at the end of the year, christmas and my birthday come and i will be able to ask for a new amp and buy some extra thigs....what should i replace/remove from my current gear (fender strat mex -> zoom 505 ii -> crate fw15r) to get a more slash/hendrix tone??

budget for the whole things is up to 700 bucks

thanks
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka
I heard there is uranium gas in the tubes. So you could easily make a little nuclear blast. If i were you, i wouldn't want to start the World War III.

THE SHORT BACK AND SIDES !!!

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
Ditch the zoom and the crate and get a classic 30 or a traynor ycv50 blue used, then throw a humbucker in the bridge of your strat and be on your way.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I'd say go for a cheap second hand Marshall JCM if you can find one, and if you can afford it go for a wah if your more leaned towards Hendrix, or a good Humbucker in your strat if your more leaned towards Slash.
Archbishop of Zeppelinism...

Quote by Beakwithteeth
Get him into blues. Lyrical depth-not so much. But it is groovy and it is black people's music so if he doesn't enjoy then he is not a true black person.

dude dont butcher your strat for a humbucker, if you want good tone just pick up a slash sig Cry baby.....instantly will make you abit more slashlike nd does hendrix well.....does it okish, well enough unless your playing huge gigs, and invest in a decent amp, with that mexican strat i dont think you need to change it just upgrade your amp and add that slash wah as its an overdrive and a wah all in one...hope it helps
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
Quote by nav00
dude dont butcher your strat for a humbucker, if you want good tone just pick up a slash sig Cry baby.....instantly will make you abit more slashlike nd does hendrix well.....does it okish, well enough unless your playing huge gigs, and invest in a decent amp, with that mexican strat i dont think you need to change it just upgrade your amp and add that slash wah as its an overdrive and a wah all in one...hope it helps

Wroooooong, the slash wah sounds nothing like slash. Slash uses a rackmounted crybaby, not the sig slash wah. The slash wah is a joke.

He can always keep his old pickguard and switch it back to SSS (if that's even what it is now).
Quote by Kevin Saale
Ditch the zoom and the crate and get a classic 30 or a traynor ycv50 blue used, then throw a humbucker in the bridge of your strat and be on your way.

could the classic 30 be substitued for a Blues Jr ?
what humbucker should i use?

thank you very much
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka
I heard there is uranium gas in the tubes. So you could easily make a little nuclear blast. If i were you, i wouldn't want to start the World War III.

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
A humbucker will hellp a lot. A solid Marshally sounding amp too. Traynor YCV50 should do it. A wah and you'll be set.

And the Blues Junior is too American Soundinh
No, I love my blues jr, but it will not do slash tones. I dunno about the bucker, I do know slash uses alnico II pups so that's a start. If you want to go all out you could get and HSH or HH pickguard for your strat and put slashs sig pups in both slots, but you'll lose your strat neck tones.

I think an HSS strat with an alnico II in the bridge will get you close to what you want.

I guess I should ask, are you more after slashes lead tone or rhythm tone?
the classic 30 is more british voiced, it will sound more like a marshall. the fender will sound more american, and won't have much drive. i would highly recomend you stick with the classic 30, i mean hendrix and slash both used marshalls. the classic has good cleans anyways, so you'll be fine.
Hendrix used marshalls live, in the studio he used fenders with fuzz faces, specifically the princeton and bassman if I'm not mistaken.

I still agree with the classic 30 or traynor ycv50.
bridge and neck lowish output alnico II humbuckers + those amps kevin and felix mentioned would be a good idea. i'm not sure if MIMs are routed for neck humbuckers, though
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Kevin Saale

I guess I should ask, are you more after slashes lead tone or rhythm tone?

More of his lead tone...as much as Fender is known for their clean neck pickup tone, it (IMO) sucks for soloing and i barely play cleanly so i wouldn't mind swapping out the neck pickup.

What about something like a Valve Junior or a Little Giant?

edit: i dont gig and wont in a very long time, in case anyone is taking that in consideration
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
i thought I just read that electric lady land was recorded with a plexi, it was in that recent guitar world on the making of E.L.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Hendrix used marshalls live, in the studio he used fenders with fuzz faces, specifically the princeton and bassman if I'm not mistaken.

i thought he used super and twin reverbs, but i'm probably wrong...anywho, the classic 30 suggestions are spot on, and a vox wah or standard crybaby would work just fine for a wah. and for the pickup, just get a hotrails and then you don't need to even mod you guitar's pickguard
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
how about the crate palomino v series?

