This is not a "what bass should i get " thread, more of a generale guidence question. I'm going to be getting a "high end" bass some time next year after the summer. Now this will be really my first, what you would call professional bass, hopefully. My budget is going to be around $1-2000, what brands/manufacturers should i consider loooking at in the price braket? I want to start doing this now so i can somehow make an informed, well thought out and sane decision before I drop that much coin on a new beat stick. If music/sound/style makes any differance, I'm really in love with that late 70s/early 80s tone on most stadium rock/new wave records like Queen,Nazareth, April Wine, Billy Idol, Peter Schilling, Police, Devo ect. I want to hear your input because i really have no experince with basses that go over the $1000 celing. So who should i look at /try out?
in terms of the "big brands" you should probably be looking at fender, musicman, warwick - although the latter might be a little too expensive.

With that sort of price bracket though, its really the small boutique brands that shine. why not check out the equipment used by the bassists that have your desired tone?

edit: the guy from nazareth was known for using alembic basses, john deacon from queen used mainly fender for ages, although he also had a custom kramer and a musicman stingray.
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
Last edited by jeowy at Nov 18, 2008,
custom shop 59' p-bass relic, 'nuff said.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
I'd get an american made Fender Jazz bass, soooo nice, and only gonna cost you around $1,000 or so. (BTW, it's not just a bass for Jazz music :P)
Lyrics: Time wasted between solos.

After a mindboggling 3-hour Steve Vai concert, I had to listen to some brainless guitar playing... so I put on Nevermind...

Jesus Rocks!
Stingray or Fender Jazz I'd have to say, both have incredible tone. Warwicks are pretty incredible but I am yet to get my hands on one
Quote by Applehead
Next summer? stop GASing and go practice!!

****ing true. I also want a professional-quality bass at some point in the future, but that's not for at least a year so... useless thresd.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Quote by NakedBassist
****ing true. I also want a professional-quality bass at some point in the future, but that's not for at least a year so... useless thresd.

Well i want time to try them out and consider these high end manufactures that I know NOTHING about and have ZERO experince with. I'm not gonna instantly drop 2G on something i have no reseach or experince with.
Quote by Pizza The Hut
Well i want time to try them out and consider these high end manufactures that I know NOTHING about and have ZERO experince with. I'm not gonna instantly drop 2G on something i have no reseach or experince with.

That's fine, I was just saying that this thread is arbitrary. Do all the research you want, I encourage it; I don't think I've ever made a significant purchase without careful research. The thread's just like saying "when I grow up I'm going to have this car" or something to that effect.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Everything, really. That's the sweet spots for instruments, IMO. A cheaper bass is going to get you poorer quality, and a more expensive one will probably be more expensive largely because of aesthetics or the name on the headstock. Also, This puts you into the range where you can look at stuff that guitar center doesn't carry, or usually doesn't stock. This also opens up a whole bunch of smaller builders and lesser known companies to you.

edit: Now that I think about it, Talkbass.com might be a better place to ask this, because not a lot of people on UG are going to have experience with many basses in that price range. There, they'll be able to show you all the smaller brands with really awesome, unique stuff.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Nov 18, 2008,
Quote by NakedBassist
That's fine, I was just saying that this thread is arbitrary. Do all the research you want, I encourage it; I don't think I've ever made a significant purchase without careful research. The thread's just like saying "when I grow up I'm going to have this car" or something to that effect.

This is his research. he is asking us for some brands that would be worth his time to look into, and not just making a declaration.

but i have to agree that an american made fender jazz, or sting ray would be worth your time to look into and try out if you can.
It is still my opinion that a lightning rod atop of a church shows a lack of confidence.

Quote by watchingmefall
Love has no boundaries. Except maybe dead people and liking your mom.
peavey cirus bass. (made in peavey custom shop)

Pros: its awesome

Cons: They won't make it til you order it. Could be waiting 3 or more months.
Well say your looking into more popular well known higher end brands like warwick, musicman, fender whatever youll most likely be able to find it second hand for alot less then its price new. that gives morre to spend on a nice amp to play it through, some new pedals to enjchance your tone. Or even a car to transport your whole new nice second hand shiny bass in. Keep scanning ebay and craiglist and what not find yourself a bargain and save yourself soem money next year.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by riffer_raffer
I'd get an american made Fender Jazz bass, soooo nice, and only gonna cost you around $1,000 or so. (BTW, it's not just a bass for Jazz music :P)

For what you get, the signle humbucker Stingrays and the 2008 Fender AmStandard basses are a STEAL. The 2008 Fenders stand out because of the AWESOME bridge, amazing necks, and SUPER sweet pickups. Seriosuly, the new string through body option just adds that much more versatility to the fender line. And I mean, you can't EVER go wrong with a stingray IMHO!@
Quote by Applehead
Next summer? stop GASing and go practice!!

After your comment TS in the other thread, this.

And by that time you'll be at a point where your bass playing, where it will make it easy for you go out ot a music store, look at basses in your budget and find the right one that works for you