Okay, first off, I'd like to start off by saying sorry to you all, for making this new thread, but I've had a complete over haul of the project pretty much

So, I've now actually started my build: I have the neck done, the template cut, and over the course of the week I should be getting it cut out, definitely on Saturday if not earlier. I have pics of my neck, template and wood, but am too lazy to post them right now, so it'll be tomorrow

Right, overview: Found a solid wood table in my basement, same thickness as my Squier Bullet, so it'll do. Also found a Strat neck in my grandparents' attic, just the neck.
So, I need: Pickups, pots, knobs, a switch, a neck plate, a bridge, tuners, string retainers, and a jack. Am I missing anything?

What are the differences in a top-mount Strat-type hardtail, a string-though hardtail, a wraparound, and a TOM? I'm thinking the string-through hardtail, just so I can adjust it more if I screw up the scale length be a few millimeters, the can move farther than the others. But, what are all the pros and cons?
And where am I supposed to get wire to connect all the electronics? I know the pickups have some, but what about the rest?
I'm ordering stuff from guitarfetish.com if it matters
Last for now, any neat ideas for colours? But solid colours, it's not a pretty wood

Thanks everyone! Pictures to come soon

Quote by tjfishrocker
Coolcat i want to make love to you right now.

Quote by Natrone

Anyone else see the irony in smashing a guitar that says "peace and love" ?
ok, first: pics or it didn't happen, so no, you have not made the neck found the table etc..

for the rest: your missing the nut on your list
for the bridges: the top mount just means you drill a few holes, and screw the bridge on and string it up. A string through hardtail, is this strat hardtail or TOM hardtail? either way you have to drill holes for the bridge it self and then another 6 holes for the strings. When you string it up the ball end of the string is at the bottom of the guitar, feeds up through the holes over your saddles and to the tuners. A wraparound you just drill 2 holes, the string goes in the end closest to the nut then feed through wraps around the bridge over the small saddles and to the tuners. The TOM you have to drill 4 holes and the string goes in the side of the tailpiece furtherest away from the nut, then feeds through that over the saddles of the bridge and to the tuners.

The 2nd choice will be the easiest to do, although not the most appealing when your looking at it, if your slightly off intonation you can adjust the saddles (the strat hardtail not stringthru )
for looks i'd say the tom or wraparound or even tom string thru:

EDIT: under the pickguard is where all the wires go, all the electronics go in a triangular type cavity and are wired in there for a strat. If the guitar you wanna build has no pickguard you route a cavity (any shape) from the back which goes very close to the top so that the pots can get through to the knobs.
For example, a Les Paul it has a switch up the top and then pickups and knobs all sort of like diagonally down the guitar, LPs usually have a cap so they just have a big line going between all of the cavities, but if your not going to have a cap you get a really long drill bit, drill from the switch to the pickups (though the body so its not visible) then from the pickups to the cavity
Last edited by guitarcam123 at Nov 18, 2008,
MOAR PICS REQUIIIRD

Also, I really like the fact that you're building it out of a random table you found. I don't know why, but the idea of "Hey, THAT could be a GUITAR!" is very appealing to me, and reminds me of how Brian May's guitar came into being.
Quote by guitarcam123
ok, first: pics or it didn't happen, so no, you have not made the neck found the table etc..

for the rest: your missing the nut on your list
for the bridges: the top mount just means you drill a few holes, and screw the bridge on and string it up. A string through hardtail, is this strat hardtail or TOM hardtail? either way you have to drill holes for the bridge it self and then another 6 holes for the strings. When you string it up the ball end of the string is at the bottom of the guitar, feeds up through the holes over your saddles and to the tuners. A wraparound you just drill 2 holes, the string goes in the end closest to the nut then feed through wraps around the bridge over the small saddles and to the tuners. The TOM you have to drill 4 holes and the string goes in the side of the tailpiece furtherest away from the nut, then feeds through that over the saddles of the bridge and to the tuners.

The 2nd choice will be the easiest to do, although not the most appealing when your looking at it, if your slightly off intonation you can adjust the saddles (the strat hardtail not stringthru )
for looks i'd say the tom or wraparound or even tom string thru:

EDIT: under the pickguard is where all the wires go, all the electronics go in a triangular type cavity and are wired in there for a strat. If the guitar you wanna build has no pickguard you route a cavity (any shape) from the back which goes very close to the top so that the pots can get through to the knobs.
For example, a Les Paul it has a switch up the top and then pickups and knobs all sort of like diagonally down the guitar, LPs usually have a cap so they just have a big line going between all of the cavities, but if your not going to have a cap you get a really long drill bit, drill from the switch to the pickups (though the body so its not visible) then from the pickups to the cavity

Haha, thanks for reminding me about the nut, that'd have been heartbreaking, to put it all together but then wait for a nut XD
And I'm not doing that under-pickguard type wiring, I'm not sure if I'm even doing a pickgaurd, I'm doing rear routing
And it's a Strat-type string-thru hardtail, I was already leaning towards that, so thanks for the second opinion

Quote by lumberjack
MOAR PICS REQUIIIRD

Also, I really like the fact that you're building it out of a random table you found. I don't know why, but the idea of "Hey, THAT could be a GUITAR!" is very appealing to me, and reminds me of how Brian May's guitar came into being.

That was actually a big thing for me. I remember seeing a year or two ago that he had made one partially out of an old fireplace, so I figured a table would work just fine. Of course, I'm thinking this won't be anywhere near amazing as the Red Special, but I'm gonna try
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

my god... that ESP is seks.

coolcat... PM me i can get you discounts on all the parts you need .

how far are you from schaumburg? i travel there a lot for work
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Right, pic time
All I have now is my 'remodeled' neck, the table, and my template, but I'll post pics of the body once I get it cut

Table, it has some sort of laminate, but I'm just gonna sand that off

Other side of the table, it's a hardwood of some sort, and well over 100 lbs, and the grain isn't really exactly all too pretty

Neck: Typical Strat neck, 21 frets, 25 1/2 scale, all that fun stuff, that I decided to sand down, stain, colour in with sharpies, and the refinish with about a bajillion coats of a satin lacquer

Then, I decided I didn't like the overused headstock design, so I reshaped it, just a little

And, the template... I tried to make it unique... Or mostly just a double-cutaway, NOT a super-strat, there are WAY TOO MANY of those. It's cut from some old paneling I had lying around, so it was difficult to work with and started to peel apart at the edges, hence the tape around it... And I've used my epic MSPaint skills to set out things- Black being where the bridge will be, grey the neck pocket, brown the pickups, red the toggle switch, green the jack (it'll come out the side/bottom there), blue for the volume and tone knobs, and light blue for a second tome knob I may use

Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

Quote by Øttər
That shape is terrible...

Well aren't you just the little party pooper?

Though, the more I look at it, the more I want to extend the top and bottom out more, make it more like a Les Paul Junior or any of those more symmetrical double-cutaways, and round out the back end a bit
EDIT: Or maybe take in the cutaways a bit more, make it look nicer and give extra access to those higher frets
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

Last edited by Coolcat13 at Nov 18, 2008,