Poll Options
View poll results: Which guitarrrrrr?
Dean Razorback V Standard
7 23%
Jackson RR3
24 77%
Voters: 31.
okay.

so i *think i* passed my grade 8 piano, which means NEW GUITAR DAY soon...

i have to choose. ever since i went to GAK , ive been choosing between.

the jackson rr3..

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/1254

and the dean razorback v standard.

http://www.themusicking.co.uk/dean-razorback-v-standard-metallic-red-inc.-case

i loved both of them.

pros:

jackson: trem, small, light, awesome shape.
dean: trem, unusual shape, actual SD pickup, neck through.

cons:

jackson: harder to sit down with, bolt on.
dean: heavier, apparently the LFR isn't as good as the one on the jackson?

so as you can see, it's pretty balanced. so ill put it to the people's vote!

jackson or dean? which will it be?
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Jackson make good guitars, but dude, you should never turn down Dean! Their quality of build and sound is awesome in all of their models...
RR3 will be built better and have a better finish. I would say it will actually be fairly easy to sit with, as it was design to be played classical-style when sitting down. The MLs you can sit with conventionally, but it will leave your arm at a bit of an odd angle that gets old pretty fast. The Jackson also has better pickups. I haven't heard a lot about the trems of the Deans, but for something made in Korea, they should be an OFR.
Quote by CJRocker
RR3 will be built better and have a better finish. I would say it will actually be fairly easy to sit with, as it was design to be played classical-style when sitting down. The MLs you can sit with conventionally, but it will leave your arm at a bit of an odd angle that gets old pretty fast. The Jackson also has better pickups. I haven't heard a lot about the trems of the Deans, but for something made in Korea, they should be an OFR.

Jackson has better pups?

i thought they were only duncan designed, whereas the dimebucker is a proper SD?

Quote by cornmancer
Quote by Hoodoo Child
okay.

so i *think i* passed my grade 8 piano, which means NEW GUITAR DAY soon...

i have to choose. ever since i went to GAK , ive been choosing between.

the jackson rr3..

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/1254

and the dean razorback v standard.

http://www.themusicking.co.uk/dean-razorback-v-standard-metallic-red-inc.-case

i loved both of them.

pros:

jackson: trem, small, light, awesome shape.
dean: trem, unusual shape, actual SD pickup, neck through.

cons:

jackson: harder to sit down with, bolt on.
dean: heavier, apparently the LFR isn't as good as the one on the jackson?

so as you can see, it's pretty balanced. so ill put it to the people's vote!

jackson or dean? which will it be?

I'd definately go for the jackson or a BC Rich Deluxe V. Deans are horridly overpriced and not really worth it. For the record the Jackson has 2 REAL Seymour duncan pups and and the dean has 1 real SD pickup in the bridge and a dean stock in the neck. The SH-13 in the dean is liked be some and hated by others so thats up to you but it was never actually used by dimebag just incase that was something you were thinking about. Also the necks on deans are thicker while the jackson necks are thinner. Again your preference. The FR on the jackson is considered a poor mans OFR while the LFR on the razorback are pretty standard in the LFR catergory. A BC rich Deluxe V would be around the same price except, neck though, with an OFR and with EMG pups. I have the same set of jackson pups in my DK2m and they sound great for everything.

Edit: The RR3 has a sh-2 in the neck and a TB-4 in the bridge and they are authentic Seymour Duncan.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
I'd definately go for the jackson or a BC Rich Deluxe V. Deans are horridly overpriced and not really worth it. For the record the Jackson has 2 REAL Seymour duncan pups and and the dean has 1 real SD pickup in the bridge and a dean stock in the neck. The SH-13 in the dean is liked be some and hated by others so thats up to you but it was never actually used by dimebag just incase that was something you were thinking about. Also the necks on deans are thicker while the jackson necks are thinner. Again your preference. The FR on the jackson is considered a poor mans OFR while the LFR on the razorback are pretty standard in the LFR catergory. A BC rich Deluxe V would be around the same price except, neck though, with an OFR and with EMG pups. I have the same set of jackson pups in my DK2m and they sound great for everything.

Edit: The RR3 has a sh-2 in the neck and a TB-4 in the bridge and they are authentic Seymour Duncan.

damn, you just made my choice a whole lot harder.

what about the bolt on/set neck thing?
is it really a major issue? or is it a small compromise for a much better guitar ?

Quote by cornmancer
Quote by Hoodoo Child
damn, you just made my choice a whole lot harder.

what about the bolt on/set neck thing?
is it really a major issue? or is it a small compromise for a much better guitar ?

