Hey, the guitarist of a band i've been gigging with recently, (real nice guys), is offering me his old head (MARSHALL G100RCD head) for £80, with footswitch and power lead.

He bought it about a year and a half ago for about £115 and spent about £25 on it when some wiring needed replacing (which i had done through strings and things) and he said "it never failed on me and i think for the money its a real decent sound".

I actually used it for the last gig i played, i like the distortion sound, the british tone. and it seemed in quite good condition.

My question is: should i buy it? is it a good price?

I currently have a Cube 60...............

cheers in advance
Quote by centorium

i love green day,sure they're mostly power cords but for begginer,good they are
Quote by PlayMadness
Spent too much time in the talk like Yoda thread, you have.

Your cube 60 owns it.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I think it's like an MG series from before the MG series was introduced. Most likely better than the current MG series. Give it a go, for £80, who cares.
These go to eleven...
i was going to use my cube as my practice amp, and this one for gigging (using other peoples cabs). on the cube for distortion i use the 'brit combo' modelling, so this would seem a logical buy......
or not?
Quote by centorium

Quote by PlayMadness

When I first started gigging, I used my brother's G30RCD combo. Complete and utter crap. Don't. Just don't.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Brit Combo on a Cube is actually a Vox AC30...

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
It's not a logical buy, because the Marshall doesn't sound like a brit combo, more like a **** combo. Even though it'd be a stack
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
lol, sorry didnt mean 'brit combo', i meant the 'classic' one i think , havent used it in a while, sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by centorium

Quote by PlayMadness

the head will give enbough power to gig on without the usual problems you get with solid states at higher volume levels. Also, its' £80 for a head you like the tone for - what's to lose?
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
The 'Brit Stack' is modelled on a Plexi or a JCM 800...The latter methinks.
A G series/MG series will not even come close to how the 'Brit Stack' sounds, they have similarities, but they aren't the same.
You'll either like the change in tone or hate it.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Id spend 80 notes on anything else - some nice headphones, beer, some pet animal etc.

All those things would keep their value better - before you ask - if you drink canned beer, you'll be able to sell the metal for recycling and gain money back from that - as well as having a damn good time.
You could put that 80 aside for a new amp fund. for one that is freakin sweet.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
my old g50cd sits on a shelf.

you can save for something better. if you need more power, then what's your budget?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
About all they are good for is if you need the to run a modeller into. I would probably pass.
I say that when you next see your mate you stand him at one end of the room and tell him you need to have a quick think over the other side of the room. Once you are at opposite sides of the room, you run at him, full speed, and kick him in the crotch so hard his nuts come out of his nose.

Then tell him that was for offering you such a terrible amp.

Then step on his hand in case he forgot.

Then you put £80 in the "I'm not going to buy a sh*t G100RCD head - I'm going to buy something better" jar
NO! i have one, just turn down the vol(not the master, but the boost) treb 10, bass 2, mid 10, contour is 4, and gain is 1 oclock. duuude thats legit slash tone right there!!! also, if you're using a cab under $500, it will be utter shit, get a very clean sounding cab and slash tone is yours my boy! lol
Quote by darkarbiter7
Your cube 60 owns it.
.....oh lord.
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
reported
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011