What Scales do most classic Metal use,like Judas Priest Iron Maiden and Randy Rhoads. w/Ozzy,In that kind of style.
Im sure they use Major/Minor Pentatonics but what else do they use?
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here
Last edited by jwax at Nov 17, 2008,
harmonic minor is used alot i think
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
1. It's Rhoads.
2. Check out Harmonic Minor and start reading up on modes.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Natural Minor or Aeolian scale, Harmonic Minor (when used in certain ways, gives that "neoclassical" feel), and as H4T3BR33D3R says, modes are the way to go after that.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Most musicians don't really use any radical scales to solo with. The only things you really need to know are the modes and the harmonic minor/phrygian dominant.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by jwax
What Scales do most classic Metal use,like Judas Priest Iron Maiden and Randy Rhoads. w/Ozzy,In that kind of style.
Unless you want your music to sound Chinese, no.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by Underjoggle
Unless you want your music to sound Chinese, no.

The major pentatonic doesn't make you sound Chinese all the time. In fact, it's good to know it for variation. There are many ways that one can go from Major Pentatonic to Minor Pentatonic that sound sweet.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
+1
Major pentatonic tends to make you sound country if anything.

Quote by jwax

To be honest most of what you'll find in their stuff is plain ol' natural minor.

You'll need to swot up up on the notes on the fretboard, major scale and it's intervals to be in a position to learn it properly though.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Minor Pentatonic
Phrygian
Dorian
Locrian
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
early priest uses a lot of minor penatonics, after that, just pick any minor scale
whats the best way to start learning modes. I have very little experience with them. Also, what do you think is the best way to learn the neck of the guitar?
Learn all your pentontic positions in the same key (5 different shapes)

learn all 7 modes in the same key....you can use these different positions as a map to solo ALL over the fretboard (but listen closely to the tonal qualities of each mode)

alternate scales: Harmonic and Melodic minor, "Spanish" dominant Phrygian and diminished scales