Exact same title. He's only been playing for a couple of months on my old Ibanez practice amp, but he's got some money saved and he told me today he wants to buy a new amp.

"Good idea bro, what're you getting?"
"I don't know. That cheap Marshall looks pretty cool."
"Wait, an MG?"
"Yeah. Or that Line6 whatever with all the fancy amp models..."
"Spider?"
"Yeah."
"Dude, do NOT get those amps." And then I proceded to tell him everything that's wrong with the MG and Spider (took me five minutes) but he won't listen. Made even worse by the fact that there's a very nice Valvetronix in the music store for $800NZ (his budget) that he played and said sounded too harsh. He syas he liked the Spider tone better, but he's got a cheap multi-fx pedal that he wants to use.
Forgetting about used (I don't think he needs a JCM or 5150 yet) even new here can get a small Fender or even Crate tube amp, or a nice Hughes and Kettner SS that has a great clean channel. But he won't listen, so what, more convincing arguments can I use to stop him from buying a giant box of bees with CRUSHING overdrive, or a fizzy oversized toy?
Thanks guys.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Just show him the replies to the millions of threads asking whether the MG or Spider are good.

In the end it does come down to preference, I recall a famous guitarist actually using an MG, they aren't quite as bad as everyone makes out. There is much better for the same price however...
I read on here Static X played with them? Just show him OTHER, BETTER amps in his range... how hard could that be?
Quote by steven seagull
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
+1

You should always listen to this bird-man-woman-thing.

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

What the fuck man!? That's SWEET

I think I might actually use that!

I have, but he's got n00b amp buyer syndrome and I worked hard enough weaning him off the MG. Although, telling someone you burned an amp in a guitar store plugging it in generally convinces them to take the common sense road.
But all the fancy gadgets of the Spider suckered him in.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by boxie
Whereabouts in NZ do you fellas live?

Whangarei bro.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by shadow__666
I have, but he's got n00b amp buyer syndrome and I worked hard enough weaning him off the MG. Although, telling someone you burned an amp in a guitar store plugging it in generally convinces them to take the common sense road.
But all the fancy gadgets of the Spider suckered him in.

Well point out that they sacrifice quality for quanitity...
Peavey Vypyr has more AND sounds better?
Quote by steven seagull
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
+1

You should always listen to this bird-man-woman-thing.

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

What the fuck man!? That's SWEET

I think I might actually use that!

Hmm. Whangarei...

You guys got a RockShop there? Coz if you do, tell him to try out a Crate V18. I got the V50 from Amuricah, cheap as chips. Well... $400 chips then. Its a tube amp, and mhmmm does it sound tasty. NZD btw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-66DPuLCkw0&feature=related

Show him that, then show him this to show him what a real, quality, non-solid-state, tube amp can do;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI4tuvWAyys

Yeah Vox plays up the AC30 like a used car salesman, but it sounds damn good, and kicks the crap out of a Line 6.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Okay I've worked on him pretty hard, and he's relented that the Spider probably isn't the best choice.
Quote by Cathbard
You can't tell some people. I know people with solid state amps that have argued up and down that their amp will slay my 5150 and **** like that. But they are mostly kids when they say that. lol They don't know tone. I mean I think back when I was 16. I didn't know jack about tone.
I think I've managed to sell him a Cube 60.
Quote by Cathbard
People always talk about the cubes being so much better than the line 6 but honestly I don't think it sounds all that great. But I hate digital modeling amps. Those transtube peavey solid state amps and amps like that sound the best to me. In the solid state amp I mean.
Yay for the cube 60.

If I were looking for something less than $200 the spider would be my personal choice.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
imo, budget amps -

Vypyr > Cube >>> Spider >>>>> MG
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Now encourage him to try a vypyr, and we're in business!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator