Okay so there is this rock band who is looking for a guitarist and I'm thinking about joining them. I don't even really like their music that much, but I'm thinking about joining them just so I can do shows with them and get my name out there. Then, once my name is out there, people will notice me and hopefully be interested in joining a band with me on my own.

What do you guys think about this?
There is nothing wrong with that, so long as you play well and enjoy yourself a fair bit too. The main thing here, is if you get on well with the band members or not.
If not, it'll be hard.

Other than that, it's fine. You help them out, get a name for yourself, win win, really.

Perfectly decent thing to do.
well, It sucks for the band, But yeah it is a very great possible way to join bigger bands who need you at that time.

BUT if you're not INTO the music that the band makes, Other people and the band themselves can see that, And could kick you out.

Believe me i did the exact same thing except then i got kicked out right before i found my drummer to start my own band wich i was waiting for
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Dude, I think I would know, Trivium invented Thrash, Metallica are lucky they got as far as they did piggy-backing off of Trivium's signature style.
Okay, that's cool. I was afraid that I would sound like I was just using them (which I kinda am lol), but you know what I mean...
Quote by alex0203
Okay, that's cool. I was afraid that I would sound like I was just using them (which I kinda am lol), but you know what I mean...

It 100% would not be using them if they're looking for a band =)
...it'll get their name out there, aswell. And think about it, if you DO manage to draw another band's attention, it'll be because you made the rock band sound fantastic.

And if they sound fantastic, then they'll find a new guitarist easy peasy.
I'd kill for a chance to join a semi-successful local band and leech off their rep. Also, no pressure if you're just the guitarist filling in (you probably won't be playing your songs unless you're in as a guitarist/songwriter...so it won't matter as much if people don't like it). As said before, if you're good then the band gets a good guitarst, and you get to leech off their rep...everybody wins (except for the guy you're replacing i guess) :P

Go for it OP, you could be like the dave grohl of nirvana.
Yeah, it could work, but you may be left with the problem of being associated with a type of music you don't actualy like and the only people interested in taking you on in their band after that may also play music you don't actualy like.
Actors have the same problem with type casting.
Have you tried putting your own band together?
But if they totally suck, it could totally get your name out there in the wrong way Just throwing that out there

In other words, don't join if they're not very good.
I say tell them you're interested and ask if you can jam with them to get a feel for it, then decide.
If you're not into playing the style, I say don't do it, but if you can live with it, then go for it.

Once, I was asked to join a band because someone told this band that I'm a kick-ass guitar player, but I had to turn them down because I'm a classic rock type player, and they play death metal.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Oh i forgot one big BUT... Cause if you're in theband make shure you get the big parts like all the solo's and etc so other bands would be like: ''Oh man that guy's a killer wish i had him in my band !''
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Dude, I think I would know, Trivium invented Thrash, Metallica are lucky they got as far as they did piggy-backing off of Trivium's signature style.