Alright, here's the deal.

I have a Hot Rod Deluxe and the matching extension cab. I also have an MT-2, distortion knob turned to next to nothing, and an OD-3 that's just too tinny for practical use. Overall, I have a whole lot of terrible overdrive/distortion going on and I want something good.

I play a lot of different music from folk and pop punk to the fringes of metalcore, but I'm mainly in hardcore bands with kind of a Paint it Black/The Carrier/Casey Jones/Champion/H20/etc. sound, so I'm not looking for dark, br00tal distortion.

Basically what I want is something with a lot of clarity that'll give me a tight low end for palm muted verses and the odd pseudo-breakdown. I'm really looking towards tube driven pedals, but I'd be open to SS as well. Price isn't really an issue, I've got a savings account for a reason. (Tuition and car insurance )

tl;dr.. I'm looking for a good distortion pedal, preferably tube, clear with tight low end, money isn't too big an issue.

hug your local pug dealer!
pff, not happening. thanks though! haha
get an ehx metal muff. pretty much good for anything. i've only played one through a peavey classic 50, but on a demo video i watched the guitarist played it through a fender twin and it sounded pretty good.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

SOUND MASON σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Pickups for sale!
^ that's what i'd say as well.

but who the hell has a HRD and wants to palm mute?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Before you get anything, put your HRD's drive channel with the drive at about 1.5, then put your OD3 over it. That's how I run mine with my TS9 and it sounds a hell of a lot better than running it over the clean channel.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
Quote by xwearesinking
but who the hell has a HRD and wants to palm mute?

This guy! ->

haha

I really appreciate the input though, thanks to everyone who's replied so far!
Boss MD-2, has that low-end boost you're looking for, but isn't uber br00talz either
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
I'd nearly suggest looking for some mod for your amp to go with the OD/Distortion pedal you're going to buy. That amp is perfect for the opposite of what you play.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Omega amps do mods to HRD's that sound great, check em out.

omegaamps.com
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
Well I use it plenty for it's more.. intended genres, but I don't have the space/budget/need to keep two amps around. I figure I've made it work for a couple of years already, why not keep going?
Check youtube for soundclips of Wampler and Skreddy pedals.they make several that should be interesting for you.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
From your description, I doubt transparent overdrive will get you the sound you're going for. Definitely a colored overdrive, but more likely a regular hard-clipping distortion pedal would be the way to go. By the way, just because it doesn't have tubes doesn't make a pedal a digital distortion.

My Suggestions:
Subdecay Stupid Box has plenty of bass and mids. Very unique pedal among the sea of clones out there.
Maxon SD-9 has lots of versatility. Maxon makes some nice stuff.
Subdecay Blackstar is more metal, but you can definitely go hardcore with it.

But if you want a straight-up overdrive pedal, HighwayToHell made some great some suggestions.
Last edited by FlyingBeerman at Nov 18, 2008,
Quote by Highwaytohell
Sell your HRD and get an amp which can handle that kind of distortion
No pedal will help you there man.

agreed
my hotrod fails in the gain department..yet its called a "hotrod"

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock