...and I want to know what I need to get. Up till now I've just been using GarageBand on my iMac, what else do I need to get to get a better tone in my "studio" (that is, my dorm room?) I have a limited budget, so no $1000 portable studios please.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
ummm try an rp150 its good for a distortion pedal and a recording device. Or if you want wah and a whammy pedal or volume pedal get the rp250(i have that) it works out just fine. And download a software called audacity its for free and it works very well. Oh and the price for the 150 is $100 and the 250 is $150.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG-350 YE w/ Super Dist. and PAF pro pups
ESP LTD KH-602
Dean db razorback
Fender Squier Strat
Epiphone goth bass
acoustic unknown brand
Digitech Rp250
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt
get an audio interface.

i myself have an alesis multimix 16 Firewire, which was about 400€.

garageband itself is definitely a working program you could use. if you want to go more advanced get a copy of Steinberg's Cubase.
Quote by bfredder92
ummm try an rp150 its good for a distortion pedal and a recording device. Or if you want wah and a whammy pedal or volume pedal get the rp250(i have that) it works out just fine. And download a software called audacity its for free and it works very well. Oh and the price for the 150 is $100 and the 250 is $150.

Isn't that a multi-fx pedal? I'm not really a huge fan of the tone of those.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
OK so can I ask what an audio interface does (is it like a microphone?)
Quote by Cathbard
Read the pinned posts and see Tweaks Guide in my sig.

I suggest something smaller since you are a one man band doing this simply as a hobby. Since this gear can get quite expensive I suggest starting low.

Start looking into the following:
Studio monitors such as a set of KRK Rokit 5
An interface like an EMU 0404, PreSonus Inspire, or Mackie Onyx Satellite (not for Vista)
A mic or two. The Shure SM57 is a nice all around mic to have.

A sequencer (software) is what you work with most of the time. Dont cheap out on one and pick up one you feel comfortable working with. The demos on most sites are for 30 days and are nice since you can try a few out and see how you like them. I am a fan of Cakewalk Sonar as they have many price ranges and the program works well with both audio and MIDI.
Reaper is another choice for beginners which is very low in price but still has some good features.
Cubase is yet another popular choice.

Add cables and stands to the price list and you are right around your budget already...and this is a very basic setup.