 50 watts. Great amp, but it may be complete overkill for a bedroom practice amp. You likely wouldn't turn it over about 3. If you will be jamming with a band, yea - perfect amp for you. Try one - your call in the end. Also try a PV Classic 30. Those go used for half the cost of the Traynor up in Canada. Not that 30 watts isn't a lot unless you are with a drummer.
It is 50 Watts - or at least thats what it says on the site. So the 40 Watt one's will have worse tone than the 50W? Or just simply different tone? I'll have to compare them. And which 40 watt one should I go for? They're 3 different ones. Yeah, confusing. Also are the solid state ones any good? Will a 40W solid state sound louder than a 25W transtube? If so, I'd be interested in those ones too.
Where are the prices too? It would be a lot handier if I could see the prices on their site too.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-Custom-Valve-50BLUE-YCV50BLUE-50W-All-Tube-1x12-Combo-Amp-with-Celestion-Speaker?sku=489075

The YCV40 is voiced differently from the 50. The 40 is more American or Fender voiced imo. Use musicians friend for pricing, there are other sites, I'm not trying to be a commercial for MF.
I would avoid the SS amps, but that's me.

Also look used, check craigslist and see what's near you.
Quote by DTay47
It is 50 Watts - or at least thats what it says on the site. So the 40 Watt one's will have worse tone than the 50W? Or just simply different tone? I'll have to compare them. And which 40 watt one should I go for? They're 3 different ones. Yeah, confusing. Also are the solid state ones any good? Will a 40W solid state sound louder than a 25W transtube? If so, I'd be interested in those ones too.
Where are the prices too? It would be a lot handier if I could see the prices on their site too.

I think it'll just be voiced differently rather than calling it "worse". And kudos to the person mentioning Peavey Classic 30, I see those from time to time on craigslist they're about $400-$500, those are probably pretty good. Check out the Traynors in store if you can see and you can decide if you like the tone or not (compare to other amps in the same price range).

Lastly, if you look here:

http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=3&cat=63&id=318

Says "Speaker Configuration - LF (Size / Power) 12 inch / 40 Watts ". That's why I thought it was 40 too, but I suppose the website could be wrong.

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

These amps still seem like overkill, 40W tube just for (mainly) practicing? Yes I will eventually be playing in a band and stuff, but would a 50W or 75W solid state amp suit it well enough? Also do tube amps generally sound better? Cause again, the tone is what I'm going for, and I don't play metal, so super heavey distortion isn't important, but I still want good distortion for everything else I play.
Thanks again guys.
If you just want a straightforward, nice sounding small amp then just look at one of the small, cheap tube amps - I only said the Traynor because of your budget but there's nothing that says you need to spend that much.

If I were you I'd be off down the shop to try stuff like the Epiphone Valve Jr, Gretsch G522 Electromatic, Fender Champ 600 and the Blackheart range.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Will the smaller amps sound as good though? I'd rather have a big amp with good tone, than a smaller amp with OK tone. I probably will be playing in a band someitme, so a 30W Tube amp doesn't seem like a bad idea, or a 75W SS amp.
It's up to you...if you want to be "futureproofed" with regards to gigging and stuff then get the Traynor, it's one of the best amps available to you around your price range.. There's a barely an difference in volume between a 30w tube amp and a 50w one...they're both ear-shatteringly loud.

The smaller tube amps do sound good because you can crank them and get the power tubes really working, but ultimately you need to go out there and start trying stuff....most amps are good at what they do, but that doesn't mean that what they do is going to be what you like.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc