Hey UG. I have never posted on the forums, but I've been reading for quite a few years and I'm an avid user of the tab database. Now its finally time that I've got a question of my own.

I've been playing for about 5 years with the good old Squire Strat and some no name 10 watt amp. Yesterday I just purchased my first 'real' guitar (Epi Les Paul Plustop) for my birthday and I think it'd be a nice compliment to upgrade the amp along with it. I only play for leisure at home, no gigs or recording, so I figure about 30watts would be all I really need, more is fine if it falls in the price range. As far as style, I don't have anything too specific. I play a lot of clean bluesy licks in the likes of John Mayer and SRV, but also will do mildly distorted things like RHCP, Cake, Foo Fighters, Incubus, Weezer, U2, Rage. Nothing crazy distorted or metal. I'm looking in the range of $150 all the way to $300 max.

Most amps I've been looking into are Marshalls simply because I thought it was a respected name, but I've seen a lot of bashing of the MG line here. Which is why I'm consulting you good people. Some models I'm interested in are the following
-http://www.guitarcenter.com/Crate-V-Series-V50-112-50W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-487054-i1322695.gc
-http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Spider-III-30-30W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-103944799-i1168995.gc
-http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-25R-Frontman-Series-II-Guitar-Combo-100364739-i1145385.gc
-http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-MG30DFX-Combo-101704088-i1145938.gc
-http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-MG15MSII-Micro-Stack-101897007-i1145874.gc

Hopefully someone can shed some light, if i've been too vague in any way I can try to expand. As far as type of amp (SS, tube, ect.) I'm not sure whats what, so no preference there. Thanks
check out vox ad series amps. if you just want a 30W practice amp, then tube is probably overkill. especially the 50.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--VOXVT30

that line 6 is nothing that you want in quality or tone.

fender 25R- has nothing but an ok clean channel.

and the mg series is garbage.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Nov 18, 2008,
Quote by jj1565
check out vox ad series amps. if you just want a 30W practice amp, then tube is probably overkill.

line 6 is nothing that you want in quality or tone.

fender 25R- has nothing but an ok clean channel.

and the mg series is garbage.

I second this. I was going to recommend Vox amps, but I see I was beaten to it.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
a kazoo will rock some ass for like 85 cents.

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Krik harmret cuz he can prey der gertur wit te wurr wurr pedar!!

http://www.myspace.com/caledonia
i got a 40w peavey and its loud,the clean sounds awsome, and so does the dirty.. check it out-its also pretty reasonable
Maybe try out a 5 watt tube amp. I'm not a huge fan, but they are fairly popular. The Epiphone valve junior and blackheart little giant are the ones to look at.

Also, +1 to jenny

^To above poster: Simply recommending a brand does no good at all, not to mention the TS isn't looking for anything quite so large.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
dont get a spider
or any line 6
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
the vox amps sound really nice.... you should just go try these NOW to see which one you like lol
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
I see. Looks like everyone is leaning Vox. I shall go to guitarcenter and try some out. Thank you

One last thing- Still, does anybody have anything to say about the Marshall Microstack, is it crap like the MG? I just can't help but be seduced by the things good looks.
No, it's not like the MG.

It's worse.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
if you arent crazy about the vox, then check out the cube 30 too.

the 5 watt tube amps mentioned, and even a smaller crate value.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Check out the vox valvetronix clips in my profile, I have one for sale, link is in my siggy

If you like the clips, I can take more for you, sounds perfect for what your looking for, very versatile

(and no I'm just not trying to sell it, I don't even care to sell it for a while, I don't need the money for anything)

ask anyone here they should agree

EDIT: wow, I posted this before reading what everyone else said and they like all said vox ad30vt

just your luck I've never gigged with the amp, never left my basement, Not a single mark on it AT ALL, sounds great all mint condition. Try one at guitar center though to make sure you like them, everyone who's tried mine has!
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Last edited by danyellenik at Nov 17, 2008,
Spiders suck, but don't dismiss everything Line 6 does - the Vetta II and Pod XT/Pod X3 are awesome.

Over your price range though, and the Pods aren't an amplifier.

Just saying.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by SFMMcoasters
One last thing- Still, does anybody have anything to say about the Marshall Microstack, is it crap like the MG? I just can't help but be seduced by the things good looks.

The Marshall Microstack is an MG so it's crap.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
The Marshall Microstack is an MG so it's crap.

+1
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Go for either the Vox or the Cube, final answer.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
Not an MG, trust me, I know from experience.

Not the Line 6 either, tried them out before, not good.

