I'm a guitar player that has decided to take up bass. Reason being we are in short supply of bass players around here, and a spot has opened up in a local metal band(a la BFMV, All That Remains, stuff like that). I'm friends with their frontman and he said if I get a bass and decent sized amp, the spot's as good as mine. He used to play bass so he'll help me learn to play.

Problem: I need a bass and decent sized amp and I'm broke. The good thing is I have until school lets out for spring break to get my stuff together. That'll give us time to get together and practice for summer gigs.

I was thinking about getting a bass and practice amp (>30 watts) and practicing until I can afford a better amp(tax returns ) and start practicing with the band.
OR should I just wait until I can get both amp and bass at the same time?

BTW I'm not 100% sure but my friend said one guitarist has a 100w halfstack and the other has a 75 or 100w combo if that helps.

Any suggestions as to what amp, bass, or what to do are greatly appreciated because I'm in VERY unfamiliar territory. And sorry bout the wall of text.
1.squier p bass or any cheap bass
2.acoustic b200 amp
Dick+strings= owww
Most people will say to you, Squier P bass.

Anyone who doesn't, will tell you to get the Squier Jazz bass.

...I was starting up bass a long time ago now, and I considered the P bass, but if I really got into it, I might wanna expand and get a Jazz bass.

So I got... Yamaha BB414. Stupidly high quality bass, and it's pretty darn cheap.
It's got a precision and jazz pick up two, so it owns the two Squiers (but the FENDER Jazz and P basses would take a sh*t on it...)

I'd totally reccomend it.

Only downside I can think of, is that it's ****ING HEAVY but unless you're not a real man, you'll be able to pick it up =)

(Seriously, the weight issue will take a small while to get used to, especially if you're used to a guitar. But really, it is more than worth looking into.)
Check out Ibanez GSR200 it's a really good cheapo bass apparently.
Gear!:

Epiphone G400
Marshall JCM 800 4211 Combo
Karmer Forum III
Schecter Stiletto Deluxe 5
Holden Graphic something bass amp? (eh it's 300 watts!)
Some sort of 1x15 cab.
my mate has a yamaha 5 string that he got for like 600AUD i think, active pups, its a metal heads bass lol, and its really decent.

so look into yamaha stuff, or ibanez (as usual)

if you play guitar, you can use that amp (assuming that your REALLLLY FKN CAREFUL)

and just play un ampped for a bit till you can get a bassamp.

wait, is it bass through a guitar amp thats deadly or guitar through bass amp?
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by Iliketrucks
Check out Ibanez GSR200 it's a really good cheapo bass apparently.

I hate to labour a point, but... a lot of the replies you might get to this thread will tell you a cheap costing bass. A lot of them may well say that the bass is really good for such a low price.

The Yamaha BB414 is not good for a low price.
It is good for a bass, fullstop/period.

It plays as well as basses costing over twice what it does.

This is my favourite page on the whole internet:
http://www.bassplayer.com/article/yamaha-bb414-bb614/may-05/8554

Quote by Hale_91
my mate has a yamaha 5 string that he got for like 600AUD i think, active pups, its a metal heads bass lol, and its really decent.

so look into yamaha stuff, or ibanez (as usual)

if you play guitar, you can use that amp (assuming that your REALLLLY FKN CAREFUL)

and just play un ampped for a bit till you can get a bassamp.

wait, is it bass through a guitar amp thats deadly or guitar through bass amp?

There's also the BB415 if you want that five string low b, or a 615 if you like active pickups. There's a 6 string version out there too.

I'm sorry to say I've only had bad experiences with Ibanez basses.

And as for amps, guitars go through bass amps fine in my experience...
...but depending on how good your guitar amp is, how low your bass is tuned and how loud/hard you're playing... it could f*ck the amp up.

Be safe, get a bass amp.
Quote by Hale_91
or.. sell ya guitar gear and get bass gear.

HAHAHAHA Lolz... U'r funny dude...