Bolt'ons get the best sustain apparently but its more of a comfort thing I guess. I used to play a les paul with a set neck and personally I find the bolt on on my Jackson DK2m to be more comfortable as it seems to get in the way less. It's mostly a preference thing but you will get used to either fairly quickly.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
Bolt'ons get the best sustain apparently but its more of a comfort thing I guess. I used to play a les paul with a set neck and personally I find the bolt on on my Jackson DK2m to be more comfortable as it seems to get in the way less. It's mostly a preference thing but you will get used to either fairly quickly.

i thought it was the other way around.....

i thought set necks had the most sustain

Quote by cornmancer
Quote by Hoodoo Child
i thought it was the other way around.....

i thought set necks had the most sustain

Well it used to be thought of as Neck though had the most, then set neck, then bolt on had the least. Which is a more traditional way to think of it but now everyone seems to think of it

Bolt on =most, set =more, neck through = least

Honestly I think things like your technique, amp and the body woods are much more important from sustain standpoint and if there is a difference I dont think anyone listening will pick up any difference between 3 guitars of the same quality.

What styles of music is the guitar for and what amp would you be using?
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
Well it used to be thought of as Neck though had the most, then set neck, then bolt on had the least. Which is a more traditional way to think of it but now everyone seems to think of it

Bolt on =most, set =more, neck through = least

Honestly I think things like your technique, amp and the body woods are much more important from sustain standpoint and if there is a difference I dont think anyone listening will pick up any difference between 3 guitars of the same quality.

What styles of music is the guitar for and what amp would you be using?

aha i forgot to mention that, sorry

erm anything from punk to metal.
and a small pratice amp at the moment, but im looking to buy a marshall jcm 800 soon from ebay .
atm, im using a zoom g2.1u too.

Quote by cornmancer
Go for the Jackson, is less expensive but it has better pick ups and as Slanderous666 mentioned the tremolo can be replaced if it really isn't that good.
That Dean is really not the good ones they make, whereas the Jackson is a good guitar.
Is really up to you but I will just say that the Dean is not worth over the Jackson; I've played them both before and the Dean really just doesn't feel or sound too special to me and the confort thing about sitting down is just a matter of getting used to it.

By the way Slanderous666, from what I know neck-thru has the best sustain because the neck wood makes direct contact with the body, as fas as I know anyways.
I've played a few deans, the Jackson feels alot nicer to play, but the dean left me with a "meh" feeling, wasnt really impressed. The jackson sounds better too, and the tremolos very good for a licenced one.
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
If you have the $$ the dean is niceee
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
Honestly the Dean trem isn't as bad as people say they are. I know tons of people with Deans and none of them have bad licensed trems. Plus the Dean is mahogany and neck through so you have much better sustain. If you want to save money than the Jackson is definitely not a bad choice, it's just Deans get trashed around here for not a very good reason.
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
Quote by shredforbread33
Honestly the Dean trem isn't as bad as people say they are. I know tons of people with Deans and none of them have bad licensed trems. Plus the Dean is mahogany and neck through so you have much better sustain. If you want to save money than the Jackson is definitely not a bad choice, it's just Deans get trashed around here for not a very good reason.

It doesn't matter what the wood or neck joint is in this case, because the floating trem kills your sustain anyway. Even if it's a hardtail there's hardly a difference between bolt-on and neck through.

Go with the Jackson. It's going to be better built than the dean, and it has better pickups (Dimebucker = ). And personally, I think it looks a hell of a lot better than the Dean, which I think looks tacky with the massive headstock (and wouldn't that give it major neck dive?).
Quote by which ones pink
It doesn't matter what the wood or neck joint is in this case, because the floating trem kills your sustain anyway. Even if it's a hardtail there's hardly a difference between bolt-on and neck through.

Go with the Jackson. It's going to be better built than the dean, and it has better pickups (Dimebucker = ). And personally, I think it looks a hell of a lot better than the Dean, which I think looks tacky with the massive headstock (and wouldn't that give it major neck dive?).

it doesn't have major neck dive

i stood up with it when i tried it

i still don't know

Quote by cornmancer
Quote by shredforbread33

They get trashed for charging too much for a guiar that looks awesome but sounds/feels like a guitar that is worth alot less to most people. If you like them then they are the guitar for you and more power to you. But when your paying 900-1000 dollars and getting a LFR and only one decent pup. These kinds of things.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
tough choice, though I'd say you're doing well either way ya go...
I'd say go RR3 unless you just don't like the thought of the bolt on neck...
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders