my proposed rig is
laney gh50l for cleans/light crunch
peavey 6505 for distorted

with a 4x12 guitar cab and 4x10 bass cab full stack.

how would i plug it all in so that i can a/b between the heads and use both cabs on each amp?

the bass cab is there coz i tune to drop A and it give a huge fat tone when combined with the guitar cab.

HELP
Quote by samlocke14
my proposed rig is
laney gh50l for cleans/light crunch
peavey 6505 for distorted

with a 4x12 guitar cab and 4x10 bass cab full stack.

how would i plug it all in so that i can a/b between the heads and use both cabs on each amp?

the bass cab is there coz i tune to drop A and it give a huge fat tone when combined with the guitar cab.

HELP

you would need an a/b box or better an aby box. you might find the bass cab is too much..i did. A lot of guitar players try to emulate bass guitar on their own which doesnt sound good live.

Edit..i dont think you could use both cabs for both. unless you split it into 2 2x12s on each. not worth it dude.
Last edited by Mezzo4te at Nov 18, 2008,
Quote by Mezzo4te
you would need an a/b box or better an aby box. you might find the bass cab is too much..i did. A lot of guitar players try to emulate bass guitar on their own which doesnt sound good live.

Edit..i dont think you could use both cabs for both. unless you split it into 2 2x12s on each. not worth it dude.

would a setup of a 4x12 for each head work? it sounds easier
If you're gonna be getting heads and cabs and switching between them then I'd recommend Radial Tonebone switching boxes.
Like this http://www.tonebone.com/tb-cabbone.htm
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
so using both cabs for both amps in unnecessary trouble, i just did some research and that confirmed that point. so now my new play is a 4x12 for the 6505 and a 4x12 or 2x12 for the laney and i will use an a/b pedal to switch between the 2. ive noticed a number of pro guitarists use a similar setup
Quote by samlocke14
so using both cabs for both amps in unnecessary trouble, i just did some research and that confirmed that point. so now my new play is a 4x12 for the 6505 and a 4x12 or 2x12 for the laney and i will use an a/b pedal to switch between the 2. ive noticed a number of pro guitarists use a similar setup

You can also use a stereo volume pedal to gradually switch between the two.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
All you have to do is figure out which head prefers each cab by itself. I don't know what 4x12 you have but if you have V30's, I'd go with the 6505 on that cab, and put the laney on the 4x10.

As far as channel switching and what sounds are coming from what amp, you can either run them both stereo 100% of the time and use the volume knob to go to a cleaner tone, or set one clean and one dirty and switch between the two amps as your channel switching. The first way is easier. As far as figuring out how you want to run things, you have to decide whether or not you prefer the sound of both amps blended together or using the best of both worlds.

You also have to keep in mind with running a stereo rig you can't sacrifice 2 mediocre amps and hope they sound great. It might be better to just buy a really nice amp.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I would say just get one 4x12 and replace 2 of the speakers with bass speakers then you can get the total sound you want, in less space, and it would be a little less to carry. Then run both heads into an a/b box, then from the a/b box out to the cab.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

^^I agree, unless you have both heads and cabs already I think it would be better to combine the costs and buy an amp which can do both.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
just tossing this out there. and i can see the tonebone is already mentioned.

unless you wire them up correctly, a low end ABy- 2 heads one cab, wont work, because you'll need to carry a load on the head not being used.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by gtr_101
Then run both heads into an a/b box, then from the a/b box out to the cab.

These go to eleven...
Just get a vadar low end cab. Has big 15's in them. Sounds good under a 4x12. But at some point it stops sounding like guitar.
Quote by gtr_101
Then run both heads into an a/b box, then from the a/b box out to the cab.

DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
my badddd i wasnt thinking, yes as people have said you need a load on the head thats not being used

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

Quote by JimPlaysGuitar

The Radial Tonebone does what you want it to; Switches two heads between one cab. Not sure about two cabs, but if it is possible, expect to be doing a bit of tap dancing when switching.
cheers guys, thanx for the input and advice (and funny pics). the whole idea of my rig is that ive got one amp thats really good at distortionand another amp thats really good at clean/crunch. not just one amp thats only ok at everything. space isnt an issaue, my parents let me drive the 4x4 with huge bootspace and ive got tonnes of room downstairs for all my gear.