Hi guys,

I have a pair DiMarzio super distortion pickups fitted in my Les Paul copy, is it possible to fit some covers to them?
The pickups are great it's just sometimes hard to tone them down when I want to play anything a bit more mellow, so I was thinking some covers would help.

Cheers guys.
Covers won't make an awful lot of difference - if you want to tone them down try rewiring them in parallel, or installing a series/parallel toggle.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Covers won't make an awful lot of difference - if you want to tone them down try rewiring them in parallel, or installing a series/parallel toggle.

this guy is a master once again he has the wisest of answers
not many seagulls will tell you that!
Don't buy Guitar Hero.
Buy Guitar Pro.

My Gear: (That I actually use)

ESP Edwards E-CY-165 CTM
Vox Saturator
Vox AD50VT
Vox Tonelab LE
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Chrome covers will have a pretty dramatic effect on something like a super distortion but I don't think it'll be what you are looking for. The bass will become floppy and undefined while the trebles will lose their bite which, generally, isn't going to be a good thing.

Nickel covers may take the edge off the high end but the difference will be very subtle and probably won't do as much as you want it to.

If you are looking for more mellow tone try swapping your 500K volume pots with 300K. This will give you a smoother rolloff when you turn down the volume on your guitar and it'll smooth out the high end. Using a cheap (high capacitance) lead cable will also help to mellow out your tone and filter off high end as you turn down your volume. SRV and Hendrix both used very high capacitance leads so that they could get a smoother "round" tone when they turned the volume back on their guitars.
Not taking any online orders.
prob not a decent idea to much 2 SD's in the same guitar.

as always a neck pup is less in your face, but changing to a lesser gain pup will do you some justice. (maybe one with a bassy sorta tone, i found the SD to be sorta trebily)
*Enter Sig Here*
Cheers for the replys guys, after reading what you've said I'm thinking of changing the neck PUP for a Seymour Duncan SH-2n & possibly even replace the bridge with a Seymour Duncan SH-4. But not sure if I should stick with the Dimarzio in the bridge, any thoughts on these ideas guys?
I play a lot of classic rock stuff like Sabbath, AC/DC, Led Zep, I play some indie rock, some blues & stuff like Foo fighters, nirvana, green day.
Like I said I find that having super distortions in the neck & bridge can be a bit too much when I'm trying to play something bluesy or when I'm trying to get a smooth clean sound. I'm thinking that replacing the neck PUP with something like a, Seymour Duncan SH-2, would help me to get the right sound. As these pickups have a moderate output compared to the high output of the super distos, I have been playing fo around two years & this will be my first stab at modding my guitar.
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT, my guitar is a pre-lawsuit LP copy & has a mahogany body. I was thinking of the Seymours after doing searches in the forums & seeing they are a popular choice, they also seem like a good combo to get a good mix of sounds.
get an air Norton

lol (its funny because if there were any dimarzio freaks here, this thread would be full of what i just said)
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by benk1
I play a lot of classic rock stuff like Sabbath, AC/DC, Led Zep, I play some indie rock, some blues & stuff like Foo fighters, nirvana, green day.
Like I said I find that having super distortions in the neck & bridge can be a bit too much when I'm trying to play something bluesy or when I'm trying to get a smooth clean sound. I'm thinking that replacing the neck PUP with something like a, Seymour Duncan SH-2, would help me to get the right sound. As these pickups have a moderate output compared to the high output of the super distos, I have been playing fo around two years & this will be my first stab at modding my guitar.

I can tell you right now that one of the best pickup choices you can get from Seymour Duncan would be an SH-14. The Super Distortion, IMO is a bit fizzy, and more suited for 80's metal and hair metal - stuff of that sort. A good neck pickup would be an SH-1. A PAF voiced pair of pickups like those two would be perfect for you.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I can tell you right now that one of the best pickup choices you can get from Seymour Duncan would be an SH-14. The Super Distortion, IMO is a bit fizzy, and more suited for 80's metal and hair metal - stuff of that sort. A good neck pickup would be an SH-1. A PAF voiced pair of pickups like those two would be perfect for you.

forsaknazrael, cheers for the advice, I'm gonna go for the pair that you've suggested as they do seem well suited for me. Just need to find some at the right price now, think I'll get them from the states as they are much cheaper than in the UK.
Quote by benk1
forsaknazrael, cheers for the advice, I'm gonna go for the pair that you've suggested as they do seem well suited for me. Just need to find some at the right price now, think I'll get them from the states as they are much cheaper than in the UK.

?

If you're in the UK then don't bother with Duncans...look at Swineshead Pickups, probably a Warthog/Condor set.

www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk

Or have a look CorduroyEW's stuff...he's already helped you in the thread

www.rockmonkeyguitars.com
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Just been on CorduroyEW's website & read some reviews on Harmony Central, they sound amazing for the price. I will be ordering my PUP's from him, soon.
Cheers again guys for all your help.
Quote by benk1
Just been on CorduroyEW's website & read some reviews on Harmony Central, they sound amazing for the price. I will be ordering my PUP's from him, soon.
Cheers again guys for all your help.

Don't ever base anything on Harmony Central revies :/
Quote by -MintSauce-
I recommend the "Search Bar" covers.

I hear they can solve all kinds of problems

... I just google searched "search bar pickup covers" to see what you meant.

I'm such a twat

Anyway. If you're in the UK, Bare Knuckle pickups are also brilliant. A bit pricey, mind, but they're THE best. Period. If you haven't already ordered the Silverbacks, I'd say take a minute to see what they've got - if you can stretch to that price, you should. I reccomend the Mule, the Riff Raff or possibly the VHII calibrated sets to you. If you can't stretch to that price, get the Silverbacks - they're amazing too.

It might be worth getting a new amp though - nice amp though yours may be, it's no dream tone machine.
Update,

I went for the Silverbacks, got them fitted with some push-pull tone knobs for coil splitting. They are amazing, totally worth it, they have transformed the sound/tone I get from my guitar. Anyone looking for new pickups checkout Rockmonkeyguitars.com , chris offers fantastic service at a good price.
Last edited by benk1 at Jan 22, 2009,