Whats up? I'm trying to download torrents with bittorrent and it doesn't work at my university, nor lime wire. I've tried to plug in the cat 5 connector instead of using the wireless connection but no worky. I can download fps games and videos fine, However when it comes to file sharing programs it won't connect. Does anyone know what kind of firewall my university might use and is there a way around it?
probably because your uni blocks those programs
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
Ask your IT people if you're allowed P2P. That by itself is not illegal, so they should give you a straight answer for it.
Quote by APE20
Whats up? I'm trying to download torrents with bittorrent and it doesn't work at my university, nor lime wire. I've tried to plug in the cat 5 connector instead of using the wireless connection but no worky. I can download fps games and videos fine, However when it comes to file sharing programs it won't connect. Does anyone know what kind of firewall my university might use and is there a way around it?

DO NOT TORRENT, OR USE P2P PROGRAMS ON CAMPUS. DON'T.
Co-Founder of the Puttsecks Group

Listen to my Lux Aeterna remix and other random songs! Comments?

Quote by ShelbyLynn
vicd08, your avatar is suckin up my life, and stealing my thoughts...

Quote by HanPlaysBass
I just want to say that your avatar is simply the best thing in creation.
torrents can cause all sorts of network problems so i can see those being blocked, and limewire is loaded with viruses and crap so same deal there.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by vicd08
DO NOT TORRENT, OR USE P2P PROGRAMS ON CAMPUS. DON'T.

Why so serious?
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
torrents can cause all sorts of network problems so i can see those being blocked, and limewire is loaded with viruses and crap so same deal there.

only network problems you'd get is overloading because of all of the people using it and it would only make the network slow
Quote by musical donkey
Are you actually that retarded, or do you just do a great impression?
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Quote by cyclobs
only network problems you'd get is overloading because of all of the people using it and it would only make the network slow

if the torrents aren't configured right, all of the packet switching causes issues even if only a few people are using it.

Last.fm
Quote by APE20
Why so serious?

Just making it known. At least in the US, most colleges have strict anit-piracy policies. My friend accidently let a torrent continue to download when he came back from his house, and had an email the next day about it from the university, saying he would face criminal charges if it happened again.
Co-Founder of the Puttsecks Group

Listen to my Lux Aeterna remix and other random songs! Comments?

Quote by ShelbyLynn
vicd08, your avatar is suckin up my life, and stealing my thoughts...

Quote by HanPlaysBass
I just want to say that your avatar is simply the best thing in creation.
You'll get criminal charges same as in the US if you are caught downloading illegally. Is with us anyways. They block all P2P and torrent programmes from being run.
My Gear:

Washburn 6 String Bantam Series

Fender Mexican P-Bass

Farida Stratocaster

Peavey TNT115S
Quote by vicd08
Just making it known. At least in the US, most colleges have strict anit-piracy policies. My friend accidently let a torrent continue to download when he came back from his house, and had an email the next day about it from the university, saying he would face criminal charges if it happened again.

Oh well if I had a way to download torrents at the library then I would run into that problem would I?
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
if the torrents aren't configured right, all of the packet switching causes issues even if only a few people are using it.

not really.

they just wont work proplery if they arnt configured right
Quote by musical donkey
Quote by matt169
You'll get criminal charges same as in the US if you are caught downloading illegally. Is with us anyways. They block all P2P and torrent programmes from being run.

You don't get criminal charges in the US, the RIAA just sues you.

Quote by cyclobs
not really.

they just wont work proplery if they arnt configured right

no, it can actually crash networks, it's happened to more than once with people using torrents through my (at the time unsecured) router, and I know it's happened with smaller public wifi networks as well.

Last.fm
Quote by matt169

I can see your point in why not to use it, but I could get away with it unless they were going to run and catch someone using a random connection in the library before they leave.
Quote by APE20
Oh well if I had a way to download torrents at the library then I would run into that problem would I?

How did you manage a place at university with such Godawful grammar?
wrong thread =/

anyway you wont be able to, it's illegal.. dont do it
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Quote by MightyAl
How did you manage a place at university with such Godawful grammar?

Why are you so quick to make yourself look like an ass?
Quote by APE20
I can see your point in why not to use it, but I could get away with it unless they were going to run and catch someone using a random connection in the library before they leave.

Dude just don't even bother trying. It won't let you. End of.
My Gear:

Washburn 6 String Bantam Series

Fender Mexican P-Bass

Farida Stratocaster

Peavey TNT115S
Quote by APE20
Why are you so quick to make yourself look like an ass?

Because I have the reflexes of a hawk.
Quote by matt169

they would be hard pressed to just not let you, it's a matter of finding an open port.

Last.fm
Quote by matt169

Fine.