Anyone doing this? Ideally I'd go out and buy an F-50 Head and a 2x12, plug an attenuator in there and be ready for anything. Thing is, I can't find an f-50 head locally and there are a lot of good combos to be had(60 watt 6505, JSX, Bugera, etc). Can you put a hot plate on most combos or is the cabinet usually hard wired to the head?
Why do you want to use an attenuator?

There's a master volume on the amp. Just use that.

I never recommend using attenuators to bring an amp down to bedroom levels.

And as far as how the speaker is wired on combos...sometimes it's a jack that you can plug into an attenuator, sometimes it's wired straight to the head. It just depends.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Why do you want to use an attenuator?

There's a master volume on the amp. Just use that.

I never recommend using attenuators to bring an amp down to bedroom levels.

Why? I thought it was a good way to get good tone from an overpowered amp...like most amps are these days...I'm not convinced that they cause harm by simply loading the power tubes...
Quote by DoctorSolo
Why? I thought it was a good way to get good tone from an overpowered amp...like most amps are these days...I'm not convinced that they cause harm by simply loading the power tubes...
No. The further you attenuate your amp, the more it affects your tone. You begin losing high end, it gets mushy, and you lose a lot of the dynamics in your tone. This happens with any attenuator, when you attenuate it that much.

Quote by haz_uk
why not? that's what they're for.

No, that's what you've been told they are there for. They're best used to bring a cranked amp down a few decibels, like in a band situation, just so you're not getting power tube distortion at the expense of drowning out your band mates.
I do agree that they should not be used for a large volume cut...That's why I'm not jazzed about getting anything larger than 60 watts...
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
Power amp distortion on a preamp gain based amp is useless (IMO).

Yes, but at the same time, even those amps need to get their amp section worked a bit. Any tube amp needs to be turned up to at least slightly louder than conversational level of volume.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Nov 18, 2008,
Quote by DoctorSolo
I do agree that they should not be used for a large volume cut...That's why I'm not jazzed about getting anything larger than 60 watts...

? 60 watts is still really loud. My 40 watt tube amp never gets turn past 3-4 to get over my drummer.
It sounded like you were going to use it to bring down your volume to bedroom levels. Which I don't think would be a wise purchase.
Agreed. So it WOULD it be ok to use an attenuator to bring volumes from "non-hearing-safe volume"down to "slightly louder than conversational volume" I gather? or should I just buy a 5 watt amp and an OD? :-P
And no I'm just looking to go deaf slower. I don't noodle in my moms basement much these days, lol.
Quote by DoctorSolo
Agreed. So it WOULD it be ok to use an attenuator to bring volumes from "non-hearing-safe volume"down to "slightly louder than conversational volume" I gather? or should I just buy a 5 watt amp and an OD? :-P

Well, "non-hearing safe volume" to slightly louder than conversational volume, IMO, is a big jump in volume.

Maybe your band doesn't play all that loud? My drummer is loud as hell, so we turn up really loud.

I'm talking about playing at ear-splitting-levels, then using the attenuator to bring it down to gig-sound-man friendly levels. Sound guys hate loud bands, haha. They want to run everything through the PA.
Quote by Tempoe
For low volumes the 5 watt or a good SS will be better.

I never said I play at low volumes guys. I wanted to use an attenuator for exactly what forsaken is talking about. At the volumes I practice at(quite a bit louder than conversational volume IME actually) I just want full, clear distortion(oxymoron..or is it?!) and less-fizzy/buzzy/muddy tone without shaking the windows...

...and yeah I'll probably buy a 50+watt amp...I don't like having to trade up...
Quote by forsaknazrael
Yes, but at the same time, even those amps need to get their amp section worked a bit. Any tube amp needs to be turned up to at least slightly louder than conversational level of volume.

While this is true, it has more to do with the speakers than the power section itself. Even SS amps suffer below conversational level, due to the poor bass/treble performance at those levels.

Most 100w amps will sound good running at 1w, but even 1w through an efficient 1x12 can lead to eventual hearing damage.
Quote by The Atomic Ass
While this is true, it has more to do with the speakers than the power section itself. Even SS amps suffer below conversational level, due to the poor bass/treble performance at those levels.

Most 100w amps will sound good running at 1w, but even 1w through an efficient 1x12 can lead to eventual hearing damage.

This is true too, but it's not solely because of the speaker. The power section IS a factor in it.