ok so i got my old twelve string back from a kid i traded it to a long time ago

and its still in mint condition but it was really dusty (the kid never played it!)

the strings are dead, so i know i need to change them
and i want to recondition the fretboard

would it be bad on the guitar to take all 12 of the strings off to condition the fretboard and polish the frets??
I've heard that it is bad to take off all the strings because it reduces tension on the neck and truss rod but then again I've heard people say it's fine. I do it every now and then when I wanna clean my guitar properly and my guitar is fine.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
There's nothing wrong with taking off all the strings as long as you don't leave them off for an extended period of time. Extended period of time meaning... ohh... 2 years.

There's no other way to clean the fretboard thoroughly but to take off all the strings.
Make sure you use some lubricant for your fretboard like lemon oil(you can buy it at any hardware store).
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
The neck will be fine for such a small amount of time.
Quote by ElMaco
My last pay check was £0 working 0 hours. I can't believe how easy it was
Quote by captivate
There's nothing wrong with taking off all the strings as long as you don't leave them off for an extended period of time. Extended period of time meaning... ohh... 2 years.

There's no other way to clean the fretboard thoroughly but to take off all the strings.
Make sure you use some lubricant for your fretboard like lemon oil(you can buy it at any hardware store).

^^

Word
Quote by captivate

What's this lemon oil used for normally??
I work at a hardware store and have never seen it around. Does it go by another name?
Quote by Benjibum

Or in Final Fantasy terms, think of him as always casting Reflect on himself. The only way to hurt him is to cast Reflect on yourself and bounce Firaga off yourself.

What a load of rubbish. Just punch him in the ****ing shins.
It's pretty much used for the same thing, except for furniture. It's just used to clean/restore/polish wood and is used as an alternative to wax or other chemical based polishes since those leave residues. Lemon oil is just a combination of mineral oils and a few other things.
Equipment:

you can buy it in any guitar shop...just rub it on the fretboard and wipe any excess off with a clean cloth. Its only used for rosewood i believe though.
Nah, lemon oil is good for any type of wood. It should only be used on the fretboard and bridge of a guitar though. The lemon oil is basically just to keep them from becoming too dry and cracking. You apply it on and then let it sit for a couple of minutes before you wipe off the excess.
Equipment:

I didn't think it was good on maple (although you don't tend to get that on acoustics) but i maybe wrong...??
It's not good on maple(for electric guitars) because maple necks are glossed a lot of the time(I think?).

It's fine for any acoustic guitar.
Equipment: