Page 1 of 2
did anyone else see the ultimate band thing commercial?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lntf_Mv4P9Q

Look at 0:42 seconds!
Taylor 314CE
Modulus G2T and G3CT
3 Warmoth Guitars
2 Fender MIA Strats--SRV & JM
Alvarez w/ Modulus Neck and EMG DG-20s
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 w/ 1960a cab
Breedlove AC250/SM12
Gold Tone Weissenborn
Adrenalinn III & FCB1010
ALOT of pedals
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
how can they pplay my generation, have the words ultimate bas on the screen, and not play the bass solo?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
UG don't own the words Ultimate and Guitar.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
... bastards
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Sue-age time!
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Well, I don't think you can own a word so I'm sure its perfectly legal, plus if people are google'ing "Ultimate Band" perhaps they will stumple upon UG and then they will actually learn guitar.

Origionaly Posted by CTFOD
Origionaly Posted by hownowbrowncow:
Get a new bicycle
Then you can ride it with no handlebars.

No handlebars.

No handlebars...
Quote by madbasslover
As soon as "Ultimate Drums" came on screen, I knew what was going to happen.

I didn't and then when "Ultimate Guitar" popped up I was like "Hey this looks prettWAIT A DAMN MINUTE!"
Wonderful.

I've noticed that Disney has been cashing in on everything made popular by someone else (new cartoons made because of the Spiderman, Transformers, and Iron Man movies, to name a few).

But now they are making a Wii-mote knockoff of Guitar Hero/Rock Band? I fvcking hate what Disney has become.
Quote by archangels666
But it does own the words "Ultimate Guitar."

No, it doesn't even own the domain name Ultimate Guitar. It owns Ultimate-guitar

watch: www.ultimateguitar.com
Quote by dudius
Wonderful.

I've noticed that Disney has been cashing in on everything made popular by someone else (new cartoons made because of the Spiderman, Transformers, and Iron Man movies, to name a few).

But now they are making a Wii-mote knockoff of Guitar Hero/Rock Band? I fvcking hate what Disney has become.

Disney was built on ripping off public domain childrens' stories, this is nothing new.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington

Maybe, if UG was american and liked to sue everyone for not being told their hot coffee was hot...
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Last edited by OddOneOut at Nov 18, 2008,
If UG was american it probably would have been shut down along with MXtabs at lest 3 or 4 times by now.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by OddOneOut
Maybe if UG was american and liked to sue everyone for not being told their hot coffee was hot...

Well, they should have told me it was hot! I'm American, it's not like I can read the warning on the cup! Seriously though, the sue-craziness in this country is ridiculous. If UG was American, it totally WOULD sue.
Yep, UG should go up to the makers and say "You're SO Sued!!!" -South Park style.
Don't buy Guitar Hero.
Buy Guitar Pro.

My Gear: (That I actually use)

ESP Edwards E-CY-165 CTM
Vox Saturator
Vox AD50VT
Vox Tonelab LE
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Burn them all!

Also, who was that ****ting all over My Generation?
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Disney was built on ripping off public domain childrens' stories, this is nothing new.

As true as this is, they made great stories and did have some great originals.
Quote by madbasslover
Well, they should have told me it was hot! I'm American, it's not like I can read the warning on the cup! Seriously though, the sue-craziness in this country is ridiculous. If UG was American, it totally WOULD sue.

It wouldn't exist. Metallica would have sued it into oblivion.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
I like how the bass player was black, even with a fake console bass they put a black guy playing it.
Quote by Portuguese_boy
I like how the bass player was black, even with a fake console bass they put a black guy playing it.

lolz
Taylor 314CE
Modulus G2T and G3CT
3 Warmoth Guitars
2 Fender MIA Strats--SRV & JM
Alvarez w/ Modulus Neck and EMG DG-20s
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 w/ 1960a cab
Breedlove AC250/SM12
Gold Tone Weissenborn
Adrenalinn III & FCB1010
ALOT of pedals
Quote by Våd Hamster
Russians don't sue people, they send ex-KGB agents after them.

