hey guys I finally got the laney back in working order and butt some JJs and EXHs tubes in her, not to mention a V30 It's sounds great.

now that my amp quest is over (for a little while in a month I'll want something else I need a couple of pedals.

I need a goodish OD I"m thinkin' a Bad monkey it was good and cheap and pretty transparent.

also maybe a sparkle drive but probably not.

I don't want to spend MORE than about 100 USD on an OD

I also need a good delay with tap tempo I was thinking a DD7

no more than 160 please

I also want some kind of sustain pedal for controlled feed back (please not a DF2)

a wah

and a good chorus that I can leave on almost all the time to fatten up the tone
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
There was a thread recently posted that makes a really strong case for the Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive. The other two popular choices are the Green Screamer and the TS9. If you want something for around $50 instead of $100, the Danelectro Cool Cat Overdrive is more transparent than the Bad Monkey I'd say. Either way, you get what you pay for.

The DD-7 is a nice choice for a digital delay.

How much for the other three pedals are you looking to spend?
maybe a 100

Btw I'll probably go used
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
BBE Green Screamer, Line 6 Echo Park Delay, Visual Sound V2 Series V2LC Liquid Chorus, Rocktron Big Crush Compressor

EDIT: I still recommend trying before you buy.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Overdrive; Try a Fulltone OCD or, if you don't have $150 for a pedal, a good tubescreamer.

Delay; Boss DD-3. I have one, it's a great pedal, sounds like Where The Streets Have No Name right out of the box.

Sustain pedal; Try an Electro-Harmonix Russian Big Muff Pi. Again, I have one, so I can go hands on. It's very, for lack of a better word, Russian. Smaller and less frills than the American one, cheaper, can be used just as well if not better than the US model, greenish black with bright yellow minimalist lettering, and it's versatile; with the sustain/distortion all the way down it's a slight distortion with a little muffling. With the sustain/distortion and tone on 12 o' clock it sounds like Gilmour. And with the sustain/distortion at 12 o' clock or higher and the tone at 3 o' clock or higher it's usable for metal.

Wah; Vox V847-A. Not as well known as the crybaby or Morley, but used by the people who made wah famous in the 60's, it's a good wah.

Chorus; Boss CE-5. Once more, I have it, hands-on-ness; it can do anything from fattening and shining up the tone to pulsating tremolo. Really a jackknife of choruses IMO.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by necrosis1193
...Sustain pedal; Try an Electro-Harmonix Russian Big Muff Pi. Again, I have one, so I can go hands on. It's very, for lack of a better word, Russian. Smaller and less frills than the American one, cheaper, can be used just as well if not better than the US model, greenish black with bright yellow minimalist lettering, and it's versatile; with the sustain/distortion all the way down it's a slight distortion with a little muffling. With the sustain/distortion and tone on 12 o' clock it sounds like Gilmour. And with the sustain/distortion at 12 o' clock or higher and the tone at 3 o' clock or higher it's usable for metal.

The Big Muff is a fuzz pedal.

Get out of here and stop spitting out things you hear.

damn n00bs.

EDIT: Anyway... go for the 535Q unless you can get your hands on a Teese wah. I agree with the later comment concerning the Vox wah. It's meant to sound like those old 60's wahs, which makes it treblier than other wahs.

Last edited by evening_crow at Nov 18, 2008,
Well, for the compressor/sustainer I always advocate the Soul Preacher as a good reasonably priced option. Definitely stay away from the CS-3

For wah the Crybaby sucks tone unless you mod it for true bypass. You can help to counter this if you have a buffered pedal in front of the Crybaby. The V847 is really nice, but I found it to be too screechy when kicked up the whole way. The Boss PW-10 is extremely versatile including good imitations of the Crybaby and the Vox, but it's also the most expensive. It'll be a little outside your $100 per pedal budget if you can't find it used.

I use a CE-5 in front of my Crybaby, which has this beautiful sound that you just have to hear.
I need tap tempo and the DD3 doesn't have it

I planned on the 847a anyways so I'll probably do that now.

i though about the OCD but a 150 is alot of money haha. I"ll just get a TS9 or something

as for sustain I meant like harmonic sustain, I should have clarified. I was thinkin of just getting a CS3

I'll look into the CE5
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by evening_crow

He never asked for a wah and the Big Muff is a fuzz pedal.

Get out of here and stop spitting out things you hear.

damn n00bs.

Quote by Bostonrocks

a wah

Looks like he said wah to me. Don't believe me, scroll up and read his post.

2. I know it's a fuzz pedal; frankly I don't know of any specific "sustain" pedal, so I assumed he was referring to something along the lines of a fuzz pedal since every single custom distortion pedal I've seen has the distortion labeled as either distortion, drive or sustain. I've never heard of a specific "sustain" pedal, so I made a recommendation based on what I knew. How about you explain what I could do to, I don't know, fix my mistake rather than insulting me and walking off?

