Hi,

I've been playing guitar for a few years now. When I first started, I was more focused on lead because my band had a rhythm guitar player who was not really interested in lead. However, in my new band we have a great guitar player, so I'd like to learn how to play rhythm better for when he wants to play lead. I was just wondering if there are some articles, lessons, threads, etc. about exercises for rhythm guitar, artists to listen to, techniques to employ, or anything else anyone can think of.

Of course, I'm not asking about just power chords and eighth-note palm muting here. I'd like to be able to play rhythm guitar just as dynamically as lead guitar, and to know when to fill in the space if I need to or step back a bit if there's too much going on in the song... I think a better way of putting it is "I want to learn how to be a good rhythm guitar player" rather than just "I want to learn rhythm guitar."

So yes, if you know any lessons then please link them! Or maybe tell me some songs I can listen to/learn to pick up on many rhythm guitar techniques.

I'm into all kinds of genres, but the rhythm types I'd like to learn would be classic rock/alt rock/blues/jazz/maybe some softer alt or pop type of thing.

Thanks
UG should have some rhythm guitar lessons.

here
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
the lcm rgt electric guitar exams have a rhythm guitar section that i recommend
dude just look at the stuff Zacky Vengeance from A7X does.... i'd say that as fast and precise as he plays the rhythms that his parts in the songs may be harder the Syn's... just my opinion
✠I use emotion for the many and reserve reason for the few
✠Adolf Hitler✠
What's "lcm rgt"? Do you have a link or something like that to the specific article/section you're talking about?

I have looked at the lessons on UG, but they don't seem to really be what I'm looking for. Like I said, I can play basic rhythm guitar. I'm just trying to develop my rhythm abilities (in the end, my goal is to be able to just improvise a really cool rhythm for when someone else is playing lead or when the singer is singing... something along those lines)
3 bands that people could learn a lot from in terms of interplay (filling in and stepping back are when necessary) are the rolling stones, acdc and guns n' roses. if you watch the rolling stones live you'd notice that keith rarely plays the same rhythm parts in the studio and live, he just plays around, swaps different rhythmical and strumming patterns, ads little lead-like licks most of the time consisting of little parts of chords or double stops and it all works great with what the other guitarists doing.
Last edited by kr1stians at Nov 18, 2008,
I dont understand lead guitar. I started playing rythm with metallica songs I would always play kirts riffs, i would like to know the exact meaning of lead I think it would help because I understand that rythm is playing with a drum beat like adding emphasis with the snare and base or what not. What do you need to listen for when playing lead.
^solos and fills are leads. A 2 guitar band might have the lead guitar player playing rythem like hammit doubles up with heitfield but he does the solos and if something breaks from rythem a lead or a fill hammet covers that while hetfeild plays the rythem still. So just because your lead doesnt mean your only lead and if your rythem only rythem. In a nad like Ozzy randy rhoads would be considered lead guitar but he plays rythem intros rthem riffs as well not only his epic solos and fills right? Its not neccisarlly black and white rythem and lead positions.

To the TS I would suggest learning a lot about chords chord constrution and learn rythem parts of songs you like. An amazing rythem guitarist is Bob Weir from the grateful dead. He doesnt sound very amazing at first but then when you think of how many ****ing chords he knows and how he keeps the bass and Jerry Garcia backed so well you see his true worth. Just keep learning about chords. A lead player has licks up his sleve like i know the pentatonic and can play in key and make due with if i got nothing else in that particular song. A rythem player would benefit from being able to recognise/know all the chords in the key and know all the relative minor chords and subbstitutions and variations and such. Focus on having those tricks up your sleve.
Last edited by /-\liceNChains at Nov 18, 2008,
Chords are what you're looking for to start

learn what chords are in what key, learn all your major and minor chords if you dont already
Quote by kr1stians
3 bands that people could learn a lot from in terms of interplay (filling in and stepping back are when necessary) are the rolling stones, acdc and guns n' roses. if you watch the rolling stones live you'd notice that keith rarely plays the same rhythm parts in the studio and live, he just plays around, swaps different rhythmical and strumming patterns, ads little lead-like licks most of the time consisting of little parts of chords or double stops and it all works great with what the other guitarists doing.

That's pretty much what I'm going for, at least for now. I've never been a huge fan of the Rolling Stones, but I do have a few of their albums and I'll check it out for sure. Are there any specific songs where he employs these techniques, or is it just generally "there" in all of Richards' playing?

Any other guitarists with a similar reputation for being great rhythm players? Or lessons on how to use their techniques?

To Freepower: I'll definitely check out that thread. Sounds like a great idea, based on the dearth of rhythm guitar material on UG (from what I've seen).