My dad wants me to teach him how to play the guitar.

I have an old amp I dont use that I can give him (Fender Frontman 25r), and and I can also give him my old Ibanez GRX20Z when I get my MIM Tele for Christmas.

One problem. He is a lefty and I'm a righty.
What I was thinking of doing was flipping the nut on my guitar around and stringing it backwards (Ala Jimi Hendrix).

How would I go about doing this?
Should I just have my guitar teacher flip the nut for me?
Where should I start when I teach him? (I know the basic Smoke on the Water, Iron man, etc. riffs, and how to use a pick, but after that).

I'll probably have more questions when I think of them.
?!
The basics would be show him some chords first and start with the theory.

Show him the notes on the fretboard, show him chords in each position, show him the box patterns, scales etc...

Don't forget to charge him 20 an hour.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
The basics would be show him some chords first and start with the theory.

Show him the notes on the fretboard, show him chords in each position, show him the box patterns, scales etc...

Don't forget to charge him 20 an hour.

He's paying for my guitar lessons, so it sort of balances out.
?!
Quote by grenade24
He's paying for my guitar lessons, so it sort of balances out.

Well then...

Hopefully you can know when bad habits in technique form so you can correct them prior. Show him proper technique as well. Proper picking technique, proper fretting technique and hand positions etc...
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
You could always just have him play the guitar right handed... Chances are he's going to be like everyone else and have stupid fingers in the beginning anyways. I'm sure just having him play right handed would only be slightly harder for him to learn then playing with his left.
I would just teach him righty instead of lefty, since you are starting from scratch
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
tell him i said welcome to the world of real men(guitarists if it wasnt implied)
fight the power... with peace

Originally Posted by Cockpuncher 2.0
Fail town, population you

When God said "Let there be light", Joey Jordison said "Say please".

Man is a universe within himself
Bob Marley
Pox!
Quote by stratsrule1990
tell him i said welcome to the world of real men(guitarists if it wasnt implied)

More like, 'Welcome to the world of insecure teenagers who think they can get chicks if they pick up guitar'.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
No, when you make a lefty play righty, it slows them down considerably, especially if it's an adult.
You can do it to a child, they can adapt because they're in their learning mode.
But don't make him play righty.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
More like, 'Welcome to the world of insecure teenagers who think they can get chicks if they pick up guitar'.

atleast we're proud
fight the power... with peace

Originally Posted by Cockpuncher 2.0
Fail town, population you

When God said "Let there be light", Joey Jordison said "Say please".

Man is a universe within himself
Bob Marley
Pox!
Quote by sixstringdfreak
You could always just have him play the guitar right handed... Chances are he's going to be like everyone else and have stupid fingers in the beginning anyways. I'm sure just having him play right handed would only be slightly harder for him to learn then playing with his left.

He actually tried my guitar holding it both righty and lefty and said it was a million times more comfortable playing lefty.

And he wont buy his own lefty guitar.
?!
it depends on the gender of your guitar teacher
Quote by Nakon14

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Crate GTD65
Vox DA5
Quote by -Collapse-
No, when you make a lefty play righty, it slows them down considerably, especially if it's an adult.
You can do it to a child, they can adapt because they're in their learning mode.

but it saves them the pains of buyin left handed guitars n watching videos of all right handed players
Quote by Jammin'
it depends on the gender of your guitar teacher

Wait, what???!!!?!?!?!?!
?!
wouldn't the difference and amount of different choices in guitar available to those who play righty guitar make it worthwhile to learn to play righty, especially when starting from nothing?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

man thats gonna get sigged...
Myspace.

Quote by djmay71
it wasn't 7 days, it was 5.

and you call yourself the son of catholics

Quote by hugh20
I would keep it on my mantel piece and tell my grandchildren about the day I tried to overthrow the human race with my race of tree-men.
Quote by -Collapse-

I'm going to have to disagree, sure the argument about teaching old dogs new tricks is valid in terms of dominant hands... But both fretting notes and picking the strings is going to be awkward and difficult for him no matter what hand does it.

I would agree that it might be a bit of a slightly difficult hump to get over in the beginning but I think if he did, it would be well worth it.

If he refuses to learn right handed then I would just have him learn jimi hendrix style so no modification needs to be done to your guitar and on top of that if he develops an interest in the instrument then he won't be screwed into a very limited scope of choices that is the world of left-handed instruments(or anything...).
Quote by Jeff123
wouldn't the difference and amount of different choices in guitar available to those who play righty guitar make it worthwhile to learn to play righty, especially when starting from nothing?

no.

if you were lefty you'd understand.

just flipping the nut isnt going to do it. you'll end up with buzz unless you shim the nut too, so instead try and buy a lefty nut for that style guitar.

