Yes, the word Hairy is in fact part of my title.

So, basically, I'm wondering what the standard way of achieving a hairy tone is. Talking mids, highs and lows.

For examples refer bands like Killswitch Engage, CoB, Bullet for my Valentine (although not so much)...

Killswitch especially... Are there any outside factors such as pedals that could help me achieve a similar tone? How about pick ups? Neck? Bridge?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Overdrive?
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Ah Damn. I can't watch youtube at work.

If it is a fuzz or overdrive you're after you will need a pedal. I'd recommend to Boss ODB-3. I have one and although I don't use it much any more it is a good pedal and I think it will cover the sound you're after.
Last edited by 24fRETSoFfURY at Nov 17, 2008,
Great, thanks for the reply

Is there any way you could check out the clips and then post back to confirm?
I'd have wait until I get home. I sure someone else will give it a listen and comment before I can though. You can check out some sample clips of overdrive pedals in the mean time. I think there is a link in the faqs or somewhere.
I'll have a quick look.

Edit:
http://www.bassplayer.com/article/overdrives/Dec-06/24670

Have a look and listen here. Also check out post 7 in the faqs. It's all about effects.
Last edited by 24fRETSoFfURY at Nov 17, 2008,
Doesn't, to me, sound like fuzz. Sounds to me like playing brand new strings with a thick pick, combined with an EQ with lots of high at maybe 2 o clock, mid at 3 o clock and low at noon-ish? maybe. idk, my amp is 4-band. For that kind of sound I usually use a lot of low, cut back on low mids, crank high mids and leave highs pretty strong but not too strong.
A little overdrive and a little mid scoop. I didn't realize how terrible Howard is live...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Well, if you want Mike D's overdrive tone, you're ultimately going to need a Mesa Titan V12 and a Mesa 8x10. The overdrive on the Big Block heads is outstanding!
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Yeah, there's no effects on that Bass, maybe just some EQ setting, and played with a pick.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Doesn't sound like anything special is going on there. He's just playing really aggressively with a pick.
Here's Mike's setup....

For recording, he used a Big Block 750 and Mesa 4x12.
Live, he uses the Titan V12, the Mesa 8x10, and sometimes a 4x12.
His bass is an Ibanez SRX signature with super-hot pickups
His picks are Dunlop Tortex 1mm, I believe.

And that's it. Both the BB750 and the Titan amps have built-in overdrive, and that's how he's getting his tone. Also, that SRX signature bass has two ultra-hot humbuckers with only a volume pot standing between them and the output jack, so it's hitting the preamps of the Mesas HARD. He doesn't use any pedals.

EDIT: In those videos, and prior to the making of their last album, he used Ampeg amps, namely SVT5-Pro heads with 810E cabinets. The 5-Pro heads also have built in overdrive, namely a built-in Billy Sheehan preamp. So that's where his drive is coming from prior to his switch to Mesa/Boogie gear. On their first two records prior to Howard coming into the band, he used an SVT3-Pro with an 810E, and a Gibson Thunderbird bass. He didn't use any overdrive, but he made the tone very gainy and clanky with the 3Pro's EQ.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Nov 17, 2008,
Agreed, however, given the fact that I cannot afford the space, nor the money for the Mesas. Do you think it would be possible for me to simulate that sound with the ODB-3 Pedal?
Quote by Captain Insano
Crank the highs, crank the lows, take the mids almost completely out. Add some overdrive.

This will sound cool by yourself, but you will completely disappear live. You'll hear a click, a rumble, and no pitch.

And yes, I would recommend the ODB-3 pedal. I used to own one and it sounded great.
I'll definitely check out the pedal, I hope it can get the job done. I don't need perfection, just something a little harder
mmmm u need quite a lot of high mids, highs, and mids. add bass to ur liking. and crank the overdrive.
whats ur gear btw?
planning on getting a Schecter Hellraiser 4 for Xmas. I'm just playing on a Peavey Max 110 atm.
Quote by mountaindew88
This will sound cool by yourself, but you will completely disappear live. You'll hear a click, a rumble, and no pitch.

And yes, I would recommend the ODB-3 pedal. I used to own one and it sounded great.

Well....You can't really hear their bassist. Don't scoop too much but enough to get some clank.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
On the old records you can hear him just fine, but on the last two, you can't hear him at all!