I was wondering, in which way does amps use power?

I mean, if I have a 120 watt amp, the power consumption is obviously higher than that of a 30 watts, but does it always use the full 120 watts? Or is it related to the volume?

So, will a 120 watt (tube) amp put to its lowest volume use more power than a 30 watts solid state that's cranked?
Well, the amount wattage is amp is rated for is how much it puts out clean (clean is relative since all amp makes test this differently). The amp is going to draw a lot more power than it puts out since they are quite inefficient, especially tube amps.

I'm no expert, but I think a 120 watt tube amp is going to draw a lot more power than a 30watts solid state, regardless of the settings. Tube amp consume quite a bit of power just being on since all the tubes have heaters and require electricity.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
^That's voltage, has nothing to do with wattage.
your tube amp rated at 120 probably crankks out 80 to 90 watts max volume(depending on the tubes and bias)
solid state cranks out less than it is rated too, i just dont have an estimate
and as to your question, the 120w tube uses more if it is on standby than the solid 30w
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Tube amps tend to produce more wattage when they clip so a 100 watt amp cranked (IE a plexi) would produce more than 100 watts, which led to artists using two 100 watt cabs with plexis since they were blowing single cabs out.
amp manufacturers make amps rated higher wattage than they can actually put out. they do this by running the tubes at less capacity than the tube can actually handle, therefore not straining the tube nearly as much, but also limiting the wattage to less than the amp is rated at.
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION