Hey guys,

I am currently practicing sweep picking and looking for a little help using a metronome for it. I recently got over the learning curves of the basic technique of it all (2 months ago) and i think i reached my speed limit currently with not using a metronome, by slow muscle memory and continuation of shapes.

One person when i come to mind as a good sweep picker, or has a good technique is Marty Friedman. And im slowly emulating his style because i think it's the best for what i want to do.

The problem i find with sweeping with a metronome is i lose track with the beat, with normal alt picking training i pick by quarter notes, eighth notes, sixtenths etc. With sweeping i just don't know where to start (with a basic 5 string sweep as an example).(or 5 string lick with a pull off/hammer on, on the high e string )

If anyone has any tips/licks on sweeping or can help me with this little problem it would be really cool.
Last edited by Mix Master at Nov 18, 2008,
use power tabs and tab the sweep patterns

i write sweeps in 8th note triplet, 16th nots and 16th note triplets and rarley 32nd notes

there you can screw around with the tempo and time sigs.
Personally I just turn the metronome up until every beat syncs with the note I'm playing.

I'm new to this as well, I started at 144 bpm two weeks ago.

Currently at 180 bpm, but for sweep picking thats still slow. Welcome to the skill grind, its sooo worth it
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
Thank you, that thread really helped and i think it will help alot of people