Page 1 of 2
so...i'm curious. how many people in UG are studying, either directly or indirectly, "higher level" math and applied math. i guess i'll take "higher level" to mean beyond calculus III.

i'm trying to see if people who're in the same situation are getting the same feeling i'm getting...:

i'm an EE student and i've taken, formally, up to partial differential equations and Fourier Analysis. but...all the classes labeled as EE classes really intense math classes in disguise. Probability and Stats? you would think it would be easy...until you realize you have to calculate Gaussian integrals characterized by covariance matrices, using Taylor Series to expand exponentials of random variables to analyze moment generating functions...

i'm also in a systems theory class where we take Fourier and Laplace Transforms like fat kids eat cake. it's fucked, man. but right fucked.

it's gotten to the point where everything you've learned comes to a point and you almost get a sense of unity of knowledge...everything else in math before now is annoying; it's a shame so many people give up on math before they get to this point. sometimes when the world doesn't make sense, you get the feeling that these mathematical truths may, in fact, be the only truths we can rely on consistently. but at the same time, the more you learn, the less you think you really know. kind of a pain really, but extremely empowering at the same time...

...so, anyone else in that elite club of understanding?
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
I like:

Phobos (he oozes cool)

Misfits and AC/DC Covers + original recordings (jazz/punk, hardcore, "shredish").
http://advancederror.dmusic.com
I didn't know you had to take anything beyond Linear Algebra and Differential Equations for Electrical Engineering. I've taken all of Calculus and some Linear Algebra. The rest of my curriculum is full of wonderful little engineering courses where all that sh*t collides.
Quote by LordBishek

Welcome to the house of fun.

oh believe me, i've been in the house for far too long...

...sometimes till 8 in the morning after starting at 10 the night before haha. x_x

Quote by Korosu
I didn't know you had to take anything beyond Linear Algebra and Differential Equations for Electrical Engineering. I've taken all of Calculus and some Linear Algebra. The rest of my curriculum is full of wonderful little engineering courses where all that sh*t collides.

man, i couldn't imagine how much you would miss out on as an EE if you didn't take PDE's and Fourier Analysis. i would go so far as to say you're a nearly useless EE if you haven't had a formal exposition on Fourier stuff.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
I like:

Phobos (he oozes cool)

Misfits and AC/DC Covers + original recordings (jazz/punk, hardcore, "shredish").
I'm assuming those are really EE specific math courses then. I've had some Fourier theory, but nothing intense at all. Mostly enough to be able to apply it to Matlab.
Maths f*cking sucks. I have to do it every day of my life, and it makes me want to slam my balls into a drawer just to mask the pain of living.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Probability and Stats? you would think it would be easy...until you realize you have to calculate Gaussian integrals characterized by covariance matrices

**** you. Stop reminding me of probability and statistics. There's something wrong when your molecular biology course is easier than your probability course.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
seems like u feel that u have discovered nirvana lol. I'm decent at math it seems to come easy to me and most **** makes sense but most stuff I just don't see a practical application for so I don't try hard. I'm in calc now
Quote by ANGRY PIRATE
LIES!!! SLANDEROUS LIES
NOTHING IS BETTER THAN FAPPAGE!!!

Quote by SOADrox429
Uh... Sex?
Yeah electrical engo student here too. I've pretty much finished most of all the maths i need to know for my course though. After 3rd year (it's a 4-5 year course here in australia, depending if you combine it with any other degree) it all becomes applications pretty much. That's where it starts to get interesting.
a lot of people feel that math makes their life more complicated, when in fact it actually makes it more easier. Math was invented to make sense of numbers after all.

I'm in high school, no for me.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Aerospace Engineering...

I think i know what you're talking about
Quote by blynd_snyper
yes we all need answers to xboys questions hurry up goddam it

Quote by Kankuro
Damn you X-Boy!!!

Founder And Member Of The " I Don't Masturbate Club "

TURNED 18 TODAY !!! (22/02)
Chemical engineering graduate 2006, in my third year of an engineering PhD at the moment, so yeah, maths rocks!
I used to do it.
I teach Maths a little, but hopefully I'll never actually have to do it again.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by irishman
Chemical engineering graduate 2006, in my third year of an engineering PhD at the moment, so yeah, maths rocks!

I envy you. I really do. Math is truly one of the most fascinating subjects I've ever studied, I'm just not good at it at all.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
**** you. Stop reminding me of probability and statistics. There's something wrong when your molecular biology course is easier than your probability course.

yeah, actually...the reason i made this thread is because my current prob and stats hw has to do with Gaussian integrals and such. but the problem i just finished before this was solving for the PDF of a random variable that characterizes the probability of the distance of a point to the origin on another uniformly distributed PDF...ahh polar integrals...

and Yakult, in what way do you use math everyday and hate it?

and power to ya irishman...i'm toying with the idea of a PhD in EE...
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
I like:

Phobos (he oozes cool)

I'm in my second year of Electronics and Telecomm.Engineering

I have Math till next term so i guess you'd call it higher level.
Quote by phobos
Yakult, in what way do you use math everyday and hate it?

I'm in my final year of a physics w/astrophysics degree, and it's aggressively maths heavy.

