k so I have a antique white epiphone s-310 sg, ceramic pickups, and basically stock. but i wanna put a whammy on it! ive heard the easiest to do is a bigsby tailpiece...my question for that is which model fits it? and how about a maestro? easier/harder....and which model?
id buy a different guitar with a tremolo already in it, how old are we talking? you say antique, is it 20 years? 30? more? if so i wouldnt really mess with it, i like the classic look.

its all up to you, getting a cavity put in the body for something like a floyd will be expensive unless you do it yourself, i dont know much about bigsbys
so what from what i gather from all the other much smarter people here:

Conor1148 i believe he meant antique white as in the color which is a yellowing white. As for a FR you cannot put it on an unless its custom as the bodies are too thing. but for answering TS question... Im sorry i do not know i just had to clear up the misconceptions
Quote by Dr. House
Nice vibe you just put out there. Its like daddy just hit mommy at the dinner table and we all still want to eat.
In my opinion, putting a Bigsby on an Epi G310 would be like putting really shiny rims on an old beater Ford or something.

I'm sure it could be done if you're really into it, though.
I think the antique just refers to the color. It is "antique white." I wouldn't do it. You'll run in to tuning problems for sure. I'd just look into a new guitar if I wanted a trem.
yup i did mean its colour...and I dunno I heard for bigsbys you dont even need to drill new holes, it just replaces the bar..so it wouldnt be too hard

p.s. nobody answered my questions tho :P
No, with a Bigsby some drilling is almost always required, plus you're left with two open holes where the stopbar used to be.

You can buy a Stetsbar which is a clean retro fit for Gibson-style bridges. They cost a couple of hundred though, for the cost of one Stetsbar you could simply buy a new guitar with a vibrato unit already installed (in fact Epi used to make an SG G-400 with a Bigsby).

Those are pretty much your only options though.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
ok two things:
Quote by end_citizen
I think the antique just refers to the color. It is "antique white." I wouldn't do it. You'll run in to tuning problems for sure. I'd just look into a new guitar if I wanted a trem

Who says there will be any tuning problems? as long as the scale length is right there will be no tuning problems.

Quote by conor1148
its all up to you, getting a cavity put in the body for something like a floyd will be expensive unless you do it yourself,

SGs are not thick enough for a cavity.

So to the TS, you can not have a standard trem (which it looks like you did not plan on having anyway), good luck finding a Maestro, there almost impossible (except for allparts ), Bigsbys may look great (although I hate the look) they don't have much range, just enough for "flutters." Stetsbar is always a great option except their quite expensive, another trem I would recommend is a Kahler, you will need to do a small amount of routing on the top of the body for them (not to much though) so there perfect for SGs and they are almost equivalent to a Floyd Rose, you will be able to big dive bombs, pull ups and flutters, although they are locking they can not keep tune when bending.

Its all up to you, depending on how much you wanna spend, what you wanna have to do and how you play.

If you do want to replace the bridge you will need to get the intonation (scale length) right. I don't feel like typing it all now so, post below and I or someone else will tell you how to get it right
id say save for the custom maestro model.
cause putting a maestro or something on it isnt really worth it, cause of how much it would cost.
This next band asked me to read this 'Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Molly Hatchet all had sex and now please welcome their two-headed baby 'Tenacious D '

myspace.com/dinosaur_sandwich
Quote by guitarcam123
ok two things:

Who says there will be any tuning problems? as long as the scale length is right there will be no tuning problems.

SGs are not thick enough for a cavity.

So to the TS, you can not have a standard trem (which it looks like you did not plan on having anyway), good luck finding a Maestro, there almost impossible (except for allparts ), Bigsbys may look great (although I hate the look) they don't have much range, just enough for "flutters." Stetsbar is always a great option except their quite expensive, another trem I would recommend is a Kahler, you will need to do a small amount of routing on the top of the body for them (not to much though) so there perfect for SGs and they are almost equivalent to a Floyd Rose, you will be able to big dive bombs, pull ups and flutters, although they are locking they can not keep tune when bending.

Its all up to you, depending on how much you wanna spend, what you wanna have to do and how you play.

If you do want to replace the bridge you will need to get the intonation (scale length) right. I don't feel like typing it all now so, post below and I or someone else will tell you how to get it right

kahlers wont work, think off the neck angle, and neither will floyds as the sustain block will stick out of the other side

best bet s a bigsby or a stets bar imo
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
thanks 4 the lotsa ideas here....i still think bigsby is my best option tho, because it has a good rep for staying in tune, not too expensive, i dont really intend to do dive bombing with it anyways, so thats not an issue, and as for hole drilling, seeing as it is just an epiphone it wont really damage resale value; if anything it'll put it up, so thats a plus.....

p.s.
Quote by whiteraven119
In my opinion, putting a Bigsby on an Epi G310 would be like putting really shiny rims on an old beater Ford or something.

I'm sure it could be done if you're really into it, though.

not gonna argue with that....but hey whats wrong with putting shiny rims on an old beater anyway?
Last edited by fyrefish at Nov 18, 2008,
Bigsby's I have used have been really unsmooth to use, and only bring the pitch up and down 1 1/2 steps. A stetsbar would be highly recommended, they're certainly different, but a lot more practical if you are playing metal or rock. A bigsby is a lot more intended towards rockablilly, jazz and blues styles of music.

Whatever's your cup of tea.
Quote by IROBOTInferno
I've never been caught (beating off), but my dad was picking up my gf once and "accidentaly" grabbed her boobs.