Heyy. I've been playing guitar for about 3 almost 4 years now.
Heres my question..okay so instead of using a Capo on songs, how do i tune my guitar to a higher pitch or semitone or tone or watever u want to call it??
I have a chromatic tuner but i dont know anything about it except for standard tuning. So as an example..instead of using a Capo on the first fret, what would i need to tune the strings to, and what am i supposed to see on my chromatic tuner to know that im doing it right?
can someone help me out please ?
you probably shouldn't do that as your strings are gonna get really tight. plus, capos were made so that you wouldn't have to do that.
"Bitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks."
- Dr. Dre
from what i've heard, you really don't want to tune up. tune down all you want. if you tune up it could create a whole mess of problems. just buy a capo, if you don't have one. they're not that expensive.
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
Quote by bangoodcharlote
You can make a capo from a pencil and a rubber band if you're really cheap.

that works too

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
you should never tune higher than standard, ever! whats wrong with a capo anyway?
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by xander307
you should never tune higher than standard, ever!
Open E tuning is perfectly reasonable. You should just make sure you use light strings.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
You can make a capo from a pencil and a rubber band if you're really cheap.

Do you have a picture? My imagination isn't creative enough to figure out how that would work.
Quote by BrickIsRed
Do you have a picture? My imagination isn't creative enough to figure out how that would work.

hook one end of the rubber band over an end of the pencil, put it over your guitar, hook the other ends together. done.

Quote by wolvenrick
ok soo.. is there like a specific way of using alternate chords instead of using a capo..like id just looks them up but is there like a system to figuring them out?? does anybody know...?
Quote by musicsinmysoul7
ok soo.. is there like a specific way of using alternate chords instead of using a capo..like id just looks them up but is there like a system to figuring them out?? does anybody know...?

There's no simple answer for what you're asking. A capo generally is your best bet.
Quote by sadistic_monkey
Either use the capo or learn alternative chord shapes.

+1
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
If you're playing chords that only require 3 fingers you could try barring the fret the capo is on and play the chords with you remaining fingers (I can play G, C, D and Dm shaped barre chords this way).

However, the simplest way to play something without a capo is just to learn the transpose the chords.

Quote by musicsinmysoul7

1. Get the chords you are playing relative to the capo (just what chord shapes you are playin)
2. Add on x semitones to the chord, where x is the fret the capo is on, the find out what chords you are actually playing. For example, if you were playing a C shape with a capo on the first fret then the chord is C + 1 semitone = C#
3. Find, if you don't already know, ways to play the chords you have just worked out
4. Play the song!
Last edited by 12345abcd3 at Nov 18, 2008,