WAIT U mean it
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Dude, I think I would know, Trivium invented Thrash, Metallica are lucky they got as far as they did piggy-backing off of Trivium's signature style.
lol, ITS A WORST CASE SCENARIO ONLY I SWEAR!

but yeah, with amps, i ment like, if you dont have all funds at once, im sure playing softly through ya guitar amp jsut so you can hear it for a while as you safe for a bass rig shouldn't be to devastating i would think.

and a bass is still a guitar....
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by Hale_91
lol, ITS A WORST CASE SCENARIO ONLY I SWEAR!

but yeah, with amps, i ment like, if you dont have all funds at once, im sure playing softly through ya guitar amp jsut so you can hear it for a while as you safe for a bass rig shouldn't be to devastating i would think.

and a bass is still a guitar....

I got a bass, and now I am selling my guitars, 'cause I never use them now.

...yeah yeah yeah, playing softly through a guitar amp would be fine. I meant just don't crank it up concert volume and have an epic rock out/gig with it.

As for bass being a guitar, that's a subject I get sensitive about, but as far as amps are concerned... that's slightly true, yes.

Still, save up for a bass amp all the same. Because they will do your tone much more justice.
if it hasnt got 7 strings, its a bass.

a bass is a guitar, in the sense that it is shaped the same etc.

but yes, its diff techniques, and diff goals in playing.

in saying that, when you see some bassists like myung, sheehan, and other "rock" basists, spesh taht george diagorgio or what ever it is. then the BASS very much becomes an instrument in the same sense as a guitar.

my point is. is that its still a respected instrument, and that changing from guitar bass shouldnt really be a taboo thing
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by Hale_91
if it hasnt got 7 strings, its a bass.

a bass is a guitar, in the sense that it is shaped the same etc.

but yes, its diff techniques, and diff goals in playing.

in saying that, when you see some bassists like myung, sheehan, and other "rock" basists, spesh taht george diagorgio or what ever it is. then the BASS very much becomes an instrument in the same sense as a guitar.

my point is. is that its still a respected instrument, and that changing from guitar bass shouldnt really be a taboo thing

Ah, I misunderstood you I believe, I do apologise.

Yeah, if you are good at bass, you will be okay at guitar.
If you are good at guitar, you will be okay at bass.

A few skills won't cross over so well, and a lot of them will take some effort but get there in the end...

But TS, remember... A BASS IS BIGGER.

The frets are bigger. Especially on the lower notes.

This means, over the course of a gig, you might have "walked more finger miles" if you're on bass, than guitar.

Be prepared. Be very prepared.

Oh and Hale_91, my friend painted my seven string bright green. Isn't he such a joker!?
lol, my mate put a 7 string together, and stuck this pink panther furr stuff on it, its .. well. its the greatest thing ever created lol.

my 7 string is missing a pot because my 6 string vol pot wore out.

so i cant play my 7 string even then the strings are hell rusty because i play it rarely.)

left hand technique (fretting hand) would be the same for guitar and bass (muscle memory for fret width excluded) its the picking and finger thing thatld be annoying
*Enter Sig Here*
For basses, check out: Yamaha BB414, Ibanez GSR200 and Squier Vintage Modified Jazz.

For amps, check out: Line 6 Studio 110, Roland Bass Cube 30 and Warwick Take 12.
You can't comment on gear until you have tried it!
Wow..this thread rambled a bit.

TS...look at the FAQ for basses. There's a nice cross section of good basses that are fairly economic. My advice is to also look at the used market for both your bass and amp. Yes, you need a bass amp and if you are going to gig with it, you need to get at least 150W or above (preferably more headroom than less).

And pretty soon the Acoustic fanboys will be in here recommending a AB50 or 200. There are man options in bass amps, but avoid the lower end Ampegs (underpowered), GKs (meh and underpowered) and Behringers (underpowered and overrated, cheap and prone to fail)

And if you check the FAQ, yes a bass will trash a guitar amp and on occasion, smoke it even if you play on the soft side. Yes, some people claim they have played through a guitar amp for YEARS, but its only because the bass gods haven't caught up with them yet and smote them with their anger. Plus a bass amp just sounds better. As pointed out many time before, guitar through bass amp = OK, bass through guitar amp= no bueno.
Wow thanks everybody for all the advice. I been doing some research. The B200 amp is looking like my best bet so far as far as amps go. I think I'll ask my friend to go with me to GC and try to find a bass, with special consideration going to the BB414. But in the end it's all about feel right?

But like I said in the first post I've got til spring break, so I'd still like some more ideas if there are more to be had. And thanks again for all the help so far