Page 3 of 235
Quote by MetalMessiah665
The thing I love about Mortician is that they're the epitome of stupid brutality (I mean this in the absolute best way possible) I mean, retardedly fast blast beats, guitars tuned down to G, bass so distorted it sounds like farts, really low monotone growls, 2 minute long songs where half of the song is an insanely cheesy slasher movie sample. That said, they're one of the most fun bands to listen to.

Exactly, one of my favorite brutal death/grind bands, second only to Suffocation.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Yep, they sure know how to make great Brutal Death Metal.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Speaking of Suffocation, LAAAAWWWWL at the amount of ****ty myspace clones that try to replicate Effigies.
I've found Jesus
Yeah, it's hilarious how badly most of them fail at imitating that album (it's pretty sad when you fail at being a clone band) seeing as more of them seem to draw more influence from waking the cadaver than Suffocation.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by MetalMessiah665
Yeah, it's hilarious how badly most of them fail at imitating that album (it's pretty sad when you fail at being a clone band) seeing as more of them seem to draw more influence from waking the cadaver than Suffocation.

Yo Dissin Wakkin Teh Cadaver?

Sorry..

I've noticed the same trend of crappy DM bands appearing.. I really hope my band won't fall into the same category, though I doubt it, with the healthy dose of Gorguts influence we have
Quote by destroy_techno
Yo Dissin Wakkin Teh Cadaver?

Sorry..

I've noticed the same trend of crappy DM bands appearing.. I really hope my band won't fall into the same category, though I doubt it, with the healthy dose of Gorguts influence we have

Nice.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Whenever I attempt at writing BDM, I always end up sounding like a Suffocation clone fellating PFW.

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by mortiis999
My thoughts exactly, however i think it is more about posing and scoring (pointless) e - points.

If I said "early Death" it would sound elitist anyway. I think Mantas' demo is essential listening to any old school death metal fan.
Nile, At The Gates, Black Dahlia Murder, Necrophagist (sp?)

and, if it would be considered Death Metal, Arch Enemy
Quote by MetalMessiah665
I prefer real Death Metal (old school) and an astounding amount of those myspace "death metal" bands are ****ty wannabe "brutal" death metal made by scene kids who heard their first Cannibal Corpse album last week.

i know what you mean
i only mentioned myspace because its a good way of finding new music
but your right about the faggot bands.
but theres some good things on there too

do you guys count melodic death metal, like archenemy, inflames, amon amarth and these ilk of mainstream melodic bands death metal?
Quote by Black-Metal

do you guys count melodic death metal, like archenemy, inflames, amon amarth and these ilk of mainstream melodic bands death metal?

I do, but some people won't.

Quote by eggsandham2
i usually consider it a totally separate genre, as often the vocals are the only thing they have in common with death metal

there are obvious connections, but when someone just mentions "death metal" i usually think old-school/brutal/etc. first

edit: but the fact that they're mainstream has nothing to do with my opinion of it; while a lot of melodeath is crap, i still really like the big 3, Insomnium, Kalmah, CoB, Godgory, Skyfire, Wintersun, etc.
Last edited by dminishedthingy at Nov 18, 2008,
Sorry to bring Mortician up again, but, does anyone else find the intro to 'Wolfen' insanely hilarious "I think somethin' out there might be eatin' people." *insane brutality starts*.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
What's the general consensus here on Necrovore's 'Divus De Mortuus'? I downloaded it a bit back due to a rec but was put off at first by the production. I've been listening to it recently, though, and it's growing on me.
Simply incredible album, when I first heard it I didn't really like it either, but by the second listen it began to grow on me. Shame they never released anything else.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Aren't they planning on releasing new stuff? At least that's what it says on good ole MA.
I think they've been "planning" since the early '90s. In an interview with Profanatica from '92, Paul Ledney cited Necrovore as a huge influence and mentioned that they recently got back together and were gonna release new stuff. I don't know, maybe they broke up soon after that, then recently reformed and are planning on releasing new stuff. I know they still play shows (Rebeltildeth, you lucky bastard! ) but I don't know if they're doing much else.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Yep, sadly Blasphemy is one of those too.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Predictable as it is, Morbid Angel(minus about half of Domination)
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Maybe a bit off topic, but I just lost my metal concert virginity today.
Prepare for big overenthusiastic review of a tiny concert from the viewpoint of a 14 asian kid:

Alrighty, so me and my metalhead friend (basically, we're the only metalheads in our grade =( ) heard about this concert thingie held at a nearby community centre for local bands, and it was themed mostly on extreme music. Almost every extreme metal band that comes here have to play in over 18 venues, so we jumped at the chance. We kinda missed the first few bands, but at first, we saw this jazzy indie rock band. Not bad, but kinda weird for a metal concert. Then, there was this really sludgy hardcore band with a high and drunk singer. Their sound was mostly based around switching from dense sounding, strummed power chords to clean breaks, and very drunk-sounding, off-tune, screamed vocals. It was awesome to mosh to for a while (though I got the wind knocked out of me and I think somebody destroyed my left kneecap), but their music got SO repetetive after a while. They played for an hour, though they played the musical variety of maybe one song. But it was first time going crazy in a big mosh crowd, which was a pretty new experience. When the band ended, the singer kinda drunkenly waddled around, and hugged me for around 2 minutes, which was a bit strange.

Around this time, this skinny guy in a misfits shirt spilled water all over this big death metal guy. The big guy goes nuts, going "WHAT THE **** WAS THAT", and goes off. He comes back with a slurpee cup, and spills it all over the Misfits guy. The mifits shirt guy kinda shrugged it off (knowing the other guy was twice as big as him ), but the big guy wants a fight. They both got kicked out, though. Dunno, just kind of cool to watch.

