hello everybody, I started "jamming" with some of my friends over the summer, but due to our schedules we've only gotten to play together 3 times... the first two jam sessions turned into nothing but messing about, ultimately realizing that we all stink at playing. My friends have been playing guitar for about 2 years(not very serious for either of them ), I've been playing bass for about 1 yr (with lessons). Tonight, we got together for about 4 hours and learned smells like teen spirit, and fortunate son, but it was very difficult.

any suggestions on what we could learn? we're open to almost anything to start off with, but as a group we favor Metallica the most or blues stuff.

thanks for your help...
trapped under ice is an extremely fun song.

I can't stop jumping and headbanging while playing the solo.
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Smells Like Teen Spirit? Difficult?

First song I learned...it took 2 days.

I mean no offense, I've been playing seriously for 2 years, but don't know a wink of theory.
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
Quote by YourDad
Smells Like Teen Spirit? Difficult?

First song I learned...it took 2 days.

I learned it by ear and I could play it by the time the song was over.
/bragging

MC name = Bearrorism
knocking on heavens door - guns and roses version is a good one, easy structure, easy song.

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']Just give up, because Callo just destroyed you.
Quote by daytripper75
if i am not pooping, i stand to pee. if i am pooping, it makes more sense to just sit down in the first place.

CALLO

For Whom the Bell Tolls! Pretty much all of Kill 'em All, Cyanide, Enter Sandman, Creeping Death....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
enter sandman, highway to hell, walk this way, bombtrack, so many awesome songs that u can cover
It took me about.. maybe 1 minute to completely perfect that song?

Seriously..

There's only like 4 parts on it for guitar..

The main riff.. which is the intro/ chorus.. the verse (omg 2 notes).. maybe there's a pre-chorus actually.. I don't remember but it was just as easy.. and there's that bridge thing or the post-chorus.. hell if I can remember.. and the easiest solo ever.

and it was very difficult for you guys?
and you've only been playing for that long?

lmao.

that's like this dude I know who has been playing for about 4 years and can play nothing but 5ths.
Quote by BladeSlinger
For Whom the Bell Tolls! Pretty much all of Kill 'em All, Cyanide, Enter Sandman, Creeping Death....

If Smells Like Teen Spirit and Fortunate Son where tough to learn, these songs are a bit out of your league at this time, maybe later.
Focus on songs you really like that are around 3 minutes long and that are not that complicated. It's the fact that you like them that helps best, always play what you like!
If you dig Green Day, they have alot of very easy songs, same for most pop puck and punk bands. Don't try to be Rush over night, give it time, you'll get better!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by BladeSlinger

he said they struggled through smells like teen spirit....maybe you can try planning enter sandman and for whom the bell tolls without the solo, but id start even simpler....maybe bad moon rising by ccr, feel like making love by bad company
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
I'd suggest a song.. but you see.

Smells Like Teen Spirit is about as easy as it gets.

try Linkin Park lmao..

especially their older stuff..

extremely simple.

or one of those bands that barely focus on guitars and mainly use them as instruments to back the singer up.. like those little pop bands like Metro Station.

lol..
thanks, smells like teen spirit was difficult for one of the guitarists... I made a bass line for it as we went along no problem and the other guitarist had no problem at all after quickly looking up the chords... I'm guessing the fact that he almost never plays has something to do with our difficulty.

thanks for all your help so far!
Quote by nemjeff13
he said they struggled through smells like teen spirit....maybe you can try planning enter sandman and for whom the bell tolls without the solo, but id start even simpler....maybe bad moon rising by ccr, feel like making love by bad company

SHE! thank you.
Quote by WholeLottaLovin
thanks, smells like teen spirit was difficult for one of the guitarists... I made a bass line for it as we went along no problem and the other guitarist had no problem at all after quickly looking up the chords... I'm guessing the fact that he almost never plays has something to do with our difficulty.

thanks for all your help so far!

Yeah, you gotta stay on top of music if you wanna get good. Try to friendly convince him to practice more, when he gets better, hopefully he will see that it's work that got him there and he'll try even harder! Trust me mate, I've been at this for decades, you gotta keep on moving! If you did manage Smells Like Teen Spirit, I've got a great song for you that is only slightly harder to learn, but always gets the crowd wild! "Livin' After Midnight" by Judas Priest! Great party song, quite simply yet really fun to play! Have at that one, you'll love it!
I've been jamming a lot of rancid lately, time bomb, Nhilism. Maybe some Weezer? pretty easy Buddy Holly or Creep by Radiohead is pretty easy
Quote by Stingray5
I've been jamming a lot of rancid lately, time bomb, Nhilism. Maybe some Weezer? pretty easy Buddy Holly or Creep by Radiohead is pretty easy

All of these are great suggestions if the band digs them!
+1
Quote by ValoRhoads
Yeah, you gotta stay on top of music if you wanna get good. Try to friendly convince him to practice more, when he gets better, hopefully he will see that it's work that got him there and he'll try even harder! Trust me mate, I've been at this for decades, you gotta keep on moving! If you did manage Smells Like Teen Spirit, I've got a great song for you that is only slightly harder to learn, but always gets the crowd wild! "Livin' After Midnight" by Judas Priest! Great party song, quite simply yet really fun to play! Have at that one, you'll love it!

Yes, we're trying to convince him to practice more. He actually ASKED us to learn livin after midnight back at our first "jam", I learned the bass line that night but haven't heard from him about that song since. maybe that will be the topic of our next jam... if he feels like hes doing good, he'll want to keep learning, right? (the only other guitarists he plays with is really good and has been playing seriously for years)

thanks for your help!
Quote by WholeLottaLovin
Yes, we're trying to convince him to practice more. He actually ASKED us to learn livin after midnight back at our first "jam", I learned the bass line that night but haven't heard from him about that song since. maybe that will be the topic of our next jam... if he feels like hes doing good, he'll want to keep learning, right? (the only other guitarists he plays with is really good and has been playing seriously for years)

thanks for your help!

If he feels he is doing good he may practice more, or he may get cocky and practice less. You, as a band mate need to tell him he is doing good, but at the same time encourage him to push the envelope and do better! No one makes it alone.
Ah true. I think we're at this point determined to make this work, since well before we ever tried to play music together we were good friends... also jamming without him would just be boring. I mean, he isn't as bad as everyone seems to think he is... he learns bits and pieces of songs that he wants to learn because that is all he wants to do with music... we're trying to convince him to take it a little bit further so we can all benefit from sharing the same interests.

I'm going off to college come the fall, so were not planning on taking this any further than the casual jam--- but it would be awesome if we did actually play well together.

thanks again for all your help everyone! please keep the song suggestions coming, we'll be playing a lot more frequently now that things are starting to settle down with school.
if smells teen spirit was hard for you guys, then maybe learn some greenday.

good powerchord practise
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Fortunate son was fine.. by the 3rd time through the song we all got it.

Smells like teen spirit wasn't really difficult either, it was just frustrating because its such an easy song yet it took us some time and lots of distractions later we got it.

We're just looking to have fun, I don't get why most of you guys are responding so negatively. Yes, we stink at playing. We know that. This is a casual hobby and we're looking to get better, but are looking for some suggestions of songs to learn. I thought being honest with everyone, instead of saying "how good we are" would be beneficial to the whole learning experience.

Thanks to those of you who are responding with tips.