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Nov 18, 2008,
Quote by necrosis1193

2. I know it's a fuzz pedal; frankly I don't know of any specific "sustain" pedal, so I assumed he was referring to something along the lines of a fuzz pedal since every single custom distortion pedal I've seen has the distortion labeled as either distortion, drive or sustain. I've never heard of a specific "sustain" pedal, so I made a recommendation based on what I knew. How about you explain what I could do to, I don't know, fix my mistake rather than insulting me and walking off?

yeah man it's okay I just worded it wrong
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by necrosis1193

My bad on the wah part. I accidentally skipped that part. My apologies.

However, there are sustain pedals and are sometimes called compressors.

Quote by evening_crow
My bad on the wah part. I accidentally skipped that part. My apologies.

However, there are sustain pedals and are sometimes called compressors.

Not a problem.

Huh...I never actually managed to figure out what a compressor does. I tried one once, didn't really notice anything except a quieter sound and less hum from my strat, so I figured they were basically noise gates to cut off excess hum and whatnot. Never figured it did anything to sustain...

so soul preacher and CS3 is what I've got so far

opinions
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by necrosis1193
Not a problem.

Huh...I never actually managed to figure out what a compressor does. I tried one once, didn't really notice anything except a quieter sound and less hum from my strat, so I figured they were basically noise gates to cut off excess hum and whatnot. Never figured it did anything to sustain...

Sustainer/compressors level out the signal's volume in order to create a more uniform sound. They pretty much work by making loud noises quieter and quiet ones louder. However, they can be noisy when used with distortion, which is why they're mainly used for cleans. Another small downside is that they reduce dynamics.

A noise gate is meant to filter out excess hum and feedback when you're not playing by setting a minimum level that the signal volume must reach in order to pass through.

Quote by Bostonrocks

opinions

Forgeting the Rocktron Big Crush

or the rocktron crush...

what do you think?
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks

opinions

As proven by most of this topic, I know little to nothing of compression/sustain pedals.

But in my experience, except for delay and fuzz, Boss > EHX, so I'd get the Boss as long as their both either analog or digital; if one is digital and the others analog, go for the analog one, actual analog circuitry > digital modeling.

Quote by evening_crow
Sustainer/compressors level out the signal's volume in order to create a more uniform sound. They pretty much work by making loud noises quieter and quiet ones louder. However, they can be noisy when used with distortion, which is why they're mainly used for cleans. Another small downside is that they reduce dynamics.

A noise gate is meant to filter out excess hum and feedback when you're not playing by setting a minimum level that the signal volume must reach in order to pass through.

Forgeting the Rocktron Big Crush

Ah. So basically it's an equalizer, only in literal meaning rather than letting you focus on bass mid or treble as is often done with EQ equalizing?

Hmm...would it cut cycle 60 hum from a single-coil?

Quote by Bostonrocks
or the rocktron crush...

what do you think?

If you can find one, go for it; Mr. Scholz's creations were great devices. Their rare, discontinued and often expensive though, so good luck.

thats a pretty big statment saying Boss owns EHX

I dunno I need to wait for some more opinions
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
If you can find one, go for it; Mr. Scholz's creations were great devices. Their rare, discontinued and often expensive though, so good luck.

you're thinking of the ROCKMAN I own a few incase you haven't noticed I'm a bit of a boston freak
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by necrosis1193
...Ah. So basically it's an equalizer, only in literal meaning rather than letting you focus on bass mid or treble as is often done with EQ equalizing?

To call it an equalizer would make things confusing, but yes it does try to make all volumes "equal."

Quote by necrosis1193
Hmm...would it cut cycle 60 hum from a single-coil?

Yes and no. It doesn't focus in any particular frequency. What it does is filter out any sounds that don't meet the minimum volume that one sets on the pedal. It can cancel hum as long as the threshold is set properly.

Quote by Bostonrocks

I dunno I need to wait for some more opinions

Well, that's matter of opinion. He said he preffered Boss in almost anything except for delay and distortion. I would probably prefer Boss for modulation effects too. However to say that true bypass is better than buffered is redundant but i don't want to go into details.

As for opinions, i will obviously vote for what i recommended, followed by EHX.

Quote by Bostonrocks

Well, I love EHX, I'll say that outright; they have the only fuzz I'd use, and if I could afford a Memory Man I'd have one. But the Small Stone's only got one knob compared to the PH-3's four,--and as I know from switching from a one-knob distortion pedal to a three-knob pedal, it really pays to get the pedal with the seemingly needless extra knobs--the CE-5 has a lot more control over it's sound than the Small Clone(I've played both head-to-head earlier today and own one, I can confirm that), and I don't think EHX has a treadable wah, so they've already lost there to Boss. But the Muffs easily destroy anything a Boss fuzzbox or a DS-1's distortion could put out IMO, and really the Memory Man is one of the best delays on the market, it's hard to beat.

