I know that this is in the wrong forum, but most people are viewing this one, so I'll get right in with it. Does anyone know what guitar Brian May used to record his solos in Bohemian Rapsody? I just loved the sound.
It's the Red Special through a Vox AC30 if my memory serves me.

Custom built, although there are replicas out there.
Quote by ruiner999

Any helpful sources of information?
Quote by ruiner999

Don't forget the treble booster.

Quote by tehguitarnub
Any helpful sources of information?

For the guitar; There are various, but personally I'd recommend this if you can't afford the $800 licensed one;

http://www.dillionguitars.com/guitar/electric/DB/DBM04/index.html

Dillion's a great brand, I almost got one of these a while back.

Treble booster; This is based off the one Brian used, so I assume it'll work;

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Diaz-Texas-Ranger-Treble-Boost?sku=151061

As for the amp, a normal AC30 is fine for it;

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-AC30CC2-30W-2x12-Custom-Classic-Combo?sku=482620

Though if you really want Brian's tone and like me you just toll the EQ all the way up, he has a signature AC30;

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-AC30BM-Brian-May-Custom-Guitar-Amp?sku=482640

Really most class-A tube amps will get it done though, especially if they have Celestion Alnico speakers.

For resources on the entire rig, just google "Brian May Guitar Setup", that should et you what you want.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Jesus, $2000 bucks for a combo amp? Little bit steep, huh?

LOL, but really, Brian May achieved tone that blows modern guitarists out of the water. I mean really, if you listen to a solo from "Heroes of Our Time" by DragonForce, the tone is so simple and artificial and so uninteresting, but when you listen to Bohemian Rapsody... it is just unbelievable. THAT'S what all electric guitar solos should sound like.

So I was thinking, if I could get my dirty hands on some Tri Sonic pickups and slap them in a Mahogony-bodied guitar, I could get close enough to his tone. My amp is Marshall 2203KK Kerry King signature. What do you guys think?
The Vox is a large part of his tone, same with the aforementioned booster. You could get close I imagine.

AC30s are sweet though.
Quote by tehguitarnub

LOL, but really, Brian May achieved tone that blows modern guitarists out of the water. I mean really, if you listen to a solo from "Heroes of Our Time" by DragonForce, the tone is so simple and artificial and so uninteresting, but when you listen to Bohemian Rapsody... it is just unbelievable. THAT'S what all electric guitar solos should sound like.

So I was thinking, if I could get my dirty hands on some Tri Sonic pickups and slap them in a Mahogony-bodied guitar, I could get close enough to his tone. My amp is Marshall 2203KK Kerry King signature. What do you guys think?

Why is that "steep" for a combo amp? An amp is an amp - stacks aren't inherently more valuable, they just come in two bits....and there's some incresdibly ****ty half stacks out there.

A good amp is a good amp, and good amps are expensive.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Hmm doesn't he use an amp John Deacon built as well?
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
Quote by tehguitarnub

I suppose you can get a similar tone, IMO, the pickups are probably the defining part of the sound - they have a unique sound that is more obvious IMO.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
You'd need the Vox to get close to his tone. And to the guy who says that it's too expensive for a combo amp, have you ever played through one? I did, twice, and now i'm saving like hell for one. They sound like nothing else.
Quote by Joey Radical
Hmm doesn't he use an amp John Deacon built as well?

+1, he almost certainly used the Deacy at some point as well. I mean the song must have hundreds of gutar parts...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.