Have you guys ever done it? Where did you buy the gear? How much did it cost, and can you find parts on the Internet somewhere other than Warmoth? Any comments are appreciated.
It costs a lot if you dont have the tools or a lumber yard with dry wood near by.

If you actually want to start a build then I suggest you start reading up on the processes now.

I suggest getting this book for a nice insight into building...

Make Your Own Electric Guitar by Melvyn Hiscock

and read the tutorials on this site...

www.projectguitar.com

There is also a ton of information to be found on the project guitar forums using the searchbar.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by mp33
Have you guys ever done it? Where did you buy the gear? How much did it cost, and can you find parts on the Internet somewhere other than Warmoth? Any comments are appreciated.

Yes. We build a lot of guitars.

You buy the gear on the internet or at a local shop. Most of the time, the internet is cheaper.

If you are lucky, you have a lumber yard near by to get wood from. If not, you pay a couple hundred bucks for wood over the internet.

Google guitar parts.

A great guitar should coat like $600 - $900 to build depending on availability of stuff, parts used etc. I mean you could spend a few thousand building a guitar if you want, but to make a guitar with quality equivalent to a top end Fender, Gibson, or Ibanez, you can spend around $600 - $900.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
mighty mite is good

Also try ebay, when I made my first guitar from parts I got everything from there (shipping was a nightmare though, I live in AUS, bought from US )

I built two guitars for $600 using cheap parts, this I don't recommend to anyone, build one guitar and you will have a much better looking, sounding, playing etc guitar.

Good Luck on the search