So in the endless quest for tone, and the newfound desire to considerably upgrade my amp rig, I have began to save for a new amp head. Depending how much I spend, I am considering picking up a used Marshall 1960a cab to go with it (They can be found used pretty cheap, and they're good, so why not?). The question is, since it's been a while since I've had a chance to compare the two, is which is the better speaker for what kind of tone I'm after? I primarily play metal (melodic death, thrash, some metalcore, and classic), along with some other rock here and there. I like a tight, responsive low end, with enough mids to stand out, and enough treble to give it edge without being harsh. Think something like The COB Hatebreeder/FTR tone, early Avenged Sevenfold (preferably the first album), or old Metallica.

I currently have a 2x12 cab with Celestion V12-60's in it but I'm looking for something a bit more modern voiced for metal, and wish to use these speakers for other stuff (They're very warm and middy)

If it helps, these are the main amps I am considering buying, leaning towards an ENGL depending on what kind of deal I can scoop up

Peavey 6505+
Mesa Boogie F-50
ENGL Fireball
(MAYBE)ENGL Blackmore

Thanks for the help!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Go for the 30's with those amps.. 75's are great for marshall's but usually sound bad on anything else. (key word usually lol)
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Nov 17, 2008,
30's are all around awesome. I have one in my F-30 and it sounds great, and then I use my friend's 4x12 with V30s and it sounds AWESOME! Like IbanezPsycho said, 75's are great but pretty much limited to marshalls, whereas V30s sound good in pretty much any application.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

SOUND MASON σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Pickups for sale!
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Go for the 30's with those amps.. 75's are great for marshall's but usually sound bad on anything else. (key word usually lol)

the man speek-eth the truth!!

theres never a need for me to post when i see ibanez psyco on the thread!
i think 6505's sound great with the 75's, and you said you didn't want to use your current speakers because they're middy, and v30's are known to have a pronounced mid spike. the 75's have less mids and slightly more bass
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Generally, I don't like the tone of G12T-75s with anything but a Marshall-voiced amp; however, Mesa is an exception, every Mesa I've owned sounded good through my 1960, but probably would sound better through a V30 loaded cab.

Peavey 6505+ - I hated my 1960 with my 5150, it sounded... ew, imo.
Mesa Boogie F-50 - My F-30 sounded great with my 1960 as have my Mark IV and Road King, still probably better with V30s.
ENGL Fireball - I've never tried a Fireball, but since it's very modern sounding, I'm going to say that V30s would be best with it.
ENGL Blackmore - The Blackmore, I'd actually suggest G12T-75s over the V30s. My friend has one and has a 4x12 Avatar cab with V30s in it and a 1960, the 1960 sounds better with it imo.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I don't know what the amps you're talking about sound like but in general g12t-75s are a little scooped sounding and will sound fizzy on top and boomy on the bottom with certain amps and v30s have a mid spike which can get harsh with certain amps.
honestly,

get an Avatar 4x12 with 2 G12T-75's and 2 V-30's in an X pattern.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by xwearesinking
honestly,

get an Avatar 4x12 with 2 G12T-75's and 2 V-30's in an X pattern.

Depending on the amp the g12t-75's will over power the 30's and ruin the tone I have that issue now...
Quote by MatrixClaw
Generally, I don't like the tone of G12T-75s with anything but a Marshall-voiced amp; however, Mesa is an exception, every Mesa I've owned sounded good through my 1960, but probably would sound better through a V30 loaded cab.

Peavey 6505+ - I hated my 1960 with my 5150, it sounded... ew, imo.
Mesa Boogie F-50 - My F-30 sounded great with my 1960 as have my Mark IV and Road King, still probably better with V30s.
ENGL Fireball - I've never tried a Fireball, but since it's very modern sounding, I'm going to say that V30s would be best with it.
ENGL Blackmore - The Blackmore, I'd actually suggest G12T-75s over the V30s. My friend has one and has a 4x12 Avatar cab with V30s in it and a 1960, the 1960 sounds better with it imo.

I'm currently running a Blackmore through a 2x12 V30 cab, and its not bad. I think a combination of the two speakers would sound the best though. Best of both worlds.
G12T-75 + V30
WTLTL 2011
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Depending on the amp the g12t-75's will over power the 30's and ruin the tone I have that issue now...

really? wow that sucks man. every cab i've played through with that X pattern has sounded pretty sweet.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by xwearesinking
really? wow that sucks man. every cab i've played through with that X pattern has sounded pretty sweet.
X-pattern is the key, when they are two next to each other, the imbalance is more apparent. (it doesn't make sense to have them that way though)
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Hmm..sounds like the V30's are the way to go, but that it depends on the amp. (And that the 75's are best suited to mid heavy amps) Luckily I'll be buying an amp first, so whatever I end up buying, I will get a chance to play it through different speakers before I make a decision.

spiff389: I guess I should have stated that a bit differently. I like midrange warmth, but I'm just looking for something a bit more modern voiced than the V12-60's (Supposedly they're kind of a cross between a V30 and a greenback). Although I am playing through a vintage voiced amp, so who knows how it might sound with a modern voiced one.

Thanks guys!

EDIT: This shouldn't apply to me since I'd more than likely be buying a used cab, but I hear that Celestions aren't manufactured in England anymore and that the new ones suck compared to the older ones. Any word on this?
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff