So yeah, I talked to the jazz band director today, as my bass teacher and I both feel I would benefit from it.

If anyone could give me suggestions on something to play for an audition, that would be great. I can audition any time before Christmas.
go with something you know and like. if you don't like it at all you wont try very hard to practice it. Carry on my wayward son by Kansasis a pretty good one and is of average difficulty.
It is still my opinion that a lightning rod atop of a church shows a lack of confidence.

Quote by watchingmefall
Love has no boundaries. Except maybe dead people and liking your mom.
Maybe you could ask your bass teacher for some suggestions or find out what songs they have played in the past or something and try one of those.
I don't play bass so I don't know of a good song.
Quote by BassMRSI
go with something you know and like. if you don't like it at all you wont try very hard to practice it. Carry on my wayward son by Kansasis a pretty good one and is of average difficulty.

If I were a jazz band leader auditioning a bassist, which I am, only I am the bassist and so am not auditioning one, I wouldn't given half a wooden nickel whether someone could play some rock riff they've played a million times.

Jazz bands want someone who 1. has good time and 2. can walk. It's all about the walkin'. Thinking on your feet and using your theory and your ears.

You need to find yourself a well-known jazz standard and simply walk to it, maybe eventually taking a solo, depending on the kind of jazz.
Brush up on your scales, arpeggios, etc so that it is easier for you to come up with a walking line on the spot if you ever have to.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by Arbitror
If I were a jazz band leader auditioning a bassist, which I am, only I am the bassist and so am not auditioning one, I wouldn't given half a wooden nickel whether someone could play some rock riff they've played a million times.

Jazz bands want someone who 1. has good time and 2. can walk. It's all about the walkin'. Thinking on your feet and using your theory and your ears.

You need to find yourself a well-known jazz standard and simply walk to it, maybe eventually taking a solo, depending on the kind of jazz.

point taken, the ablitity to read sheet music is also a very good thing to learn if you havn't taken the time yet. scales and modes or other such things will help you to walk more easily as well.
It is still my opinion that a lightning rod atop of a church shows a lack of confidence.

Quote by watchingmefall
Love has no boundaries. Except maybe dead people and liking your mom.
for jazz bands, sheet music, modes and scales are a must. Unless you're like me, and you've learned to fake it so well, noone even notices... :-D

I CAN'T READ!
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by ele1122
So yeah, I talked to the jazz band director today, as my bass teacher and I both feel I would benefit from it.

If anyone could give me suggestions on something to play for an audition, that would be great. I can audition any time before Christmas.

The Chicken - Jaco Pastorius.
Quote by Arbitror

+1

Learn to walk very well. It's harder than it looks too. If you can't read bass clef then learn that as well.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Walking is almost 100% irrelevant in your average high school situation. To be able to walk is good, but being able to read is much more important. Ask the director for a bass chart or two they've played in the past and play him segments from it (them) that show what you're worth. That's probably your best bet.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Walking is almost 100% irrelevant in your average high school situation. To be able to walk is good, but being able to read is much more important. Ask the director for a bass chart or two they've played in the past and play him segments from it (them) that show what you're worth. That's probably your best bet.

Reading is pretty important....I still haven't mastered bass clef, I'm too used to treble.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Guys, you misunderstood. I'm taking private lessons, so I'm not worrying about my theory. I just need a song that would be good to play, just so he knows I don't suck.
For most high school jazz bands its going to be the ability to sight read and be a good member of the rhthym section and being able to apply musical dynamics in your playing.

Find a good jazz standard (your teacher can assist) for your auditon piece. Don't go over the top, just keep in moderate in difficultly. And also ask if you will have to sight read; every band audition I did for jazz band in high school involved some sight reading.
Quote by ele1122
Guys, you misunderstood. I'm taking private lessons, so I'm not worrying about my theory. I just need a song that would be good to play, just so he knows I don't suck.

How good are you? If i was you i'd choose something simple and then improvise off that. Like, so what by miles davis, or Mr. Pc (<3), sunny gets blue?
Play the melody to Work Song.

I have music for it, I'll send it to you if you like.

Once I get my scanner to work.

then after that ask him to give you a chart and sight-read it.

then ask for a chord progression and walk over it.

these are the most important things for a Jazz Band
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
play Happy Birthday, and improvise off of it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by ele1122

doesn't matter that you're "taking lessons" to learn that stuff, if you don't know it and you play something well, they'll just skip over you to the guy who does know theory. It's more important to know theory (modes, scales, keys, sight reading) in Jazz and Blues than just memorizing notes. So, you learn your scales and keys, so if they say, "12 bar in G" you know EXACTLY what to play and how to walk it in variation to keep it interesting.
Quote by Thomme
doesn't matter that you're "taking lessons" to learn that stuff, if you don't know it and you play something well, they'll just skip over you to the guy who does know theory. It's more important to know theory (modes, scales, keys, sight reading) in Jazz and Blues than just memorizing notes. So, you learn your scales and keys, so if they say, "12 bar in G" you know EXACTLY what to play and how to walk it in variation to keep it interesting.

Um, what I meant is that I know how to read music, and we are currently working on my keys and scales.

Thanks for the help guys, but I upon telling my teacher the news, he said he has something for me to use for the audition.
Quote by Hammerzeit
The Chicken - Jaco Pastorius.

Definitely. I'm in my second year of Jazz band as the bassist and that is still my favorite song. It's got a good soul part at the beginning with some runs and arpeggios, and then the rest is just good funk that shows a good variety of technique. Also if you can, my arrangement had a very intricate part during the solo section that would show technique well.

I also agree that you will need to be able to read very well, but probably even more so know your theory like the back of your hand. Scales, modes, and the like are very important. My director often just gives us a key, tells us the style (swing, blues, pop, bossa nova, etc.) and counts us off.
Quote by ele1122
Um, what I meant is that I know how to read music, and we are currently working on my keys and scales.

Thanks for the help guys, but I upon telling my teacher the news, he said he has something for me to use for the audition.

so, you can site read? They could put music down on the stand in front of you and, "bam: perfect!"? And if they told you to play in Cb, you'd be able?
Quote by Thomme
for jazz bands, sheet music, modes and scales are a must. Unless you're like me, and you've learned to fake it so well, noone even notices... :-D

I CAN'T READ!

Wow. You're so cool...
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.