Quote by Bostonrocks

you're thinking of the ROCKMAN I own a few incase you haven't noticed I'm a bit of a boston freak

XD Did I really read Rocktron as Rockman? I feel kinda stupid now... XD

Quote by evening_crow
To call it an equalizer would make things confusing, but yes it does try to make all volumes "equal."

Yes and no. It doesn't focus in any particular frequency. What it does is filter out any sounds that don't meet the minimum volume that one sets on the pedal. It can cancel hum as long as the threshold is set properly.

Ah.

Hmm...well, I do suppose that would be handy, but by that same key I guess you could cancel out feedback depending on the setting, which'd work against me at least; I use feedback in my tone a la Townshend, Jeff Beck or Hendrix. Still, I could imagine it being convenient to most players who don't play with feedback...

no I agree I do like boss Modulations and delays much more than most things but EHXs small stone I liked alot and memory man are very good pedals

but all are opinions and I think I'll go with the CE-5 and the DD7

I'll probably go with the rocktron as you said It looks good enough all I really need it for is controlled feed back.

I'll probably go with a TS 9 or if I feel I can spend the rest I'll get an OCD

and a Vox 847
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by necrosis1193
Ah.

Hmm...well, I do suppose that would be handy, but by that same key I guess you could cancel out feedback depending on the setting, which'd work against me at least; I use feedback in my tone a la Townshend, Jeff Beck or Hendrix. Still, I could imagine it being convenient to most players who don't play with feedback...

Now you're getting it!!!

It would reduce/eliminate feedback, just like it reduces sustain... which is the downfall to noise gates. That's where the threshold (minimum level) goes in. It should be set so that it gets rid of unwanted noise without compromising (much)sustain.

bump
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
I'd recommend the EHX Soul Preacher as a comp. Its much more natural sounding than the CS3, although I haven't tried the Rocktron.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Bostonrocks - I had a thread and subsequent clip of my new pedals. Maybe you saw it, I can't remember. Not real indepth on each but I picked up:

MXR SuperComp (ressor/sustainer)
MXR Carbon Copy delay (no tap tempo obviously but sweet sounding)
MXR EVH Phase 90
Danelectro 7 band EQ

I already had the Bad Monkey.
I would highly advise you take a second look and maybe waiting a bit until you can get the funds up for a sparkle drive. Great pedal. Its a great OD/Boost, and thats the best part about it, versatility. The clean boost function mixed with low levels of gain sounds amazing for blues, turn up the gain and set the clean at like midway. you got a great classic rock crunch.

for the delay, do you need tap tempo? because 311 made a great suggestion with the Carbon Copy. If not, then I would say the DD7 would be great.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by necrosis1193

But in my experience, except for delay and fuzz, Boss > EHX, so I'd get the Boss as long as their both either analog or digital; if one is digital and the others analog, go for the analog one, actual analog circuitry > digital modeling.

not true.

analog certainly isn't "better" than digital. you shouldn't classify things like that, especially such broad topics.

i much prefer digital delays for the type of music i play, although i love the sound of analog. digital works much better for me because of the longer delay times. to have long delay times for analog pedals, you literally have to have a bigger pedal, which some can view as "worse" or less convenient.

Boss is most certainly not better than EHX either. it's subjective.

TS, i would recommend the line6 echo park for tap tempo delay on a budget.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
yeah I plan on buying a carbon copy in the future but would much rather have a tap tempo delay right now cause its more useful to me
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
understandable.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Fulltone OCD (used) MXR Carbon Copy Delay (new or used). I have used an OCD, very classic rock, blues sound, and they are great for what they are used for. I have a Carbon Copy, and I can say that it is WELL worth the price ($150 new). Most analog delays are $250 and higher, and this thing sounds just as good if not better, and it has a modualtion function in it to give it a unique feature. I love it.
Fender American Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
79 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Mesa Boogie Mark IV with 4x12 Recto Cab
Looking for Ibanez RGA model or Petrucci PM me for details
Quote by xwearesinking
not true.

analog certainly isn't "better" than digital. you shouldn't classify things like that, especially such broad topics.

i much prefer digital delays for the type of music i play, although i love the sound of analog. digital works much better for me because of the longer delay times. to have long delay times for analog pedals, you literally have to have a bigger pedal, which some can view as "worse" or less convenient.

Boss is most certainly not better than EHX either. it's subjective.

TS, i would recommend the line6 echo park for tap tempo delay on a budget.

That's the exact same delay pedal i suggested.