hey guys
so my new alvarez is good, i just needa customize the pickups to make MY sound!

right now it has EMGs (not sure which kind) for every pick, whatever kind alvarez used...
they are not really that sound I'm looking for.. theyre too heavy when i up the distortion

i have a 3single coil strat so i dont want my humbuckers to sound like single coils, but i do like that more distinct sound (hence the HSH instead of the HH)

what kind of pickups should I get (for the 2 humbucks and 1 single coil; if i needa change the single coil)

i love reggae (slightly stoopid, passerby - dispatch), and i want to be able to have that heavier sound (here we go - dispatch, cortez the killer - warren hayes w/DMB, beautiful disaster - 311)
any ideas?

i looked at Gibson Dirty Fingers which seemed kinda cool, as well as the Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded Humbucker Set which looked cool as well
thanks!
Taylor 314CE
Modulus G2T and G3CT
3 Warmoth Guitars
2 Fender MIA Strats--SRV & JM
Alvarez w/ Modulus Neck and EMG DG-20s
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 w/ 1960a cab
Breedlove AC250/SM12
Gold Tone Weissenborn
Adrenalinn III & FCB1010
ALOT of pedals
Look into Bareknuckle pickups. They are expensive, but worth it. E-mail Tim (the CEO) with your requirements, how you want to sound etc... and he'll e-mail you back some recommendations.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
If you really want to find a good match for the guitar, the type of body wood would be helpful for us to know. How do you want your tone to sound? Thick low end, smooth, rough - lots of highs? Pickups will help a deal, but a lot of your tone, most of it, comes from the amp.

Just something to consider.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
thanks for the help guys
the bareknuckle guy is in the UK and im in the US so i dont know if its worth that...

See I am not sure how to describe the sound
i want it clear so its not "muddy"
i want a thicker sound though, since my strat has that articulation im looking for

im not sure what rough or lots of highs means...
or what kind of wood my guitar has

i know my amp makes a good deal of it, but i want mainly want that what my strat is missing
songs like these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEeTVg3fkeg - Jimi Baby - Slightly stoopid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmSi_XGiVAE - Passerby - Dispatch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSHEVGsXTJg - beautiful disaster - 311
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abrKM1Z_te8 - californication live - rhcp

stuff like that that all use humbucks
thanks!
Taylor 314CE
Modulus G2T and G3CT
3 Warmoth Guitars
Breedlove AC250/SM12
Gold Tone Weissenborn
Adrenalinn III & FCB1010
ALOT of pedals
i don't have time to check all those youtube links, but i think you probably want to look at lower output humbuckers... the pickups you're currently looking at, while a little lower in output than emgs, are still pretty high output...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
so do pickups only matter with output?
Taylor 314CE
Modulus G2T and G3CT
3 Warmoth Guitars
Breedlove AC250/SM12
Gold Tone Weissenborn
Adrenalinn III & FCB1010
ALOT of pedals
oh no, tone will matter too, just you said your current pickups were too hot, so it'd make sense to go for cooler ones with less output...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ohh alright
now im starting to get the terminology
i figured the seymour duncan cool rails will be good for the single coil
now the humbuckers i gotta figure out

is there a place i can like listen to/hear different pickups?
im trying youtube but am having difficulty listening to different pickups
Taylor 314CE
Modulus G2T and G3CT
3 Warmoth Guitars
Breedlove AC250/SM12
Gold Tone Weissenborn
Adrenalinn III & FCB1010
ALOT of pedals
yeah, on youtube the sound quality can be dodgy. most pickup manufacturers' websites will let you hear the pickups, but again it might not let you hear them all that well (or they might have a lot of post-production done to the clips).

i've also listened to a little of your links:

for the first one, i'd go single coil- you could let your middle pickup take care of that. cool rails might do it (i can't remember if i've tried cool rails or not), unless you need it to be noiseless, though, a "true" single coil might be a better idea.

for the second one, i'd say medium output humbuckers...

for the third, that's a bit of a heavier tone, but medium output humbuckers would probably do it if your amp can get heavy enough.
plus there's quite a range of tones in that third one, and almost single-coily tone too.

in the fourth one, frusciante seems to be using a gretsch, they have filtertron pickups (humbuckers, but quite sparkly, i think), so again lowish output humbuckers or maybe a single coil would get you roughly there.

what kind of budget do you have?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?