It's the linear algebra I find hard because it's got stuff like:

Eigenvalue equations II: Properties of eigenvectors: orthogonality, degeneracy, as basis vectors.
Eigenvalue equations III: Differential equations as eigenvalue equations and the matrix representation Ax=ax; choosing the basis, solving the equation, the secular determinant, eigenvalues and eigenvectors.
Examples: classical coupled modes, Schrödinger wave equation
Approximate solutions to differential equations (perturbation theory): use of eigenvectors, first- and second-order through repeated substitution, problem of degeneracies.

It's like maths, but for quantum mechanics and it makes NO sense. Quantum Mechanics gives me the rage
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
2005 Mech Eng Graduate, lot's of fun maths
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
im doing the hardest sort of math you do in high school and i never liked math up until now.
Like just doing that basic **** 7-10 bored me so much but the stuff we're doing now makes you understand it all and im actually...almost enjoying math
it used to be my least favourite subject
Quote by irishman

I have hopes of getting to a PhD but my grades aren't too hot right now.
Quote by Korosu

Your best bet is to start communicating with your instructors and get some research experience. A solid relationship with someone in the department will go a long way towards helping you get into graduate school.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Nov 18, 2008,
Electrical Engineering Technologist so yeah all the stuff TS mentioned. Thank god I have a field job where I don't need any of that calculus.
Personally I'm decent at math but I don't like it. I'm only in high school academic Algebra II so it's not like I'm taking anything hard, I'd die in the level of maths that people in this thread are taking.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Quote by Rocking-Rob
C3 and C4 are where the good stuff is in a level.

I don't think I'll be doing either of those this year
Quote by StreetLight3989
Personally I'm decent at math but I don't like it. I'm only in high school academic Algebra II so it's not like I'm taking anything hard, I'd die in the level of maths that people in this thread are taking.

Not necessarily, it's still just math just more remembering formula and manipulating equations. It's not like you have to teach yourself. I think too many people get intimidated by the word "calculus" if you have the attention span you can do it.
Calculus is easy peasy.

We watched a video on Chaos Theory in enrichment today, my God, it was so cool how rules and functions can produce such complex patterns and all
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by wombifat
im doing the hardest sort of math you do in high school and i never liked math up until now.
Like just doing that basic **** 7-10 bored me so much but the stuff we're doing now makes you understand it all and im actually...almost enjoying math

Maths really picks up later on when you hit the real stuff, it's all good, but looks like TS is already there.
Did Maths at to A2 Level. Got an A - loved it! Wish i'd done Further as well

Only module that has any maths in it is biochemistry for me...
Quote by dudius

afterward i thought about it and was like "wow, i just jerked off to a chubby girl sucking off a horse. i'm disgusting".

then i watched that segment again
2nd year chem e. I have a math, chemistry, and chemical engineering course every semester til I graduate. I'm not real good at math either.

It might be because all the Professors are asian or indian and you can't understand what they're going on about, because they draw alphas and then call them arphs, but a's are arphas. Or phi is pi but pi is pi too, and theta is drawn the same way as phi according to my teacher.
Chaos theory roxxors

(did it as an option final year of my aero degree)

If you're having trouble understanding stuff though ask a different teacher - I gave up going to actual engineering maths classes at uni after the first term cos the teacher was just unteaching me all the stuff I knew from A levels. But Chaos was easy cos the teacher was on a wavelength that made sense.
Electrical Engineer here too. I'm currently in Calc III here , partial derivatives and some transforms, and then have differentials next semester. Like you said, every EE class is really just a math course in disguise.
Quote by Korosu

dont worry about it man, as Archeo Avis said, talk to your instructors, see what they say. You could always go the route I went, I initially started as a Masters, then as it was drawing to a close, things were going well, so me and my supervisor had a chat and he agreed to keep me on for the PhD, plus starting as a masters gives you the option of jumping out after a year or two if you don't really fancy it, but still having a great qualification for your efforts.
Last edited by irishman at Nov 18, 2008,
Also I just realised that the common belief about the pit is full of 14 year-old is a bit unfounded, look at the amount of us maths lovers!
Quote by wombifat

Math HL in IB?
Cause that is the hardest math ever, I used to get A's all my life in Math, now I have a 3/7 in my grade because of that damn Math HL.

I need for Electrical Engineering though.....
Last edited by Portuguese_boy at Nov 18, 2008,
Quote by irishman
Also I just realised that the common belief about the pit is full of 14 year-old is a bit unfounded, look at the amount of us maths lovers!

exactly what i meant to find out!

Quote by StreetLight3839

yeah, i know what you mean. Algebra II wasn't my favorite subject either...it's pretty tedious and it feels so meaningless. unfortunately, everything in the class is very fundamental to the rest of the math you will do later on haha. that's the thing...it's not that the math we're in is THAT hard, it's just that we've been on this earth a little longer and have had time to take all the right classes to set us up for it...so it's not that we're that much smarter so much as we're that older and therefore know more because of that.

get through this, and you'll eventually start finding the rewarding stuff soon enough, especially if you're good at it...if you don't really like it yet but you're good at it, i think you'll start to like it around when you start calculus, so at least try to get that far. painful, i know, but it's rewarding...and people who are good at math in the real world get paid very well for it
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
I like:

Phobos (he oozes cool)

Page 1 of 2