With Plutonium...
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by madbasslover

True enough, true enough. They'd probably sue the government if they could.

They could so the government, but for what?

The thing about the American legal system is that everything is open to interpretation, and minor technicalities can help a person win or lose a case. If I went to Wal Mart and someone said something that I could bend as offensive, I could sue Wal Mart for what the employee had done. Crazy? I think so, but it's all because of the technicality that the employee is representing Wal Mart. Hell, if the employee was wearing a name tag that said Wal Mart on it and then harassed someone at McDonald's, the person at McDonald's could sue Wal Mart for the same thing.
Quote by dudius
They could so the government, but for what?

The thing about the American legal system is that everything is open to interpretation, and minor technicalities can help a person win or lose a case. If I went to Wal Mart and someone said something that I could bend as offensive, I could sue Wal Mart for what the employee had done. Crazy? I think so, but it's all because of the technicality that the employee is representing Wal Mart. Hell, if the employee was wearing a name tag that said Wal Mart on it and then harassed someone at McDonald's, the person at McDonald's could sue Wal Mart for the same thing.

Oh, I know they could. I was joking. The American legal system is really quite ridiculous, it needs to be reformed.
Quote by cagnius
Wow, you really don't have a clue.

Did I miss something? Everything I said was correct, so unless madbasslover was stating that Metallica didn't have a case against the government, I don't know why you don't think I have a clue.

EDIT:
Quote by madbasslover
Oh, I know they could. I was joking. The American legal system is really quite ridiculous, it needs to be reformed.

Dammit, you posted while I was writing a post. I have a hard time reading sarcasm when people don't add the :eyeroll: or [sarcasm] unless it's just blatant.
Quote by cagnius
Because you don't understand the fundamentals of tort/delict law, that's why.

I know the basics, so tell me where I was wrong. I know the example I used (simple harassment) isn't something you can gain money on, but let's change all of that to "You walk into Wal Mart and an employee beats the living **** out of you". Then you could sue Wal Mart for lots of money.
Last edited by dudius at Nov 18, 2008,
Quote by dudius
Dammit, you posted while I was writing a post. I have a hard time reading sarcasm when people don't add the :eyeroll: or [sarcasm] unless it's just blatant.

Well, just about everything I say is sarcastic to some degree.
Quote by cagnius
That you actually need to show damnum injuria datum. Simple insults do not found a claim in defamation. The courts simply wouldn't tolerate it. So to call someone an abusive name will not justify a breach of tort/delict.

Furthermore, if anything so spurious ever was to get to court (which it wouldn't), it would be under the law of vicarious liability and the employer could recoup the money from the employee.

Want me to continue?

I edited the post which you quoted because I realized my original example was incredibly weak. And I'm sorry you need to feel like you're taking me to school when I asked you to show me where I was wrong, that's my way of asking people to fix my misconceptions.
Quote by TEK34
Is Ultimate Guitar a registered trademark/copyrighted?

At the bottom of the homepage it says
Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2007

It doesn't say they've copyrighted the words "ultimate guitar"
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by ScottB.
how can they pplay my generation, have the words ultimate bas on the screen, and not play the bass solo?

i like the solos in the green day version

F*CK THAT SH*T!
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Quote by cagnius
Exactly. So a long story short, I was correct (again).

That doesn't really mean much. You don't need to put the copyright logo for material to actually be protected.

If they've registered the Trade Mark, it would be another issue all together. Passing off would also work.

I'm aware of that. I was just pointing out that that would suggest they have some form of copyright.

Question: Could they sue the owner of www.ultimateguitar.com
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by freddaahh
Burn them all!

Also, who was that ****ting all over My Generation?

I'm not sure, but I think sh*tting is a bit light. It's more like "farting while having diarrhoea all over".
The Who just go pebbledashed.
Page 1 of 2