i notice that i have really small hands, but upon a close inspection my fingers are a lot larger on my fretting hand than my picking hand. so i wondered, would playing legato with a metronome stretching as far as i can without tension eventually make my fingers stretch further without tension? i find this is my biggest limitation and wouldn't mind a few weeks of solid practice to have longer/more flexible fingers.

my other problem i noticed only yesterday. i can play really cleanly 3nps stuff but i can't play those chromatic 4nps things at even 140bpm eg. i can play a line like 9--12--11--12 or 9--12--10--12 on each string but not 9--10--11--12 at near the same speed so i know that the problem is using both the middle and fourth finger at the same time that is the problem, anything other than practice slowly that could help with that?

thanks in advance

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Scales and chromatics to a metronome. Subdivide, repeat.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
The solution is simple, masturbate with your fretting hand...it helped me.
from one wise man to another
pass it down from generation to generation
your welcome
which will both of those help with? thanks for the speedy responses!

Quote by metallicafan616
i notice that i have really small hands, but upon a close inspection my fingers are a lot larger on my fretting hand than my picking hand. so i wondered, would playing legato with a metronome stretching as far as i can without tension eventually make my fingers stretch further without tension? i find this is my biggest limitation and wouldn't mind a few weeks of solid practice to have longer/more flexible fingers.

my other problem i noticed only yesterday. i can play really cleanly 3nps stuff but i can't play those chromatic 4nps things at even 140bpm eg. i can play a line like 9--12--11--12 or 9--12--10--12 on each string but not 9--10--11--12 at near the same speed so i know that the problem is using both the middle and fourth finger at the same time that is the problem, anything other than practice slowly that could help with that?

thanks in advance

find a solo and/or melody that utilizes 4 nps.

In general if you practice playing music that requires all four fingers, you will develop finger independence. Personally I think that if you work on it in a musical/ melodic context your music will be better for it. (By better I mean more musical and melodic).
shred is gaudy music
Quote by ulikethatdoya
The solution is simple, masturbate with your fretting hand...it helped me.
from one wise man to another
pass it down from generation to generation
your welcome

does that really work?! please tell me it does.
"Bitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks."
- Dr. Dre
Quote by Freepower
^ it worked at getting him a warning.

wow i hate faggots like that, i try and make a forum a little lively and that gets me a warning?

I hope i get another warning for posting this too ^^
Quote by ulikethatdoya
wow i hate faggots like that, i try and make a forum a little lively and that gets me a warning?

I hope i get another warning for posting this too ^^

That's what The Pit is for, this is a help forum and we don't take well to off-topic stuff. Especially when it's so juvenile. Insulting a mod is never a good idea either.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Freepower

Well, you've certainly made the forum more lively, albeit briefly. Shame about faggots like that.

did he realize you're a mod? wow.

anyway on topic.... well the question's been answered...

Guess I'll hit the old dusty trail...

oops, found the emergency exit
ill take a look at freepowers' lessons on finger independence and try find some songs that use 4nps licks.

what about making fingers more flexible and reach further?

and now a new problem, my brother has broke my headphones so i cant use a metronome at all. is it possible to buy one for under 10pounds somewhere? has to go from at least 40bpm at the lowest and 300 as the lowest high number.

for finger independance, i used what are called intervals. they're patterns going up any scale in 3rds or 4ths, or any interval. so for thirds, if you start at the first note of the scale it's: 1 2 3, 2 3 4, 3 4 5, 4 5 6, and so on, 4ths are the same way, and eventually you get to the point where you can make patterns that skip a note and so on, but it helps with picking to.
I will add to this convo that playing guitar seems to have made the length of my fingers on my left hand considerably loner than those on my right...thumb included. Has anyone else experienced this. lol its pretty weird putting my hands together considering the difference. Maybe just as a result of playing guitar whilst you are still growing or something
Andu
^ not only that, but my right thumb is larger than my left thumb. Absolutely hilarious they day I discovered that. I picked up the guitar when I was pretty much finished growing anyway, so I can't imagine what I'd look like had I picked it up early.

Quote by JesterShred
for finger independance, i used what are called intervals. they're patterns going up any scale in 3rds or 4ths, or any interval. so for thirds, if you start at the first note of the scale it's: 1 2 3, 2 3 4, 3 4 5, 4 5 6, and so on, 4ths are the same way, and eventually you get to the point where you can make patterns that skip a note and so on, but it helps with picking to.

That's not really going up in 4ths - most people would call that going up in 4s, and 4ths would be 1 4 7 10 13 etc.
Yeah, same here. The fingers on my left hand are about 1/2" longer than on my right hand. And I was already 21 when I started playing. And the funny thing is that at that time, my right fingers were about 1/2" longer - I was really into basketball in my late teens and always trying to dunk, so I was palming the ball a lot.
Quote by fixationdarknes
Freepower's lesson on finger independence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvhZ80OsuTQ

Well I've been trying to play stairway to heaven(ugh, cliches, I know. ) and i can play everything exceptionally well except one part.

Where it is like a D chord except you have your pinky on the bottom string 3rd fret, you strum once then pluck the pinky off and strum the D two more times. I've been having way too much trouble with that. Usually i just stop and play slower, but no matter how mind-numbingly slow I play it my ring finger is always pulled back.

Every time I try to move my middle or pinky finger independently on its own(not on the guitar) my ****ing ring finger keeps moving. So damn annoying! What can I do? I'm not sure the 2 links in this thread cover this problem.
You're either pressing down the other fingers in the chord too hard or quite simply not paying attention. You can do it if you move slow enough and small enough. By lowest string, I assume you mean the high E, not the low E? If not, same advice applies anyway.