So I have a job at a clothing store where I live, and it's pretty much the best job I've ever had. The managers are great and they really like me, and I'm good at the job.
So here's the conflict; I'm about to ship out to basic training for the Navy in 3 weeks (I want to do this, it's not something I'd give up for a dead-end job) and I haven't told work about it yet.

See, I got this job AFTER I signed up for the Navy (a while back) and in order to make sure I got the job I didn't tell them I'd be leaving at a specific date. Now the problem is I don't know how to bring it up right, because there are about 30 other employees with hardly any hours that would probably be able and more than willing to take over my shift the minute I give 2 weeks notice. I can't just quit at the last minute either, because I really like my managers and wouldn't want to screw them over by just leaving. I'm just worried that I'll give my 2 weeks notice and then immediately get my hours cut and get replaced by someone else.

So any ideas? I'm thinking so far that I should just sit down with my main manager 2 weeks before I want to quit and tell her what's going on and pretty much beg her to keep me working for that amount of time.
I've had Alzheimer's Disease for as long as I can remember.

Quote by damian_91
Pleasure2kill, you are a genius!
Quote by Øttər
Yeah do that.

I don't get it, what is the problem?

Well I'm just wondering what the best way to approach it would be... I don't want to piss the managers off, and I really want to make it clear that I need work on the last two weeks.
I was just seeing if anyone had any genius ideas of how to approach it because I'm kinda nervous about talking to her about it...

Quote by damian_91
yeah, just talk with your manager. not a big problem i don't think
To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true.

Umm dude, you cant just expect them to wait for you while you've ****ed off to the navy, you chose to leave so take the consequences like a man.

Your going to get replaced once you go, so just be honest.
a little lost.....
Dude... you're about to join the fricken' Navy! They'll respect your wishes I think. If not they're total douchebags and not worth it. Cheers mate!
Quote by VoodooChild15
I used to take my penis out and touch stuff with it when no one was looking.

Quote by teensean
THANK YOU!!! i love you Snyde_Platypus!!!

I explained "lulz" =D
Quote by andOverTheHills
yeah, just talk with your manager. not a big problem i don't think

Yeah it's just that we have a strange system here at work...
Basically they hire EVERYONE that applies, and then gives out hours based on performance. For example, if one guy is really into it and there are tons of sales whenever he's on shift, he'll get a lot of hours. If someone doesn't do **** or just sucks, they get cut down to zero or just a few hours. Then there are tons of mediocre people who get whatever's left over.
Right now I'm a real hot shot ( ) which means I'm making a pretty big check. If I turn in my two weeks, there will be quite a few other employees who would kill to take those hours away from me right away and management would probably be better off taking my hours and dispersing them among everyone else.
But I'm greedy and I need my money. That's the issue, really.

Quote by damian_91
Quote by Snyde_Platypus
Dude... you're about to join the fricken' Navy! They'll respect your wishes I think. If not they're total douchebags and not worth it. Cheers mate!

Thanks man, that kinda puts it in perspective a bit. I'm probably overreacting haha. Just nervous is all.

And as for Davo Ownz, I wasn't talking about getting replaced after I'm gone, I'm talking about getting replaced from the time I tell them I'm quitting till the time I actually want to quit.

Quote by damian_91
Caring for your manager is pretty stupid if it isn't your final career, therefore, i would tell them 3-5 days before leaving, saying you were really busy, because of the navy stuff and all
Quote by Davo Ownz
Umm dude, you cant just expect them to wait for you while you've ****ed off to the navy, you chose to leave so take the consequences like a man.

Your going to get replaced once you go, so just be honest.

ya, you'll be replaced when you leave, so i think you'll have to forget the two weeks. there's no clever way out of this one. and congrats for joining the navy!
To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true.

I've been in retail management and several of my family members are in the military, so I'm speaking with experience. It's against the law to discriminate you because you're in the military. Just because you're going to basic, they can't cut your hours on your last two weeks for that reason. They would get into some serious trouble. The same thing goes for getting deployed as well. You could even get your job back if you wanted after you got back from basic. I've known several people who have been in the National Guard or Reserves and still hold another day job. So you most certainly have options there.
Jackson DKMGT
ESP LTD MH-1000
Peavey Valveking 100W Head
Peavey Valveking 4x12 Slant Cab
Quote by Murdok_the_rake
I've been in retail management and several of my family members are in the military, so I'm speaking with experience. It's against the law to discriminate you because you're in the military. Just because you're going to basic, they can't cut your hours on your last two weeks for that reason. They would get into some serious trouble. The same thing goes for getting deployed as well. You could even get your job back if you wanted after you got back from basic. I've known several people who have been in the National Guard or Reserves and still hold another day job. So you most certainly have options there.

Thanks alot man, I'll keep that in mind!

Quote by damian_91
Not a problem
Jackson DKMGT
ESP LTD MH-1000
Peavey Valveking 100W Head
Peavey Valveking 4x12 Slant Cab