Is there such thing as good and bad music or is it all a matter of taste?

Page 1 of 2
Yes, imo, there is such thing as bad music. For example: Miley Cyrus.
S T R A W B E R R I E S
<333

sex

Strawberries
Do you know Dutch hardcore? That computerbull****? If you can call it music, it's bad music.
It's pretty much a matter of taste, every artist has a fan or else they wouldn't keep making music.
Its a matter of taste. /thread.
My Gear:

Washburn 6 String Bantam Series

Fender Mexican P-Bass

Farida Stratocaster

Peavey TNT115S
Well if you look at it, most music considered "bad" you only know of because it is popular so obviously millions of people like it, meaning it cant be bad to them, just not to your personal taste.
So i conclude... there are so may genres and sub genres out there for a reason, if you dont like it, dont buy it.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
As far as style goes it's a matter of taste. You'd be a liar if you said that you haven't heard a band that, unquestionably, sucks. There's bad music within every genre.
No.

Music is music, and only people flaming on others for liking it give it the "bad" reputation.

This is also why I see music critique in the media as a flawed system. A critic for a classic rock magazine may give a new metal album 2*, whereas a metal magazince critic might give it 5*.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
speaking of technicality there is good and bad artistically no, art is objective
Don't you try and ask me your expiration date
Plans that forgot me 99 times
you'll be the one who opens the gate.

- Cedric Bixler Zavala

Founder of the UG RHPS fanclub....

to join simply amend sig..
No such thing as bad music, being music means it sounds good... However there is bad noise :p AKA Rap, Country, and Fall Out Boy
There is no such thing as a bad "taste" in music. To each his own. But there is such a thing as bad EXECUTION of music. If a band or group does not execute their song well, then that is bad music, but if they intended it to be that way and if a certain group enjoys their music, well, I cannot call that "bad music."
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
- James Marshall Hendrix

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but you can free your mind."
- Bob Marley
To a certain extent there is bad music. But other than that, if you just don't like the music, it can still be cool too see someone who is passionate about what their doing. Miley Cyrus isn't really passionate. She is just a face and she does it for the money.
To me, it's a matter of taste to a certain extent. Some people just can't make music (insert hyperlinks to multiple youtube videos here)
Quote by Kazue00
No such thing as bad music, being music means it sounds good... However there is bad noise :p AKA Extreme Death Metal with extra death, my voice, and Fall Out Boy

Fixed that one for you. I love Country Rap ...
There is music that has been recorded poorly.
There is music that has been mastered poorly.
There is music that has been written poorly- unoriginal, emotionless, and played without the desire to play it from the artist.
There are lyrics that completely lack substance.
There is music that has been recorded for the sole purpose of getting another record label's single to chart.
Quote by dgme92

This is also why I see music critique in the media as a flawed system. A critic for a classic rock magazine may give a new metal album 2*, whereas a metal magazince critic might give it 5*.

Any criticism of art is just the writer giving his opinion. The point is to find critics whose tastes you trust and seek out their reviews of new music. I don't think any music critic (except for maybe Robert Christgau) would claim to be giving objective scores when they review an album.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
If the artists just can't play theire instruments for sh** then you'd could consider that 'bad music'.
but on the other hand: rubbish made by people who cannot really play an instrument may well belong to another section of "noise" instead of music.

so... if you are really talking about MUSIC, well executed, passionate music then I would say there is no thing like bad music.

BUT, a few years back when I was 14/15 and I tried to make it as a succesful DJ(ahum) I made some tracks with a program called fruityloops. The stuff I made on there could definitely be defined as music. it had rythm (sort off) and ...flair or something like that but you couldn't call it good by no means. That wasnt even a matter of taste anymore it was just balls... alot of what I made back then was real "bad music". so it is possible.
Quote by djrue211
There is no such thing as a bad "taste" in music. To each his own. But there is such a thing as bad EXECUTION of music. If a band or group does not execute their song well, then that is bad music, but if they intended it to be that way and if a certain group enjoys their music, well, I cannot call that "bad music."

What if this perceived bad execution is actually the way the artist intended it?
Last edited by agreth_3rd at Nov 18, 2008,
scales are made for pleasant sounding music. So is tuning. so yes if you hit random notes on an instrument that isn't tuned then I'd say its bad music
Quote by Will-kun
BUT, a few years back when I was 14/15 and I tried to make it as a succesful DJ(ahum) I made some tracks with a program called fruityloops. The stuff I made on there could definitely be defined as music. it had rythm (sort off) and ...flair or something like that but you couldn't call it good by no means. That wasnt even a matter of taste anymore it was just balls... alot of what I made back then was real "bad music". so it is possible.

But where do you draw the line? How do you draw the line?
Quote by agreth_3rd
What is this perceived bad execution is actually the way the artist intended it?

