Page 1 of 2
I am currently in the market for a new bass and found this traben 5 stringer with in my budget...should i go for the five string...im under the impression that 5 strings are mainly used for metal correct??
http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Array%205%20String%20Bass%20Satin%20Black_-1_10052_10002_-49977896_cmCategorySA181747
On the 5 string = metal: Not really no, a 5 string bass is useful in all genres as it gives you a extended range of notes you can play.

I can't comment on that bass though

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Quote by dancesisidance
On the 5 string = metal: Not really no, a 5 string bass is useful in all genres as it gives you a extended range of notes you can play.

I can't comment on that bass though

any specific songs for 5 string listening?
Quote by froggyman
any specific songs for 5 string listening?

Most songs you can think of. Anything that can be played on a four can be played on a five. Instead of listening to songs, take a song you know and incorporate notes onto the low B so you can lock in one hand position for more notes- e.g. say you're playing 9-11-12 on the E, and want to go down to the 4th fret. Instead, play the 9th fret on the B.
Dang, I gotta cancel my order from Musicians Friend o.o I'm buying this same bass, and I'll be paying $50 more at MF! I'm lucky it's on back order there xD
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I've played one of those a few times at guitar center, they're really good for the price. They have very fast necks.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by froggyman
fast=slim?

Not necessarily. I've played Fenders with fast necks. It's how easily you can go up and down the neck. The opposite of fast is sticky.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
IMO, for metal just play dropped tuning, from my experience (note I normally only play black and death when it comes to metal) there's not really a NEED to have a 5er, but it is nice if you don't like switching tunings since you have those 4 extra notes.
Quote by Shy Guy
IMO, for metal just play dropped tuning, from my experience (note I normally only play black and death when it comes to metal) there's not really a NEED to have a 5er, but it is nice if you don't like switching tunings since you have those 4 extra notes.

Said it once, and I will say it again, and I assume many more times-

a low B string is not a licence to not downtune. Many songs would be harder to play on a standard 5 than in, say drop C. Or even drop D.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Said it once, and I will say it again, and I assume many more times-

a low B string is not a licence to not downtune. Many songs would be harder to play on a standard 5 than in, say drop C. Or even drop D.

I don't know about you but I think I would love to put a 5 string in Drop D and leave the B string alone just to try it.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
I don't know about you but I think I would love to put a 5 string in Drop D and leave the B string alone just to try it.

I often do it. Especially when playing Lamb of God. Pedalling to the open D is much easier than hitting the 3rd fret on the B every other note. Same with stuff in drop C- I will retune, because it's easier to hit an open note than it is to fret the 1st fret on the B.
It makes sense to do that considering it was written to be played like that. I'm buying a 5 string in the near future to spare my 4 string from being tuned to B Standard and I love the extra string for riffing.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Shy Guy

ehh tuning actually isnt too bad...especially since i got this nice chromatic tuner
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I often do it. Especially when playing Lamb of God. Pedalling to the open D is much easier than hitting the 3rd fret on the B every other note. Same with stuff in drop C- I will retune, because it's easier to hit an open note than it is to fret the 1st fret on the B.

Didn't John Campbell once play a modded 3 string bass?
Well, it may just be me so high up on my pedestal, but I just find it odd how you used a band with a bassist who plays 3/4 string basses when your trying to exhibit uses of a 5 stringer, but hey, that's just me
Quote by Shy Guy
Well, it may just be me so high up on my pedestal, but I just find it odd how you used a band with a bassist who plays 3/4 string basses when your trying to exhibit uses of a 5 stringer, but hey, that's just me

That wasn't pointing out a pro of 5 strings. It was showing that using a 5 string doesn't mean you won't have to drop tune. Please, learn to read comprehensively.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Shy Guy

Completely missing my point by about 17 miles.
Quote by szekelymihai
mostly yes, but also more complex stuff. also jazz players use them

Most true jazz bassists use uprights...which are 4 strings
Quote by yingyangthang
Most true jazz bassists use uprights...which are 4 strings

You can get 5 stringed uprights. And there's no such thing as a "true" jazz bassist. A jazz bassist is a jazz bassist is a jazz bassist.

AFAIK (but I may be wrong) Jaco and Marcus Miller didn't/don't play uprights. Would you not call them jazz bassists?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
You can get 5 stringed uprights. And there's no such thing as a "true" jazz bassist. A jazz bassist is a jazz bassist is a jazz bassist.

AFAIK (but I may be wrong) Jaco and Marcus Miller didn't/don't play uprights. Would you not call them jazz bassists?

I would call them jazz influenced, but I wouldnt call them jazz musicians in the traditional sense of the word.

While there are exceptions, if I was going to college to major in playing jazz bass, I would do my audition on an upright

And I honestly have never seen a 5 string upright. Not saying they dont exsist, Ive just never seen one, which tells me they're not that common or practical.
Quote by froggyman
fast=slim?

Sorry I'm a bit late on this, though I think it'll help get the thread back on topic..

