Hi,

Im running a commercial event tonight, and ive got 2 bands playing some cover songs. The gig is being filmed. Is the legal? or does some contribution need to go towards the PRS or MCPS?

Cheers guys
Don't make a profit, credit the artist.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
It should be as log as you don't try t pass the songs off as original.
Current Gear:
Michael Kelly Club Custom 5 Acoustic Bass
Dean Performer Series PE-QM-TGE
Varrios Basic 5 Bass
Acoustic B450 Combo Amp
I support the 2nd Amendment. I don't support people who abuse it.
Don't think so. I think it's only illegal if you record the cover song, don't acknowledge it as a cover or mention the original composer, and then sell it as your own. AKA music plagiarism. Then they will call the Dean of Students, and you'll get expelled. AKA fined $25,000+.
High as tits
no it's completely fine to perform other peoples' songs. just give credit where credit is due and you'll be fine.
from daylight...
...into darkness
As long as you dont sell it without the artists permission.

playing a cover live is fine. filming a live cover is fine.
so if you record a cover, credit the artist but sell it is that illegal? how can you find out how to give royaltys to the artists?
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul 1960's Tribute Plus
Schecter s-1
Marshall JCM900 100WATT HEAD
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Tanglewood exotic electro acoustic
Westfield Bass
In the UK you needs a license for each some you cover. The artist will get royalties from and profits relating to the song.

All unsigned bands do covers at some point, they need a license too but lables/artists turn a blind eye.

To be honest you should be asking the guys incharge of this, not pit monkeys. If you google them their site will come up with all the info you need.
Quote by nightwalker903
so if you record a cover, credit the artist but sell it is that illegal? how can you find out how to give royaltys to the artists?

I remember years ago on Edge 102 they were talking to Alien Ant Farm about their cover they did of Michael Jackson's "Smooth Criminal" and AAF said that they didn't have to get permission from Mike and even if he didn't want them to do it they could, as long as they aknowledged it as a cover. They profited huge from it and I'm sure they didn't get permission.
You have to call the label that the artist is signed to for permission, they will also handle any royalty issues and list them on your album as the composer, and your band as the performer.
High as tits
Oh, just popped into my mind. If you record a "cover" of a song, but you compose it differently than it is originally played, I think you bypass any copyright and royalty issues.

Case in Point - Ryan Adam's "cover" of 'Wonderwall'.
High as tits
ah fair

we spoke to a label of a band called the sex slaves. they a small label and said we could use their song without paying royalties. but this was through myspace. their album is out in shops so what should we do
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul 1960's Tribute Plus
Schecter s-1
Marshall JCM900 100WATT HEAD
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Tanglewood exotic electro acoustic
Westfield Bass
Quote by Suicidal_Brick
You have to call the label that the artist is signed to for permission, they will also handle any royalty issues and list them on your album as the composer, and your band as the performer.

+100

if the show is going on the air you will need to pay the people...
Quote by rabidguitarist
Don't make a profit, credit the artist.

This is the ONLY way to do it without being sued.

It's also illegal to use music without permission if you're trying to enter a contest with prizes of a certain value (I know film contests require you to give documentation of permission from any copyrighted work, though many would rather have you use original music.)