I'd say the Fender, i'm not much of a Crate fan myself, but you may like them.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
i think an epiphone valve junior would be good for you, and they're less than $250 last time i checked. Maybe a crate v18 if you were feeling dangerous.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

SOUND MASON σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Pickups for sale!
Quote by tigerking615
The Crate V18 or V33 should suit you fine.

definitely one of these

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

I am sick and bloody tired of people hating on Line6 simply because of the Spider range of amps. When are the uninitiated ever going to learn / understand / fall off the wagon that that range DOES NOT mean ALL kit by Line6 is sh*t???? FFS!!! Is a Marshall JCM800 **** because of the MG??? Are Crate Vseries **** coz of the Flexwave? I mean get educated or get the f*ck out.

Try out a flextone - great practice amp, as is the Vox hybrids, Roland Cube series (30X and above). As far as tube amps I wouldn't bother looking for much more than a 5W amp. This is because wattage is not directly proportionate to loudness. You might think that 5W is a small number but actually for home use they are plenty loud - in some cases too loud. Have a look at Epi Valve Jrs, Blackheart Little Giant/Killer Ant/Zvex Nano.

You could try the Peavey Vypyr too but I never played that as yet.

Good luck and try before you buy
Quote by UnicronAlliance
I am sick and bloody tired of people hating on Line6 simply because of the Spider range of amps. When are the uninitiated ever going to learn / understand / fall off the wagon that that range DOES NOT mean ALL kit by Line6 is sh*t???? FFS!!! Is a Marshall JCM800 **** because of the MG??? Are Crate Vseries **** coz of the Flexwave? I mean get educated or get the f*ck out.

you need to calm down.

i for one said the line 6 wasnt what he wanted tonally or in quality, meaning the line 6 he posted.

generally speaking, the guys on the site know that we are talking about the spider series. especially when one is put in front of us in a link, in the first post.

someone else brought this up already in his post, but he said it intelligently, and it was noted.

really, what are you going on about?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

@ jj1565

I know people on here know what they are talking about but only a minority I'm afraid - and before you say anything I'm NOT including you in that minority. I have noted your replies in other threads which are usually very good advice.

However, the TS might have posted link to Spider. Instead of informing him that that RANGE was no good you said "Line 6 is nothing you want in quality or tone". That's simply untrue and misleading. Kevin Saale, Holy-Diver, and mcrfobtai all said the same thing which to be honest is inane!

I know it probably an over-reaction on my part (I thought that when I re-read it!) and I should come to expect that from t'internet. But come on...........there are people posting comments like that who I would have thought knew better.

I apologise for my part though - rant over!
haha, yeah i was going to be more specific after i read what exo wrote about line 6. but i thought he said it straight already. so i didnt bother wt the edit.

i know UG is upsetting sometimes, just hang in there.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

i know UG is upsetting sometimes, just hang in there.

And stay away from The Pit. If it doesn't frustrate you, nothing will.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
The Peavey Vypyr 30 at $200 is a good deal. I bought the Vypyr 15 just to have a cheap lightweight amp with FX to tote around and I really like it. If you go with a tube amp then factor in the price of pedals. Or make sure you get one with separate gain and volume. The Epi Vjr doesn't have anyway to get a crunch tone without adding a pedal in front. The low cost Crates look nice, but I haven't tried one.
so, ad30vt, my siggy
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
I would go for the Crate you posted. It's American voiced and highish wattage, giving you plenty of headroom. And it's tube
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
I own the Vox AD30VT, a fine amp that can give you a nice warm tone,great if you like blues and jazz. The Roland Cube 30X is very good also and a plus is the on board tuner which the Peavy Vyper 30 has also.
I did alot of research and asking questions at some of the local shops and came to the concensous that any of those three would be a great choice. It's pretty much a toss up so go with the one that you like.
Quote by fly135
The Epi Vjr doesn't have anyway to get a crunch tone without adding a pedal in front. The low cost Crates look nice, but I haven't tried one.

You can most definitely get a crunch tone out of one without a pedal, it just may be too loud for bedroom levels, depending on the person, room, etc.

Epiphone Valve Juniors are great amps and if you want to learn more about tube amps they are a great platform to do so in with all the available mods and such.

Also, just letting you that since you are looking for a practice amp, either solid state or tube should not matter that much to you unless you are a tone freak. The people that recommend you checking out he Vox AD series, Roland Cube series, Epi VJ, Blackheart's, and the Crate V series are pointing you in the right direction.

Good luck with the search dude.
Epiphone G-400
Epiphone Valve Junior Half Stack
Fender DG-20CE
Well, I just purchased the Vox AD30VT. Ironic that I don't have a guitar to play on it though! lol. I'm in a middle stage where my new les paul is in the mail and i've already sold my sold strat yesterday!