All rite so i am thinking of getting a new bass for Christmas. I am a little confused though. I was thinking of getting either a Fender Standard Jazz Bass, a Fender Precision Bass or a Epiphone IV Thunderbird. I play mostly classic rock. (Led Zeppelin, The Doors,etc.) But also like to play Chili Peppers and some metal. I am leaning towards the Precision Bass but am not sure. Or do you guys think i should be looking at something else in that price range. Please help. Thanks in advance.
Here are some links to the basses.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Standard-Jazz-Bass-516042-i1148889.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Standard-Precision-Bass-516041-i1148883.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Thunderbird-IV-Bass-100388504-i1150015.gc
Read the FAQ. Now that that's out of the way......

I would steer clear of the Epi Thunderbird. That's pretty much all I can give you in terms of advice, next to the fact that you should definately go to a guitar store and play through as many basses as you can. I take it that your price range is $500 tops; however, you really can't go wrong with either MIM Fender Bass. They're simple, upgradeable, and easy to use. My first "real" bass was a MIM Jazz 4-string, and I still have it today after years of use.

You really need to play each to see which one is for you. The Jazz will sound more aggressive and will have a slimmer neck, the P-bass will be rounder-toned and have a wider, chunkier neck. Both basses are incredibly versatile and can be used for just about anything. Both have their virtues; you need to see which one speaks to you.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Nov 17, 2008,
The Fender Jazz bass is more versatile in terms of music styles. It can handle pretty much every music style. Just use .110 for the E string if you're going to drop D it for metal and you're set. Plus you can't really slap on a Precision bass for the RHCP stuff. The Jazz was my first "real" bass too and is still my primary. I have a P-bass too, but the Jazz wins almost every time
Gear:
Fender Telecaster w/ Vintage Noiseless Pickup
Epi Les Paul SH-2/SH-11
Fender Blues Jr.

Fender Jazz Bass w/ Badass II Bridge & Custom Shop '69 Pickups
Fender P-Bass w/ Basslines 1/4lb. pickup
Ibanez GSR200
Fender Bassman 150
You can slap any bass; it's just a matter of how it's set up. A well-maintained Precision with nickel rounds has a fantastic slap tone- super chunky and strong.

EDIT: In terms of versatility, both can be used for any range of genres or styles; however, the Jazz is more tonally flexible due to having two pickups with separate volume controls. Simple fact. However, I wouldn't be ashamed to use either bass for any genre. At that point, it's simple preference.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Jazz bass hands down. Stay away from the epi, and the Precision is a one trick pony, whereas you seen every man and his hamster with a jazz
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
One of the Fenders, definately, avoid the Epi. The Jazz vs. Precision thing is pretty much personal prefrence, both are amazing. If your ask my opinion, Jazz.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Ah yes, I forgot to inject my personal opinion: if it were me, I'd take the Precision. I love my Jazz, but in terms of Fender basses, I prefer the P-bass. I would trade mine, but I've had it for so long it'd really be a pain to part with it
go play the basses, see what you like.

And anyone who tells you, "the jazz can play more styles," is a moe. The jazz and precision can play the same styles, no problem, it's just personal preferance on the tone, J-bass fanboys will tell you the P can't do just, and Fender fanboys will tell you the thunderbird blows.

Me personally, I hate the T-birds, but they're not terrible basses. They've got an ok tone, they play ok and they look pretty badass. I just hate the way they sound and feel, not a big fan, but that's my preferance. I also prefer P-basses over J-basses, cause I love how thick the P-bass tone is, but, once again: my opinion.

You can play any style of music with any bass, you may look a bit out of place playing Death Metal with a '62 reissue jazz bass, but it'll get the job done, and vice versa: you may look rediculous playing blues and jazz on an LTD F series bass, but it works.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
The Jazz or The P-bass would do both great. I myself am a P-bass kinda guy.

The P-bass has much more "thump" than the jazz, which to me is a big plus.

About the versatility issue, the P-bass can't achieve the same amout of tones a Jazz can, but it will fit in. You can from that down-right-funky-ass fingerstyle to some agressive punk to Steve Harris-esq metal. I wouldn't consider it a one trick pony.
Basically what it'll boil down to is that the Jazz will have a whole bunch of tones that will fit in many different situations, and the Precision will have one basic tone that will fit in with just about everything. That's not to say that its doesn't change (they're actually quite versatile), but you'll definitely know it's a P bass.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
Basically what it'll boil down to is that the Jazz will have a whole bunch of tones that will fit in many different situations, and the Precision will have one basic tone that will fit in with just about everything. That's not to say that its doesn't change (they're actually quite versatile), but you'll definitely know it's a P bass.

yeah, but I've never heard a J-bass and said, "that sounds like a p-bass" unless there were some mods down to it. Same can be said about the P-bass, in that case. The dual single coils vs. the single split HB has a pretty big tone differance. To me, the only truly versatile basses are the one with active electronics, phase switching, coil tapping and/or more than one kind of pick up. THAT's where you can get some variety in tone.

Think about this.... P-bass deluxe with Duncan p/ups, phase switching, stacked J-bass bridge with coil tap... now... THAT'S versatile.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
jazz. better sound than any other for copping JPJ of Zeppelin, and much better for imitating Flea in my opinion.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Second hand! I got my Status second hand and it pwns any other bass I've played and I got it for a great price too.
You can't comment on gear until you have tried it!
Quote by mountaindew88
You can slap any bass; it's just a matter of how it's set up. A well-maintained Precision with nickel rounds has a fantastic slap tone- super chunky and strong.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I've had this argument with so many players and its nice to see that I am not the only one who feels this way.

And yes, not to belabor a point, but it is a matter of preference. I would love to own a MIA Precision bass over a MIA Jazz. Preferably Max's.
Alright thanks guys I think im just going to go to the store and try them both. See with one feels better and buy witch one i like thanks for everyones input.