Hey everyone,

Looking to invest in a new guitar sometime soon.

I was thinking about a Fender Telecaster (known for their twangy sound, right?), but when I went to Guitar Center and saw Gretsch guitars.... completely forgot about considering them....

Dont know much about them though. I would probably get a hollow or semi hollow electric one. They have that sort of twangy sound, right? Are they good guitars?

And what would be a good one to buy? I want something thats good to gig with. One thats atleast equal in quality to a basic Fender Strat.

Im a total noob on Gretsch guitars so anything you can tell me would be cool.

Or would anyone reccomend any possible alternatives that are just as good?

Oh yeah.... and the amps Im looking at.... either a Vox or the Peavey Classic.
Last edited by aaronob at Nov 18, 2008,
If you want a hollow one but don't want to spend $1,500+, try the Electromatic G5120. As for their quality, their owned by Fender now, so their going to have quality at leas equal to a MIM Fender at $200 more. Just don't try pushing some monster gain through it; hollowbodies don't take well to heavy distortion.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Yes, sort of twangy, and yes, good guitars. Honestly, both the Tele and Gretsch are good guitars, but try 'em out and see what you like better. Honestly, I don't like the neck on most semi-hollows, but it's what's most comfortable and better sounding to you.
Quote by necrosis1193
If you want a hollow one but don't want to spend $1,500+, try the Electromatic G5120. As for their quality, their owned by Fender now, so their going to have quality at leas equal to a MIM Fender at $200 more. Just don't try pushing some monster gain through it; hollowbodies don't take well to heavy distortion.

Yeah, I was looking on Guitar Center and thats the only one that would be close to my price range... lol.

I dont plan on playing with it heavily distorted.... I dont play any metal or anything. I do play power chords and some solos with distortion though, but not insanely heavy distortion.

Quote by Iceman 420
Yes, sort of twangy, and yes, good guitars. Honestly, both the Tele and Gretsch are good guitars, but try 'em out and see what you like better. Honestly, I don't like the neck on most semi-hollows, but it's what's most comfortable and better sounding to you.

Yeah, Im not ruling out the tele yet. Just looking for possibilities. I would actually prefer a semi hollow tele but those are over 700 bucks and definently out of my range. But maybe I should look for a used one....
Last edited by aaronob at Nov 18, 2008,
Quote by aaronob
Yeah, I was looking on Guitar Center and thats the only one that would be close to my price range... lol.

I dont plan on playing with it heavily distorted.... I dont play any metal or anything. I do play power chords and some solos with distortion though, but not insanely heavy distortion.

A Gretsch will be fine, Tim Armstrong from Rancid uses one, and a ton of Psychobilly bands do, so lighter distortion is no problem. Grestches are also great for country and all that chicken picking.
Player, give me some brew an I might just chill
but I'm the type that like to light another joint like Cypress Hill
You have a John Lennon quote in your Sig, George Harrison used Gretsch's if thats any influence on your decision.
Fender USA Standard Stratocaster
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tonerider British Distortion
Tonerider American Overdrive
Boss DD7
Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker
Treble Booster.
I love my g5120, I pump some distortion through it too. It does tend to get feedback with super high gain, but I use alot. and the cleans are great of course. And it's very durable, I've been gigging with it pretty hard for the past 8 months now and it's got it's damage but it's in one piece and still plays beautifully. Should sound fantastic through the amps you've choosen too, perfect matches.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Just get one. That's it. Just get one

Play, play, play and find one you want. You're not going to find a bad quality Gretsch, m'dear.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Quote by bicko19
You have a John Lennon quote in your Sig, George Harrison used Gretsch's if thats any influence on your decision.

Hm. Id say that actually helps out a lot.

I like the Beatles sound. Which in a way kinda sounds like the Velvet Underground sound.... and it turns out Lou Reed plays Gretsch too.

What about Steve Miller band though? Particularly Fly Like an Eagle? I was listening to it last night and it sounded like it could be a Gretsch or maybe a Tele.....

Quote by l3p4rd
I love my g5120, I pump some distortion through it too. It does tend to get feedback with super high gain, but I use alot. and the cleans are great of course. And it's very durable, I've been gigging with it pretty hard for the past 8 months now and it's got it's damage but it's in one piece and still plays beautifully. Should sound fantastic through the amps you've choosen too, perfect matches.

What about playing rythym guitar with it? Mainly power chords with distortion....
You have awesome taste in music, bro

I'm pretty sure Steve Miller uses Strats, btw
ok, ok, another potentialy newbie question, but what the hell is chicken picking exactly??? like seriously??
Quote by aaronob

What about playing rythym guitar with it? Mainly power chords with distortion....

that's pretty much what I do, I play punk and ska and psychobilly, but mostly punk and ska. I max out the gain with an overdrive boost when I'm playing on distortion, sounds great. It's prone to feedback though, as every hollowbody is, so you'll need a noise supressor. But the pickups put out a great thick humbucker sound.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
Quote by irishstang_87
You have awesome taste in music, bro

I'm pretty sure Steve Miller uses Strats, btw

Thanks man. Glad to see someone can appreciate my choice of music.

Quote by l3p4rd
that's pretty much what I do, I play punk and ska and psychobilly, but mostly punk and ska. I max out the gain with an overdrive boost when I'm playing on distortion, sounds great. It's prone to feedback though, as every hollowbody is, so you'll need a noise supressor. But the pickups put out a great thick humbucker sound.

Noise supressor? Whats that? How much do they usually cost for a good one?
Angus's brother from ACDC uses a Gretsch
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by aaronob
Thanks man. Glad to see someone can appreciate my choice of music.

Noise supressor? Whats that? How much do they usually cost for a good one?

they prevent feedback and fizzy-ness. You can get a good one for 123, this may seem like alot, but it helps in all situations.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ISP-Technologies-Decimator-Noise-Reduction-Pedal?sku=150368
or
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-NS2-Noise-Suppressor-Pedal?sku=151331
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
Quote by l3p4rd
they prevent feedback and fizzy-ness. You can get a good one for 123, this may seem like alot, but it helps in all situations.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ISP-Technologies-Decimator-Noise-Reduction-Pedal?sku=150368
or
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-NS2-Noise-Suppressor-Pedal?sku=151331

Alright, thanks man.

I notice you own both a strat and a Gretsch... which one do you use the most? Could you compare their sounds for me?
I use the gretsch the most. They're pretty much polar opposites, I did this on purpose.

The gretsch is fat and warm
the fender is thin and tinny. (but in a good way)

I use the gretsch the most because that's what my band's sound needs. Althought I like the fender's neck alittle more, I like the gretsch's sound more. I wish I could combine the two.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
Alright dude, sounds good... like a guitar I would want. Now the final thing to do is to go to Guitar Center and actually play it and see if I like it. So currently its between the Gretsch G5120 and Fender Telecaster. And Im still not leaving my eyes closed to maybe getting a Fender Stratocaster.... probably not though.