So I started teaching my girlfriend to play bass. I'm a guitar player, and not much of a bass player, so I'm not really sure the best way to teach her. We started last night, and in an hour she went from not knowing how to hold it to being able to plunk along with a 12 bar blues, and understanding the progression and essentially what she's trying to accomplish (keeping the groove going and providing a harmonic base).

So far, so good, but where should we go from here? What's the best way for her to start developing a feel for rhythm, etc.?
Quote by xtapol
So I started teaching my girlfriend to play bass. I'm a guitar player, and not much of a bass player, so I'm not really sure the best way to teach her. We started last night, and in an hour she went from not knowing how to hold it to being able to plunk along with a 12 bar blues, and understanding the progression and essentially what she's trying to accomplish (keeping the groove going and providing a harmonic base).

So far, so good, but where should we go from here? What's the best way for her to start developing a feel for rhythm, etc.?

Get a real teacher?
Thanks, very helpful. She's not serious about it at this point, she just wants to mess around, and I want to show her the basics.
Quote by xtapol
Thanks, very helpful. She's not serious about it at this point, she just wants to mess around, and I want to show her the basics.

If you don't know the basics then how can you teach them? You said you were a guitar player:

guitar =/= bass
No, he said he is not much of a bass player. He also has a bass. Thus I feel he knows enough about the basics to teach something.

My opinion, direct her here to read some things on basic bass theory and tech. Help when needed, but allow a fairly self taught approach letting her learn as you play together.
Quote by TormentedRx
No, he said he is not much of a bass player. He also has a bass. Thus I feel he knows enough about the basics to teach something.

My opinion, direct her here to read some things on basic bass theory and tech. Help when needed, but allow a fairly self taught approach letting her learn as you play together.

Fair enough, guess it's not a good idea to skim read an op, good idea though.
I've started teaching my girlfriend to speak French. I'm more of an English speaker myself, but I've got a dictionary.
Quote by smb
I've started teaching my girlfriend to speak French. I'm more of an English speaker myself, but I've got a dictionary.

this man also raises a humorous point, when I first started playing bass and learnt a little bit of guitar I tried giving a few people lessons but it failed very badly, thus leading back to my first post.
I'm not a beginner at the guitar, and I know more than my share of music theory. I know what the bass is supposed to do, and I know how to technically do it.

What I'm asking for is good methods for practicing these on the bass. It's not an issue of knowing what to do, it's an issue of knowing how to get GOOD at it. I don't play bass frequently enough to really have a good grasp on that side of things.

TormentedRx, thanks for the only reasonable response. The rest of you, damn, you're touchy.
Quote by xtapol

lets hope shes not like that about the relationship.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
The fact is simple, reply with a caustic post or not, you cannot teach someone bass.

While i don't entirely agree(i'm not sure what you mean, Jazz), self-taught is the way to go if she's not going to get a bass teacher. As for getting good, well, practice. And finding some literature about techniques could help.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Quote by samskii
While i don't entirely agree(i'm not sure what you mean, Jazz), self-taught is the way to go if she's not going to get a bass teacher. As for getting good, well, practice. And finding some literature about techniques could help.

To practise you have to know what your doing and unless you're capable of learning yourself (and I mean yourself) or have a proffesional to guide you then it's really not going to work.

My opinion: Leave the teaching to the pro's.