Yes, it does have a slim neck, but that's not all that makes it fast. They have a nice smooth finish, low action, and good fretwork as well...you can really move around on them.

Honestly, the first time I picked one up and played it, I was expecting the price tag to be at least $1500. I was quite surprised when it was in the $400 range.
Nope, no sig here.
I had the same reservations you did, and if I could CHOOSE a 4 or 5 string, I would pick a 4 string every time, IF I hadn't bought a 5 string. As I said before, you do get a lot more options in playing, there are literally NO notes you can't play, and it will standardize your fingerstlye technique for on a 4 string.

The odd thing about my Squier HM 5'er is that the neck on it woudl be PERFECT for a guitar neck...like, if I could find a 6 string guitar with the EXACT measurements as the neck on that thing, I would buy it in a heartbeat. I think that might be what's making me love the bass...is that the neck is just phenomenal.
Quote by Anjohl
I had the same reservations you did, and if I could CHOOSE a 4 or 5 string, I would pick a 4 string every time, IF I hadn't bought a 5 string. As I said before, you do get a lot more options in playing, there are literally NO notes you can't play, and it will standardize your fingerstlye technique for on a 4 string.

The odd thing about my Squier HM 5'er is that the neck on it woudl be PERFECT for a guitar neck...like, if I could find a 6 string guitar with the EXACT measurements as the neck on that thing, I would buy it in a heartbeat. I think that might be what's making me love the bass...is that the neck is just phenomenal.

That is true for one string with 12 frets.....I'm not sure if you understand the concept that all the notes repeat and there are only 12. (counting the octave)
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
(Invalid img)

5 string upright. Yes, they do exist. Yes, I have seen a jazz bass player playing one. Twice in fact.

And I saw Dave Brubreck son, Chris play with his dad and he played a 4003FL the entire time. No uprights.

Now I would get a fiver myself and my next bass will be a fiver. There are many times esp. in Jazz when I would love to have that low Eb or a bit more economy of motion.
Looks just like my school's....I wish I had a low Eb for twelve bar blues stuff.....
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by froggyman
also to some one with experiance with the traben, is does it give a good tone for effects?

I'm not sure how something has a good tone for effects. Different effects have different effects on different tones. From what I've heard, Traben has a pretty solid and big sound so I would assume most effects would work nicely. If I go to Guitar Center any time soon I'll try and find one since I'm looking at a Traben 5 string and I'll tell you.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Even having proved the existence of an upright 5 string, my point still stands.

But on topic.

If this is your first 5 string, dont just get it because it has 5 strings. Ask yourself if theres songs you play where a low B would help legit.

Because if you dont really need it, the hassle of getting comfy with a 5 string may not be worth it
Quote by yingyangthang
Even having proved the existence of an upright 5 string, my point still stands.

But on topic.

If this is your first 5 string, dont just get it because it has 5 strings. Ask yourself if theres songs you play where a low B would help legit.

Because if you dont really need it, the hassle of getting comfy with a 5 string may not be worth it

But you should get a five string because it has five strings. I always rant on about this, but economy of motion is extremely important, and a low B WILL help you achieve that.
^ It doesn't take that long at all. My dad, a blues player of a few decades (meaning he's very used to a four string), was able to get used to it within a few days. He has a MIM Jazz V which has a huge neck.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by BladeSlinger
That is true for one string with 12 frets.....I'm not sure if you understand the concept that all the notes repeat and there are only 12. (counting the octave)

I am quite aware of that, but there are HUGE differences between a Low and a high B.....
Quote by Anjohl
I am quite aware of that, but there are HUGE differences between a Low and a high B.....

The way you worded it didn't really make much sense though. "there are literally NO notes you can't play" That was already true so I don't see why you pointed it out.....Sorry if I'm being a prick but this kind of stuff just bugs me
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Shy Guy
there's not really a NEED to have a 5er, but it is nice if you don't like switching tunings since you have those 4 extra notes.

5 Notes actually.....a string can be played open. If you feel like you'll need a 5er then get one, but, if you feel like your not........don't. Its not hard, a 5er can be used for any types of music. think about it.......
Quote by IndianRockStar
The bass SHOULD cover the bottom end at the very least.

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
From what I've tried from Traben's I'm not overly fond of the look and sound of those huge bridges. Maybe its because I dislike the look I convince myself that it plays ****ty, but hey! I dunno make sure you try one before you buy as there not for everyone!
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
ok ive played the traben array attack 4 string amazing bass and well worth the cost but heres my bone with 5vers it is not such a great idea in many cases with a beginer.
there is no true need to have a fiver just substitute it with octaves if you have to as not playing that long myself i wouldnt get on because its a new feel of course you can get used to it but you may not feel great switching back down to a four also fivers cost more money but if you insist on getting one http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_TRAAA5BKB%20Array%20Attack%205%20String%20Electric%20Bass%20Black%20Burl_-1_10052_10002_-49956704_cmCategorySA182949
this is certainly worth the extra
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Page 1 of 2