^cant just turn a guitar over. and he's an adult, if he learns to play, im sure he'll buy a lefty guitar.

and it's more than old dogs new tricks.
learning at all is hard, learning when older is harder. learning when older and off handed might just be enough to make anyone quit.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Nov 17, 2008,
Quote by guitarheroII
man thats gonna get sigged...

You sure told me man.

Not sure how flipping the nut would really work. You'll have to get the guitar set up for lefty configuration.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
^with a strat, you have to make room for the fat strings in the thin spots.

that's the pain in the ass part.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
no.

just flipping the nut isnt going to do it. you'll end up with buzz unless you shim the nut too, so instead try and buy a lefty nut for that style guitar.

^cant just turn a guitar over. and he's an adult, if he learns to play, im sure he'll buy a lefty guitar.

and it's more than old dogs new tricks.
learning at all is hard, learning when older is harder. learning when older and off handed might just be enough to make anyone quit.

So could I just buy a lefty nut off of Musiciansfriend.com?
Or should I just get a professional to do it?
?!
Quote by jj1565
^with a strat, you have to make room for the fat strings in the thin spots.

that's the pain in the ass part.

Sounds like too much work for me.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
He should just buy a lefty guitar. maybe this would be good...
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by jj1565
no.

it's more than old dogs new tricks.

If that's really the case then so be it, though I still wholeheartedly disagree. But that doesn't address the argument about playing jimi style, which I think is still a much better option then trying to deal with all of this pain-causing modification.

Just have him flip your guitar to play it left handed with the high e as the string closest to his chest. This wouldn't be anymore difficult for him to learn since he's starting from scratch.
you realize jimi hendrix had normal strings....it was albert king i believe? who played completely upside down. Jimi definately flipped the nut.
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
Problem about switching the nut is the bridge still has big grooves where you're going to put the small strings and small grooves where you're going to put the big strings.

It's going to buzz like a bitch at the bridge.
Quote by sixstringdfreak
If that's really the case then so be it, though I still wholeheartedly disagree. But that doesn't address the argument about playing jimi style, which I think is still a much better option then trying to deal with all of this pain-causing modification.

Just have him flip your guitar to play it left handed with the high e as the string closest to his chest. This wouldn't be anymore difficult for him to learn since he's starting from scratch.

good grief.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by -Collapse-
Problem about switching the nut is the bridge still has big grooves where you're going to put the small strings and small grooves where you're going to put the big strings.

It's going to buzz like a bitch at the bridge.

it's strat style, saddles can be moved. but it wouldnt be necessary anyway.

intonation, flipping/shimming or swapping the nut.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Nov 18, 2008,
I'm left handed and I play a right handed guitar.

For me, it allways made sense, since I'm much more dexterous in my left hand, and that's the hand that does all the intricate stuff, fretting notes and that - You just have to move your right hand across the right strings. I think it's all you right handed folk that have the disadvantage!

That's just my preferance - I'm not supporting getting your dad to play right handed atall. In fact I think you should defo string it upside down instead. Or maybe just part exchange it in a shop for an entry level left handed guitar?

I think you should definatly teach him the minor pentatonic, and ask him what songs He wants to play - That's the best way to learn I think.
Quote by sixstringdfreak

I swear I'd been told that by a couple of different people, but that's what I get for believing them and not checking for my self... guess I'm the asshole.
...is that the primary ingredient is something called "olean" which I have since learned is Latin for "Unwashable & Indestructible Ass Grease."
Quote by sixstringdfreak

im a righty for most things, but i do some stuff lefty, and before i got my first like real guitar and did lessons, when i taught my self E minor and D chords i played lefty, but then i took lessons and got my real guitar and started playing righty and im fine now so, just have him play righty, it will be weird for maybe a week then hell get used to it
Quote by grenade24
Wait, what???!!!?!?!?!?!

"Should I just have my guitar teacher flip the nut for me?"

My response was to that.
Quote by Nakon14

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Crate GTD65
Vox DA5
i bet that once he learns smoke on the water and iron man he'll feel like a pro and go out and get a mesa boogie or a marshall jvm
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
At least if he plays lefty when he sits across from you it will be like looking in a mirror for finger pacement and thus maybe easier for him to learn.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
Quote by devit
i bet that once he learns smoke on the water and iron man he'll feel like a pro and go out and get a mesa boogie or a marshall jvm

all wrong all wrong he will get tricked by the marshall name and buy a STACK(a mg stack that is)
Fender Telecaster
Squire Vintage Modified '70s bass