To be blunt...

What exactly does the () in this mean, and how do I do it?

E|--------------------------------------|
B|--------------------------------------|
G|------------------------2(4)2-0h2p0---|
D|------------------------------------2-|
A|----10b----------10b------------------|
E|-0------0--0-0-0-----0----------------|
Quote by Nomack
Next hendrix is like a a sidesplitting triumph of slapstick and scatology, a runaway moneymaker and budding franchise, the worst thing to happen to Kazakhstan since the Mongol hordes, and, a communist.

This is my sig!
It depends on the tab legend but usualy it means its an optional or ghost note.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
It would probably mean bend it up to sound like that fret in this case.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Quote by alkalineweeman
It depends on the tab legend but usualy it means its an optional or ghost note.

Really? I always thought it was a whole note
^no.

its a ghost note. It means that the not is barely there. it looks like you would play the second fret once, play the fourth fret and very quickly (as soon as you hit it) slide back down to the second fret.
Sig What?
I agree on it being a bass note. It's def not a bend, because you can see in the beginning they are using "b" to indicate bend.
Honestly dude, I think it's just a hammer-on and then a pull-off. Ive seen this a bunch of times in some tabs. Yes usually it's a ghost note, but because it goes 2(4)and then back to 2, i would really guess that it's a hammer on. It looks like it's moving with a little bit of pace there so I would try hammer on and pull off and see how that sounds
"I'm not saying I'm right... but you're all wrong!"
If it is a ghost note, you do that by using your volume knob on your guitar. You would play the 2ndfret note at normal volume and then drop your volume to 0 and then fret the 4th fret hit the note and swell the volume knob up to the desired level.
I think it's a bend that hints at the note in the parentheses and then brings it back down
Quote by realiztik
If it is a ghost note, you do that by using your volume knob on your guitar. You would play the 2ndfret note at normal volume and then drop your volume to 0 and then fret the 4th fret hit the note and swell the volume knob up to the desired level.

Not necessarily, usually swells are indicated above or below the tab.

Ghost notes are more or less "groove notes". They're what the original dude played but it was more of an improvisition thing and not part of the main theme. Or they are added by the tabber, but not part of the actual song.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by darth awsome
^no.

its a ghost note. It means that the not is barely there. it looks like you would play the second fret once, play the fourth fret and very quickly (as soon as you hit it) slide back down to the second fret.

yup. you can either play it or leave it. it doesn't make much difference. but it may also mean sth else so it's better if you refer to legend (if there is any). and sometimes the tabber puts it for lil improvisation.
Quote by MESAexplorer
Not necessarily, usually swells are indicated above or below the tab.

Ghost notes are more or less "groove notes". They're what the original dude played but it was more of an improvisition thing and not part of the main theme. Or they are added by the tabber, but not part of the actual song.

+1

chances are the tab is copied from a tab book which was an exact transcription which means they'll have notated every last nuance, if a player didn't quite hit a note properly, either on purpose or by accident, then it'll be notated as a ghost note.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
from what the other guys have said, it sounds a lot like a grace note...

i'm new here, first post, pleased to meet y'all.

is there a difference between grace notes and ghost notes?
Quote by realiztik
Honestly dude, I think it's just a hammer-on and then a pull-off. Ive seen this a bunch of times in some tabs. Yes usually it's a ghost note, but because it goes 2(4)and then back to 2, i would really guess that it's a hammer on. It looks like it's moving with a little bit of pace there so I would try hammer on and pull off and see how that sounds

you can get notes like this though...

----4---(4)---2----
yo.

I BELIEVE
Alright, I went back through a bunch of tabs that I have and I have seen this four times. As a ghost note, as a hammer on, as a bend and also as a quiet note or as stated above as a groove note. If it is from an "exact transcription" and then posted on here, then I will agree with the guys above, it should be a groove note, hit it if you want, if you don't the song wont sound bad without it. Either way it's good to see good players posting on here!
This is why tab is the plague, no one knows what anything means for definate.

In notation brackets mean the note within is sounded but isn't picked, it's usually there to denote a note which has been played previously being held, it's an easier way of showing how long a note is held for than having a bunch of dots after a note or if other notes played at the same time ar eheld for different lengths. Tidies up the score.
Domine Non Es Dignus
Look at the "Welcome to the Jungle" powertab from UG, it has the delay or ecco for the intro as:
--------------------------------------------------------------
---(0)--------(0)-------(0)--------(0)--------(0)-----(0)--
4------4---2-----2-------------------------------------------
-----------------------4-----4---2------2---0---------------
------------------------------------------------------2--------
---------------------------------------------------------------

Pleas tell me how this is meant to be played, especially the (0) (i know Slash uses a delay pedal for the start, is this just the delay effect???)
Last edited by harry_jacko at Nov 26, 2008,
nah...it's being picked slightly...its a ghost note.

i love playing the intro to that, helps ya get a good picking rhythm.
yo.

I BELIEVE