Alright, so for the highlight of my whole experience, this technical death metal band from another city is gearing up to play. Me and my friend talk to these guys (Masquerade of Silence, cool guys, check 'em out: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=130353276 ), and they were talking about how ****ty that hardcore band was (Kinda funny to see the whole metal vs hardcore thing in real life XD ), and they started kinda warming up. Unfortunately, by the time they came on, half the audience left. When they were playing though, it just blew my mind. The shredding was phenomenal, the vocals were perfect, and the energy the musicians gave off was just incredible.

So yeah. I might've sounded like some ditzy dumb blonde schoolgirl, but honestly, this concert just inspired me so much. Death metal for life!
Death, Nile, and Necrophagist are some of my favorite bands. Any recomendations based on that?

Im more into tech death than brutal.
Cynic
Atheist
Spawn of Possession
Coroner (Technical Thrash, but good nonetheless)
Disgorge (sort of technical rhythms, but brutal as fuck and awesome)
Hate Eternal (Brutal)
Cannibal Corpse (From Gore Obsessed onwards is technical)

Quote by eggsandham2
Wow, nobody likes Malignancy? that's ****ed up. Check out they're newest album Inhuman Grotesqueries, it'll blow your ****in mind. Other than that: Orchidectomy, Lapidate, Guttural Secrete, Cumgun, Inhuman Dissiliensy (drum machine), Syphillic (1 guy), Fecalized Twat.
So newer Cannibal Corpse is techincal? Hmmmmmm, I'll have to check that out, I haven't listened past The Wretched Spawn.
Glance into my eyes
and see the darkest shadows dancing
Playing in the desert of my life
Burning, -
and my soul is descending...

Kill and The Wretched Spawn are both borderline tech death.

Quote by eggsandham2
As far as death metal goes, I love above all else...
Morbid Angel

Then...
Cannibal Corpse, Nile, Hate Eternal, Acheron, Behemoth, Blood Duster, Blood Red Throne, Bolt Thrower, Broken Hope, Carcass, Cephalic Carnage, Cryptopsy (only with Lord Worm), Dead Beyond Buried, Deicide, Dying Fetus, Fear of God, Jungle Rot, Malevolent Creation, Malignancy, Mortician, Mucopus, Napalm Death, Obituary, Sepultura, Six Feet Under, Skinless, Suffocation, Vader and Wolfen Society.
Yeah, not the neoclassical or ridiculously jazzy types, more like...

Early Cryptopsy but with slightly more dissonant chord shapes and a better vocalist.

Quote by eggsandham2
It's the only tech death I can continually listen to aside from Necrophagist.

Quote by eggsandham2
So wait, there's such a thing as tech-death without the sweeps and wank?

No.
Effin.
WAI!

Anyways, since we're already on topic of Cannibal Corpse, I'd love to hear more songs by them that sound like "Murder Worship" or "Time to Kills is Now," though all of Kill was and still is amazing.
I want to hear more songs like "Submerged In Boiling Flesh"

Y'know, break your neck style mosh riffs.

Quote by eggsandham2
My favorite Cannibal Corpse song is "The Pick Axe Murders". The riffs are crushing, the drums are intense, and Barnes does those awesome weird shriek/rasp things.
Glance into my eyes
and see the darkest shadows dancing
Playing in the desert of my life
Burning, -
and my soul is descending...

I had an obsession with "Striped, Raped, and Strangled" not to long ago haha.
I listened to it like 15 times a day, learned all the lyrics, growled it just about everywhere I went, and even went as far as to screen print a CC shirt with the lyrics on the back. I don't know why, but I've also kind of liked the Chris Barnes stuff more than the newer stuff. I still find the new stuff amazing though.
Death
Morbid Angel
Deicide
Sanity in Death
Hate Eternal
Behemoth
Napalm Death
Decapitated
Necrophagist
Gorguts
Vader
Nile
Coprofago
Sepultura
Soulfly
Cavalera Conspiracy
Obituary
Possessed
Vehemence
Carcass
Entombed
At the Gates
Dismember
Hypocrisy
Bolt Thrower
Pungent Stench
Unleashed
Arch Enemy
Six Feet Under
Confessor
Defleshed
Malevolent Creation
Sarcofago
The Haunted
Benediction
Soilent Green
Terrorizer
Angel Corpse
Autopsy
Cephalic Carnage
Winds of Plague
Daath
Amon Amarth
Amorphis
Animosity
Nocturnus
Vital Remains

Some of them aren't death-death metal (Soulfly, Cavalera Conspiracy, Sepultura), and I don't have all of them because the list constantly increases, but still, they're a bunch of metal bands I like.
"If an injury need to be done to a man, it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."
- Niccolo Machiavelli
Last edited by Legion355 at Feb 22, 2009,
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Kill and The Wretched Spawn are both borderline tech death.

+1 its like techinical brutal death

do you guys class cynic as death metal?
or a variation there of (prog death or something)
i wouldnt have.
First page ITT:
"I like death metal"
"YOU LIKE BULLSHIT POSER CORE FROM BEYOND THE 7TH CIRCLE OF FAILHELL!"
"Yeah!"
"Damn straight!"
"You go girl!"
-gap of a few minutes-
"I like death metal"
Repeat.
Last edited by Magero at Nov 25, 2008,
Quote by Black-Metal
+1 its like techinical brutal death

do you guys class cynic as death metal?
or a variation there of (prog death or something)
i wouldnt have.

No, I don't. Cynic is a great band, but I don't think they are death metal.
Quote by mexicanmidget88
metalcore is metal, just with more brutality

Quote by Guns 'N' Maiden

Brandon Small Is An Amazing Guitarist and Glen Benton Is One Of The Best Drummers I've Ever Seen

R.I.P. George Carlin

May 12, 1937 - June 22, 2008