If this perceived bad execution is actually the way the artist intended it to be, well then heaven help his soul, because I really don't know how to answer that question. The question then is, if he intends it to be poorly executed, then do people listen and like it?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
- James Marshall Hendrix

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but you can free your mind."
- Bob Marley
Quote by GaijinFoot
scales are made for pleasant sounding music. So is tuning. so yes if you hit random notes on an instrument that isn't tuned then I'd say its bad music

But different cultures have different scales and different musical guidelines.
Quote by Will-kun
If the artists just can't play theire instruments for sh** then you'd could consider that 'bad music'.
but on the other hand: rubbish made by people who cannot really play an instrument may well belong to another section of "noise" instead of music.

so... if you are really talking about MUSIC, well executed, passionate music then I would say there is no thing like bad music.

Define music then.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by djrue211
If this perceived bad execution is actually the way the artist intended it to be, well then heaven help his soul, because I really don't know how to answer that question. The question then is, if he intends it to be poorly executed, then do people listen and like it?

Well, a lot of rock music is supposed to be rough, edgy, unfinished....punk, garage rock etc.
Quote by dgme92
No.

Music is music, and only people flaming on others for liking it give it the "bad" reputation.

Well your not meant to take it as gospel, its the reviewers thoughts and opinions.
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
I think there is a such thing as lazy, uninspired music. This would be your bubble gum pop and misogynistic ganster rap where they only rap about their money and women. I think a lot of times the listener is the lazy one too, if all they want is easily digestable music just made to be the next MTV hit and then never heard from again, that is what musicians are going to give you. That being said, as long as the artist is talented at what they do and do not take shortcuts and sell themselves and their audience short, then it is just about taste and there is no bad music only different. However, sad to say, right now their is a lot of bad music, just turn on MTV, if you can actually find music on that station. All these artists are not worried about their music being the best they can make it, only that they can market it right and their video will be played. That is where you will see the existence of lazy uninspired music created for lazy uninspired listeners.
Quote by skeptopotamus
There is music that has been written poorly- unoriginal, emotionless, and played without the desire to play it from the artist.
There is music that has been recorded for the sole purpose of getting another record label's single to chart.

Emotion depends on the listener. Everyone rants and raves about how unemotional shredders and metal guitarists are, but they may have put huge amounts of emotion into their work, and it's up to the listener to get an emotional response. I went a bit off topic, but still.

I agree otherwise.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by ak10
I think there is a such thing as lazy, uninspired music. This would be your bubble gum pop and misogynistic ganster rap where they only rap about their money and women...

As opposed to Hinder or most every hair metal band, who sing/sang about totally different themes.
Quote by Drybananna
Yes, imo, there is such thing as bad music. For example: Miley Cyrus.

Exactly!

__.-~~~~-.|___|___|__
_/********\_|___|___|
|*/**\**/**`~~~~~-.__
||****|**0*********@_
||****|***.********|_
\|****|***\*******/__
_\****/**/`~~~~~~`|__
_('--'""`)__|___|___|
Quote by Jesus
LedDaveZeppelin, You are so awesome.
Quote by aaciseric
Fixed that one for you. I love Country Rap ...

I tought I was the only one
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Quote by civildp1
As opposed to Hinder or most every hair metal band, who sing/sang about totally different themes.

That would also fall into the lazy uninspired catagory. There are some bands you can tell are really only making music so they can be famous.
Quote by ak10
That would also fall into the lazy uninspired catagory. There are some bands you can tell are really only making music so they can be famous.

Party music is intended to be used as such. I don't think T-pain would make any claim to be making high art.
Quote by skeptopotamus

Quote by ak10

OK, hypothetical situation:

An artist records a song for the sole purpose of creating a hit. Absolutely no emotion goes into the composition process. The lyrics are bashed out in 5 minutes...completely uninspired, just your average, run of the mill lines.

BUT...for some reason this song strikes a chord with its listeners...perhaps even life changing for some.

Can you really judge a song on the effort and emotion that went into the writing process? I guarantee that the reverse scenario is even more common. Thousands of songwriters pour their emotions into every song they write and yet still don't have any fans.
Quote by agreth_3rd
OK, hypothetical situation:

An artist records a song for the sole purpose of creating a hit. Absolutely no emotion goes into the composition process. The lyrics are bashed out in 5 minutes...completely uninspired, just your average, run of the mill lines.

BUT...for some reason this song strikes a chord with its listeners...perhaps even life changing for some.

Can you really judge a song on the effort and emotion that went into the writing process? I guarantee that the reverse scenario is even more common. Thousands of songwriters pour their emotions into every song they write and yet still don't have any fans.

That is what I was talking about saying that the listeners are often the lazy uninsired ones as well. But can you think of a situation where that has acutally happend. Usually artists get what they put into it. So it may connect with the MTV crowd but I doubt that people over the age of 14 lives will be changed with it. You can judge a song based on effort an emotion. There are songs I do not really like but I respect because you can feel the emotion and honesty from the artist. If the songwriter pours their emotion into a song and it is not a hit, I guarantee artists who are not in it for the wrong reasons will not care as much as you think. I'll give you an example, the artist Joshua Radin, actually used basically all the money he had to buy himself out of his record deal because the record company wanted him to make his music more for radio hits, so he bought himself out rather that water down his music for money. Now his music may not be your taste, but you have to respect an artist like that. So he may not get as many fans as he would have otherwise but I guarantee he is still going to pour all his emotion into his songs, and the fans he does get will appreciate him that much more.
Page 1 of 2