They're supposed to be the peavey classic's main competitor from what I've heard...

they're pretty much the same as far as quality goes, although the classic is better for cleans and the palomino is better for overdrive.
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Classic Vibe '60s Tele
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15
50s Stella Parlor Acoustic

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
thanks for everything, especially kevin and mcrfobtai...ill have to look around a bit more but thanks..
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
How good is the Peavey Classic 30 for stuff like general 70s rock i.e. Zeppelin, Queen, also stuff like 80s "power metal" like Ozzy and Judas Priest? Would something a Peavey Classic 30 cover those or would you need to pair it up with something else (like some effects pedal or something) to get that sorta tone. Reason I'm asking is I saw a Peavey classic 30 for $485cad on local craigslist. Can prolly talk the price down, but it sounds interesting.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
I've not a lot of experience with them, felix has one though. From what I know they are pretty much perfect for classic rock, have enough gain for hard rock and can do metal with an overdrive pedal, so it should be just fine for zeppelin, queen, Ozzy and Judas priest since all of those bands but queen used marshalls, and brian may used an AC30 which is a british voiced amp.
Quote by ilikeguitar90
how about the crate palomino v series?

They're supposed to be the peavey classic's main competitor from what I've heard...

they're pretty much the same as far as quality goes, although the classic is better for cleans and the palomino is better for overdrive.

Well, that's all subjective. I almost bought a Palomino, but in the end I went for a Classic 30 because I liked its drive more.

Quote by MustangSVT
How good is the Peavey Classic 30 for stuff like general 70s rock i.e. Zeppelin, Queen, also stuff like 80s "power metal" like Ozzy and Judas Priest? Would something a Peavey Classic 30 cover those or would you need to pair it up with something else (like some effects pedal or something) to get that sorta tone. Reason I'm asking is I saw a Peavey classic 30 for $485cad on local craigslist. Can prolly talk the price down, but it sounds interesting.

You really should start yor own thread, but it does 70's stuff really well, and can do "Power Metal" though you may need a boost. But they are great amps. I don't know Canadian pricing but it sounds pretty good.

EDIT:
Quote by Kevin Saale
I've not a lot of experience with them, felix has one though. From what I know they are pretty much perfect for classic rock, have enough gain for hard rock and can do metal with an overdrive pedal, so it should be just fine for zeppelin, queen, Ozzy and Judas priest since all of those bands but queen used marshalls, and brian may used an AC30 which is a british voiced amp.

Yup, they are perfecty for that stuff. Actually, the Classic 30 is a bit more Voxy. It's designed to have a british voicing, the EL84's just make it more Voxy then Marshally. But it can still nail a "Marshall" tone. The YCV50 really has a Marshall tone though,
Last edited by mcrfobtai at Nov 17, 2008,
You can do that with an overdrive pedal no problem. The amp can pull off most high-gain stuff except for modern metal.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Look at the satchurator, I think it sounds kinda like slash's tone, bur an amp upgrade is your best bet, but ehich one depends on whether you play more slash or more hendrix
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
The amp can get pretty heavy when EQ'd correctly on the lead channel with a bucker

Mine gets some very Iron Maiden tones when cranked, so it's by no means a thin amps. You could easily get slash with this considering his sort of generic marshall type tone, and this amps very british voicing.
With an overdrive this thing can do say, Death, Sepultura, Rob Zombie, Pantera... It gets pretty heavy.
Quote by mcrfobtai

You really should start yor own thread, but it does 70's stuff really well, and can do "Power Metal" though you may need a boost. But they are great amps. I don't know Canadian pricing but it sounds pretty good.

I didn't want to start another thread to clutter up UG, so I just wanted to comment here. I got the response I wanted, thank you very much and sorry for derailing the thread if I did. Again thank you for answering my question.

You also mention this:

Yup, they are perfecty for that stuff. Actually, the Classic 30 is a bit more Voxy. It's designed to have a british voicing, the EL84's just make it more Voxy then Marshally. But it can still nail a "Marshall" tone. The YCV50 really has a Marshall tone though,

Considering that, would be it wiser then to save up for the Traynor YCV50 if presented with opportunity of the aforementioned Peavey classic. I guess this is a hard question to answer and only me (or the TS or anyone looking for an amp) would truly know the answer, but unless you have both amps side by side it'd be pretty hard to tell I think.

edit: Ok i won't ask any more question to derail the thread
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Last edited by MustangSVT at Nov 17, 2008,
'59 Gibson Les Paul and a few vintage marshalls
"My name is Forrest, Forrest Gump. People call me Forrest Gump"
Quote by giiii
'59 Gibson Les Paul and a few vintage marshalls

i mean did you really have to bump a thread from november and not even help out?

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Traynor YCV*** or Orange Tiny Terror (preferably with an overdrive pedal), plus a Little '59 in the bridge of your Strat.

edit: Hang on,what's with the bump? Are 2009 problems not important enough for ya?
Last edited by kyle62 at Jan 4, 2009,